IGNORED

Help with generating power.. For people who go OTT

Note: This thread is 2622 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

One thing I've thought about is the weight of my club heads. My clubs feel like toothpicks. I'm interested if a heavier club head (irons) would give me a little more feel of the club head itself. I just feel like for me personally, I could maybe control it better and therefore the face too. Does this make sense or am I going down the wrong road? Is this an issue for some players? I feel like I'm at my best (for hitting fairways and GIR) when I keep my backswing short and if I had more feel of the club head.. the sweeter (and further) I should hit it. 

Also.. I tend to swing pretty aggressively most of the time which can throw off my tempo resulting in misses

On 3/16/2017 at 10:00 AM, sharpljp said:

this is about a 15 yard fade (one of my better shots honestly) with a three wood. You can see at the top, it's like I can't help but turn my body left like i would in baseball. I don't let the arms fall. When I do try to let the arms fall, I either miss-hit it or it doesn't have much power behind it.

I'm not an instructor or an expert, but I have struggled with a lot of the problems you are having.  

Your back swing is too long.  Your arms and shoulders are becoming disconnected at the top of the back swing.   When your shoulders stop rotating back, everything should stop. 

You need to keep your weight on the inside of the right foot.  It appears you are rolling onto the outside of the right foot. 

You need to get your shoulders tilted better.  If you don't tilt your shoulders, then on the down swing, your right shoulder will come out and not down, your hands will come out and not down, and you will have to pull down on the handle to get the club head on the ball. Pulling down on the handle causes the shaft to steepen, and the club head comes outside in, AND, you will have to cast the club and lose all your lag and all your power.  That's the dreaded over the top problem.   I know this because I spent the last 2 years getting out of it. 

Tilt your shoulders, flatten your swing.  Stay connected.  Then when you take your down swing, the shoulders lead the arms and you maintain your lag until you get in the hitting area. 

Here's a great drill: 

Pre-set drill

Notice how, if he takes the pre-set position, then simply rotates back to the top of the backswing, without moving his arms or hands, then he is in a perfect position at the top of the back swing, and on the down swing, he can just rotate back down without pulling on his hands or arms or "letting his arms fall" or anything like that.   The key is to stay connected with proper shoulder tilt. 

Edited by Marty2019
  • Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

While watching the pre set drill.. I think i get into that preset position.. that was what Mac helped me with by keeping my right palm facing down.. BUT i run into problems AFTER i get in that position by rotating my chest and letting my arms follow it.. it creates a "too shallow" plane.. i needed to get steeper.. but i guess my question is how? Practice obviously will help but I've always been thought to just rotate my chest and let the arms follow.. i think that right after i get to the "pre-set drill position" as Faldo demonstrates, i need to get vertical with my arms (should make the backswing my steeper) instead of following the chest and keeping my my swing so flat.

Does this make sense? I think i am close!

1 hour ago, sharpljp said:

While watching the pre set drill.. I think i get into that preset position.. that was what Mac helped me with by keeping my right palm facing down.. BUT i run into problems AFTER i get in that position by rotating my chest and letting my arms follow it.. it creates a "too shallow" plane.. i needed to get steeper.. but i guess my question is how? Practice obviously will help but I've always been thought to just rotate my chest and let the arms follow.. i think that right after i get to the "pre-set drill position" as Faldo demonstrates, i need to get vertical with my arms (should make the backswing my steeper) instead of following the chest and keeping my my swing so flat.

Does this make sense? I think i am close!

No, I disagree.  I think your backswing is way too long, and I think you should not be raising your arms at the top of the backswing or letting the club flop over like it does.  I also think you should keep your weight on the inside of the right foot instead of rolling your weight onto the outside of the right foot.  

The idea of the preset drill is, if you put yourself in that position, and then just turn your hips and shoulders, that's where your backswing should be, just like he does in the video.  You should stay connected.  Don't raise your arms.  Don't let the club flop over.  It looks like in your back swing, everything comes loose at the top and just keeps going and going until it's all flopped over your back like John Daly.  

But like I said, I am not an instructor or an expert.  It's just my opinion.  I may be wrong.  Take it with a grain of salt.   Maybe some real instructors can weigh in. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2622 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!