IGNORED

9 Handicapper pulling EVERYTHING left. Could it be my grip?

Note: This thread is 2604 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

While I'm made some definite improvements from the advice I've gotten, I know my problem is that I go Over The Top. I played baseball for years and years, year-round. After looking at my swings (I get a friend to record me every time i play now), It's something I see all the time. Even with a perfect takeaway I will revert to going over the top. I've read about going OTT and watched some Youtube videos of different professionals thoughts' on it but the natural feeling of going (a little) OTT is enough to throw my well-struck, balanced shots well left. 

Has anyone heard of any ex-baseball players with the same issue and if they found anything specially helpful in getting there?  

Much appreciation as always guys.

If you spend some time here with the advice that people get on swings, you'll find that each person is unique. Their own bad habits, their own background (baseball or otherwise), and whatever else.

The site typically promotes the same common themes for a better swing (steady head, weight forward on downswing, etc), but each person may not have the same priority in order to achieve these. It all depends on what it seems you are doing in your swing, and people can work with that. I doubt all baseball players would even have the exact same patterns, and the same fixes. I could be wrong.

I think that's why people seeking out advice on youtube usually ends in failure. While a piece of advice might be great, it might not apply to someone or it could be irrelevant to them based on what's going on with their swing. 

It all boils down to getting a top notch instructor to help figure out the key thing FOR YOU is. 

I see you've got a swing thread, and @mvmac has given you some ideas (he's obviously one of the best here). The swing thread is the best place to move forward for your specific issue, I think.

For what it's worth, I created a thread on steepness:

It wasn't to talk about my own specific steepness issue, but to allow a lot of us who are working on that to share what has and has not worked.

So anyway, what I'm driving at is that if you want to discuss OTT in general, then a thread would be appropriate for that. If you want to have a thread for common causes of pulling the ball left (like this one), then that is good too. But once we start talking about specific stuff for ourselves, the "My Swing" thread typically works the best.

By the way, I do notice in your swing thread that you go back shallow, and you start down steep (I think I see that anyway). So the thread above might actually be of interest to you. I had that issue, and I've been working hard this past year to get it ironed out. You can see in that thread and in my swing thread how it's going. But to make a long story short, I think tackling this issue has made me a much better golfer. It is worth it to figure it out.

Hope that helps. Oh, here are some OTT threads:

https://thesandtrap.com/search/?&q=the&tags=over the top&eitherTermsOrTags=or

• Upvote 2

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2604 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!