IGNORED

My journey to scratch

Note: This thread is 2505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I thought I would start a topic to share my experience of going from a 10 handicap to scratch. I'm not quite there yet, 1.2 based on last revision but I think I have learned a few things that might help others. Background info: I've played since I was 7, (33 now) other sports growing up took up most of my time, but started playing "seriously" in college. I didn't keep an official handicap then but I would guess I was around 4-6 handicap. Took three full years off after I graduated, and then played occasionally until 30. At 30, joined a club, got a handicap (started at 10) and have played at least twice a week since. I do take August-November off as I am a high school football coach and don't have the time. I am now down to 1.2, and I wanted to share what I think has helped and what I experienced. 

Full Swing- The biggest difference is in my full swing shots. Statistically I have improved my GIR greatly and I now average 12 GIR per round (since January). I have read a lot of books, watched a ton of video, got my first lesson, and have tinkered a lot. Probably too much. But once you grasp the ball flight laws and have priorities for your full swing motion it makes it easier to diagnose errors and execute more consistently. 5SK is a great resource. I play a stock ball flight, and do not shape shots unless gun to my head. I have found on every course I play, I can score better and hit more greens playing a stock draw as opposed to working the ball the other way. Hitting different trajectory windows is the only "shaping" I practice.

Pitching/Chipping- This is the biggest weakness and the area that has improved the least. Just like the full swing I have worked hard to have only 3 short game shots. Standard pitch, standard chip, standard bunker shot. I vary the trajectory by amount of shaft lean at address and keep technique the same. Like the full swing I tinkered way too much in the past. I am in no way a short game wiz, but solid enough to not make mistakes and get it up and down enough. Have a solid full swing and hit 12 greens a round and that takes a lot of pressure off. 

Putting- Aimpoint Express class and confidence. Practice 12 feet and in. That's it. Amazing how many putts you make when you have a routine and plan to make them.

Play for something every time- Beer bet with your buddies, money games with random people, and play as many tournament rounds that you can afford. If I play by myself, I take out 10 $1 bills and for every 3 putt or double bogey I take one away and give it to my wife at the end of the round. I see how many rounds I can keep those singles in my bag. Same goes for practice. Fear of loss and pressure make you better.

Random thoughts- Track your stats. Play the forward tees from time to time to get comfortable going low. Play with people that are better than you. Follow all rules of golf every time even in practice rounds. The difference between being a 5 hdcp and a 1 hdcp is minuscule, like one more green, one less penalty or punch out, one more 10 footer. Going from 5 to 1, however is hard and frustrating. You still hit awful shots and have awful rounds. But just like the 30 cap that thinks the perfect drive is what can be possible if they could just find consistency, you have to look at the bad rounds as the outliers that don't represent your game. The good rounds are the new standard.

Sorry for the long post, this polluted stream of consciousness got out of hand in a hurry...

• Upvote 2

Titleist 913 D3 project x 7c3
Trident Golf 3w, 5w Apollo stepless steel stiff+
Mizuno MP-60 (4-6) Mizuno MP-32 (7-9) S300
Titleist SM 5 46/50/54/58
SeeMore FGP Original SuperStroke fatso 5.0
Pro V1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I read that you like the draw and plenty of players shoot incredible scores with it, but if you aspire to complete at the elite level, some sort of fade or cut shot is a important tool. Especially into greens. Being able to land the ball soft is a great advantage. 

I like a lot of the other things you've said like playing with better players, and playing forward every so often. Whether they're aware of it or not, better players usually have habits higher handicaps can learn from if they look.

I think that the difference between a scratch player and a 5 handicap isnt as narrow you find, though. I think the band expands the lower you go. The total game is usually much better. The gap in skill between a scratch player and a 5 handicap is probably similar of the gap between you and a ten handicap, IMO.  Scratch players can shoot under par in any given round. The chances of a 5 handi doing that are far less likely. But working on the things you outlined is how you get there. 

2 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I read that you like the draw and plenty of players shoot incredible scores with it, but if you aspire to complete at the elite level, some sort of fade or cut shot is a important tool. Especially into greens. Being able to land the ball soft is a great advantage. 

I like a lot of the other things you've said like playing with better players, and playing forward every so often. Whether they're aware of it or not, better players usually have habits higher handicaps can learn from if they look.

I  that the difference between a scratch player and a 5 handicap isnt as narrow you find, though. I think the band expands the lower you go. The total game is usually much better. The gap in skill between a scratch player and a 5 handicap is probably similar of the gap between you and a ten handicap, IMO.  Scratch players can shoot under par in any given round. The chances of a 5 handi doing that are far less likely. But working on the things you outlined is how you get there. 

Yeah, I agree.  I think the difference between 5 and scratch is bigger than 15 to 5....

Those 5 strokes are huge.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

(edited)

Nice read. I have started down that road myself with a specific plan. I'm sitting right at 10.0 as of the last revision

Edited by TN94z

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

18 hours ago, David in FL said:

Yeah, I agree.  I think the difference between 5 and scratch is bigger than 15 to 5....

Those 5 strokes are huge.

I guess what I meant was it doesn't feel that different in my experience. I still feel like I have the same "good" shots, but the misses are more predictable and less penal. Also, mentally being ok with being under par for long stretches, as weird as it sounds. As a five, being under par was uncomfortable to me, but now it seems like just another good day.

21 hours ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I think that the difference between a scratch player and a 5 handicap isnt as narrow you find, though. I think the band expands the lower you go. The total game is usually much better. The gap in skill between a scratch player and a 5 handicap is probably similar of the gap between you and a ten handicap, IMO.  Scratch players can shoot under par in any given round. The chances of a 5 handi doing that are far less likely. But working on the things you outlined is how you get there. 

I don't really have the time or resources to really compete at an elite level. Just local and club tournaments are fine for me.

Titleist 913 D3 project x 7c3
Trident Golf 3w, 5w Apollo stepless steel stiff+
Mizuno MP-60 (4-6) Mizuno MP-32 (7-9) S300
Titleist SM 5 46/50/54/58
SeeMore FGP Original SuperStroke fatso 5.0
Pro V1

11 minutes ago, anker0071 said:

I guess what I meant was it doesn't feel that different in my experience. I still feel like I have the same "good" shots, but the misses are more predictable and less penal. Also, mentally being ok with being under par for long stretches, as weird as it sounds. As a five, being under par was uncomfortable to me, but now it seems like just another good day.

I don't really have the time or resources to really compete at an elite level. Just local and club tournaments are fine for me.

Thats cool. Dont forget about taking gas money from the suckas! 

Note: This thread is 2505 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!