IGNORED

Hacker James Backyard Practice Net (and Accoutrements)

Note: This thread is 1951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Tour Striker Educator clone.

Just everybody knows to use a plastic coat hanger. Here is one with a "twist" literally...

Cut coat hangar in half just before the "hook"  heat the end about 1 1/2 inches with a match to soften it and simply bend it at that point to 45 degrees. CAUTION. use a wet rag or glove or you will burn your finger. This will mimic the Educator's 45 degree position.  Affix to your golf club with a couple of "hair bungies" or elastic cord. 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/1/2017 at 5:29 PM, Hacker James said:

THE HACKER WHACKER

Simple Tempo Trainer.  I tried my hand at creating a video knowing that I simply "detest" being on camera, and am just too self conscious. So please, disregard my crappy swing, and look at the device if you will.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!Ai4ErI93IDVslhEe_ssA4Yhw40Kl

Not bad. :-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On ‎3‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 12:33 PM, Hacker James said:

I've really got too much time on my hands....... Kinda like Lucky Strike Cigarettes...Over-under-around-and (Heaven forbid)  .. Through.

58c04dea339f4_shot_shaping_001.thumb.JPG.3a10d852fc22f5467d5af18f340b52f5.JPG

@Hacker James can you putt on that turf also?  Sorry if someone asked that already, just now reading thru this from the beginning to the end.  Really nice set up

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

49 minutes ago, djake said:

@Hacker James can you putt on that turf also?  Sorry if someone asked that already, just now reading thru this from the beginning to the end.  Really nice set up

Not really with any degree of accuracy. It is more like fairway grass if you are talking a bout the artificial lawn. Better to buy one of those el cheapo putting greens with built in ball return for around $30. You can hit off the lawn though. Thanks.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

41 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

Not really with any degree of accuracy. It is more like fairway grass if you are talking a bout the artificial lawn. Better to buy one of those el cheapo putting greens with built in ball return for around $30. You can hit off the lawn though. Thanks.

My wife wants me to put in our back yard a practice green built out of artificial turf. I am having a hard time taking out the natural grass to do it.  Crazy, the one golf thing The Boss wants and I am being the road block.   

- Dean

Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6

(edited)
33 minutes ago, djake said:

My wife wants me to put in our back yard a practice green built out of artificial turf. I am having a hard time taking out the natural grass to do it.  Crazy, the one golf thing The Boss wants and I am being the road block.   

It can be very labor intensive. Digging out  bermuda, compacting, repeat over and over. Then laying in a couple of yards of rock for a border with dozens of trips with wheel barrow transporting from driveway to rear yard. Probably a ton of rock. If you are doing it, I highly recommend laying in a 3 inch base of decomposed granite and using a plate compactor. Otherwise, the ground will swell and shrink under the turf with rains and subsequent drying out, creating bumps and hollows. I got by without doing so, but it took a LOT of work!  do NOT use sand, as it will not compact, only spread around.

lawn pep#5.jpg

lawn prep#1.jpg

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

2 hours ago, Hacker James said:

It can be very labor intensive. Digging out  bermuda, compacting, repeat over and over. Then laying in a couple of yards of rock for a border with dozens of trips with wheel barrow transporting from driveway to rear yard. Probably a ton of rock. If you are doing it, I highly recommend laying in a 3 inch base of decomposed granite and using a plate compactor. Otherwise, the ground will swell and shrink under the turf with rains and subsequent drying out, creating bumps and hollows. I got by without doing so, but it took a LOT of work!  do NOT use sand, as it will not compact, only spread around.

lawn pep#5.jpg

lawn prep#1.jpg

Great project photos James, I would probably use Class 5 as it packs nice and stays in place.  Your photos show just as I feared, a lot of work.  Plus add in wheel barrow loads up and down a steep hill, I just cannot psych myself for this project as much as I would enjoy a back yard putting green.

I may try some indoor outdoor carpet that I can roll up and roll down as a temporary trial.  But that would have to be fairly small as if it were to rain on it it would become a wet nightmare.

- Dean

(edited)
1 hour ago, djake said:

Great project photos James, I would probably use Class 5 as it packs nice and stays in place.  Your photos show just as I feared, a lot of work.  Plus add in wheel barrow loads up and down a steep hill, I just cannot psych myself for this project as much as I would enjoy a back yard putting green.

