IGNORED

My Swing (RustyShackleford)

RustyShackleford
Note: This thread is 2588 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 2 Years
My current handicap index or average score is: 84 Average Score
My typical ball flight is: Mid/slight draw
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: Massive Pull Hook.

I've been playing golf for 2 years and a couple of months. Prior to that I played collegiate and semi professional baseball. This is my first post, the sand trap looks like a friendly and great community!

when I started out I had a huge flip and lots of early extension, I still fight the early extension and loss of tush line. For once I think I'm on the right path or at least slowly seeing the results, but still not a legit golf swing with lots of faults.

my impact position is so ugly :(

Video is a 7 Iron: what feels like a 3/4 swing, limited shoulder turn and not a full finish: 150 yards give or take. This is the only type of swing I have control over...but for now I'm afraid to go all out because my sequencing gets out of whack: I'm working my way towards a full swing/follow through.

all help is appreciated!

Videos: 

Edited by RustyShackleford
Add info.

• Administrator

A face-on video would show how little you're using your lower body.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

7 hours ago, RustyShackleford said:

I forgot to mention, my arms are long compared to my height: 74 inch wingspan, 71 inches tall.

Will this play a significant role in what my swing should look like?

Not really. It may affect your  lie angle if you got fitted. My arms are long too, but I still use standard length irons after a fitting. I'm 70 tall, 73 wingspan.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

(edited)
18 hours ago, iacas said:

A face-on video would show how little you're using your lower body.

I used to slide my hips forward and my arms were so far behind me that I had to time a huge flip in order to make contact.

Now I have the opposite problem lol

missspell

Ok since I didn't put up a full swing, here is my 3 wood full swing with a much better camera angle.

all help appreciated.

I'm losing some tush line but my hip rotation is so much better than it used to be.

The biggest thing I'm trying to do is calm that back leg and and keep the arms passive.

Anyone think I could use a little more right bend and less leg extension?

It's slow motion but to me it looks like an extremely aggressive movement to the left starting down with the body.  I'd like to see th normal speed to get a sense of tempo.  You look to do a good job of not bringing the clubhead out to the target line too soon even though you make this very aggressive initial shift to the left.  This pic kinda shows your back heel rising early coming down.  I really wouldn't say do this or that just advise you that momentum in golf from the top of the bs is almost like watching a child on a playground swing.  The child reaches the top of the swing and begins down smooth and slow and reaches maximum momentum at the bottom of the swing arc.  It's hard to see in a swing but initially from the top there doesn't need to be a massive body force applied.  Coming into and through the ball I would say it's good to accelerate but right from the top no.  You look athletic and sometimes aggression in the athletic sense can get the swing a little out of position compared to where it needs to be.

Its really very hard to explain what I am getting at well especially without a full speed video.  I would just advise to remember it's building momentum smoothly not creating force all at once from the top.

Heres the pic.  Right heel is up early (imo which is not pro.)  I think that's the cause of what you see as a need for less leg extension and more side bend at impact.

Golf swing is a lot about momentum in the clubhead and where it's going.  

Keep it simple...Swing down a bit slower smoother from the top and finish over the shoulder nice and smooth.

i think if you start slower you will see a different response from the body through impact and your swingpath will be better

IMG_1462.thumb.PNG.9fd88d2089ad873fbceeca8003f96991.PNG

Edited by Jack Watson
Added last line
  • Upvote 2

(edited)
52 minutes ago, Jack Watson said:

It's slow motion but to me it looks like an extremely aggressive movement to the left starting down with the body.  I'd like to see th normal speed to get a sense of tempo.  You look to do a good job of not bringing the clubhead out to the target line too soon even though you make this very aggressive initial shift to the left.  This pic kinda shows your back heel rising early coming down.  I really wouldn't say do this or that just advise you that momentum in golf from the top of the bs is almost like watching a child on a playground swing.  The child reaches the top of the swing and begins down smooth and slow and reaches maximum momentum at the bottom of the swing arc.  It's hard to see in a swing but initially from the top there doesn't need to be a massive body force applied.  Coming into and through the ball I would say it's good to accelerate but right from the top no.  You look athletic and sometimes aggression in the athletic sense can get the swing a little out of position compared to where it needs to be.

Its really very hard to explain what I am getting at well especially without a full speed video.  I would just advise to remember it's building momentum smoothly not creating force all at once from the top.

Heres the pic.  Right heel is up early (imo which is not pro.)  I think that's the cause of what you see as a need for less leg extension and more side bend at impact.

Golf swing is a lot about momentum in the clubhead and where it's going.  

Keep it simple...Swing down a bit slower smoother from the top and finish over the shoulder nice and smooth.

i think if you start slower you will see a different response from the body through impact and your swingpath will be better

IMG_1462.thumb.PNG.9fd88d2089ad873fbceeca8003f96991.PNG

Thanks for this!

You're spot on about me being aggressive from the top. This really puts it into perspective that I need to allow the body to sync up and gradually gain momentum.

It makes sense because I feel like I have to rush my leg work and can't really use the ground exactly how I want to.

I think it stems a lot from my past, specifically playing baseball for so long and needing to be aggressive and quick to time and hit a fastball.

one thing I'd like to do is have a little more squat at impacts, bent right arm and really turn through the shot instead of throwing my arms.

Heres what my 7 iron looks like: maybe a bit less aggressive than my 3 wood but still not quite synced up how I'd like.

Again, thanks for this and hopefully I can transform my swing into a smoother one :)

• Administrator
On 3/23/2017 at 1:36 AM, RustyShackleford said:

one thing I'd like to do is have a little more squat at impacts, bent right arm and really turn through the shot instead of throwing my arms.

You likely create very little secondary axis tilt. Your hips don't go forward much, I'd guess.

And, please… do not delete videos. Your first post is worthless without the video. This entire topic is severely devalued when you delete videos. You get free help here, and one of the rules is that you don't delete videos.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2588 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!