I may try some indoor outdoor carpet that I can roll up and roll down as a temporary trial.  But that would have to be fairly small as if it were to rain on it it would become a wet nightmare.

several TST members have built their own practice holes. Some quite professionally done with adequate drainage lines, rock, slope e.t.c.  Even bunkers require a lot more than there is to the eye, a lot more to it than just digging a hole and filling with sand.. I am sure you can search it out, or perhaps one or more of them will respond.

Home Depot has grass carpet 6 x 8 for around $20 that would work okay, or they have rolls of all grades of carpet sold by the foot.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

19 hours ago, Hacker James said:

several TST members have built their own practice holes. Some quite professionally done with adequate drainage lines, rock, slope e.t.c.  Even bunkers require a lot more than there is to the eye, a lot more to it than just digging a hole and filling with sand.. I am sure you can search it out, or perhaps one or more of them will respond.

Home Depot has grass carpet 6 x 8 for around $20 that would work okay, or they have rolls of all grades of carpet sold by the foot.

I have a 2 nets that I use in the backyard currently and the family enjoys hitting balls with me.  The 2nd net is set up to the right side to specifically catch wayward shots.  My wife and kids can tend to do that from time to time, hit the neighbors house once. The 2nd net stopped that.

I worked at a small town golf course for 6 years and built sand traps and such.  While it would be great to have a sand trap I just do not want the ongoing maintenance that it takes to keep it nice.

I really like your set up though 

- Dean

5 minutes ago, djake said:

I have a 2 nets that I use in the backyard currently and the family enjoys hitting balls with me.  The 2nd net is set up to the right side to specifically catch wayward shots.  My wife and kids can tend to do that from time to time, hit the neighbors house once. The 2nd net stopped that.

I

got photos?

"James"

(edited)
20 minutes ago, djake said:

I worked at a small town golf course for 6 years and built sand traps and such.  While it would be great to have a sand trap I just do not want the ongoing maintenance that it takes to keep it nice.

I really like your set up though 

in regards to errant shots....your post reminded me. The other day, while hitting the newly acquired "almost golf" balls, one went soaring over the net and into the neighbors yard. I had been focusing on a definite pause at the top of the swing. I don't know if it was because I hit up on the ball as I was trying, or maybe hitting on the crown and owing to the softness and lighter weight of the almost golf balls, it did not feel like a bad hit.  I think I will not use driver (or any tee;d up)  in practice sessions, except for "shadow" swinging.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

(edited)

for those few people who showed an interest, I've finally added a You Tube Video to the  instructions above for Universal Swing Plane Station.

Edited by iacas
embedded video
  • Informative 2

"James"

(edited)

The "Hacker Sack: Maintaining connection throughout the golf swing. (I am still a little camera shy, but starting to get a little more comfortable, and did this little bit in one take). I am definitey NOT an instructor, but just passing on some little things I have found helpful.

Edited by iacas
Please embed videos

"James"

• 3 weeks later...

Trivial.....make shift ball retriever.  

the other day, I popped a ball over the fence (five ft chain link with privacy slats) and could not get the ball back. I took a length of 1 1/2 inch PVC pipe and slipped on a tee fitting and found it to be the perfect size as a ball retriever.  A bit impractical for out on the course though. Anyway, got it back.

"James"

Impressions of a "dirty" ball.

Too lazy to use marker, or foot powder.  Here are 4 or 5 hits with my new six iron (Tour Edge Exi). The 1 deg upright, and 1/2 inch longer seems to suit me.

IMG_0866.thumb.JPG.cfc195c0232d46b10a79995cbddbe930.JPG

"James"

Just messing around getting familiar with Movie Maker

"James"

(edited)

"Twiddle Fart" (found a way to make the thing and "all in one")

IMG_0871.thumb.JPG.c28ebd46e104ae91ed7a115a32ec45a6.JPG

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

(edited)

Just testing something: (can not imbed, as it is not a single video)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXn7YTO419742dbTOKxgpig

(I wanted to see if I could paste the link to my You Tube Channel). This way I can load new items onto the channel and those few people interested can bring it up if they want, and not take up space in this thread. 

Mods; You can delete this post if it is not proper protocol.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

Note: This thread is 1951 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!