IGNORED

Epic Driver - Success? Speed Step Material?

Note: This thread is 2521 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am brand new to The Sand Trap so veterans bear with me. I recently Demoed The Callaway Epic Driver and hit it better than I expected ( a good 15 to 20 yards past my Taylormade Aeroburner). I have read all the reviews by club pros but for my money the proof comes on the golf course from guys that can tell me if they found any distance over their regular gamer. I know my experience was only one round and I wanted some input before I spend the $$. On a second note: For the past several years I have had my Driver painted (I just couldn't go with all that white on the Taylormade) and would think about doing the same if I purchase the Epic to match my 3Wood and Hybrids. I have read that the "Speed Step" on the top of the Epic is a 3 D decal and not a part of the actual structure of the head. If that is the case I am afraid sanding might remove it. Just wondered if anyone knows more about the "Speed Step"? Thanks.

• iacas changed the title to Epic Driver - Success? Speed Step Material?

On the Epic - I've demo'd it (just a simple demo day) and like it a ton.  mostly because the laterial disty was tighter and the shot shape more repeatable.  It's my new favorite driver of all time as the difference between that club and my current club and the M2 (which I also like) was dramatic. - but I'm not spending that much - I can wait for it to go on clearance in a year or two.  BUT, I also wrote down the shaft it had as this might also play even more into those results - I just don't know.  I could shape it a little and it didn't overcook - distance was fine, and my stock swing resulted in a baby draw on multple consecutive swings.  More than I usually get on the range.  Maybe I was having a good day - maybe the club fits me well - I just don't know without more time and good fitter....

2 friends got fittings recently:

Friend 1 - 2-3 handicap - very formal and high quality fitting session - He got 10-15 yards with the Epic over all the other options, including his current driver.  He's long - and this was even longer.  I really hate him a lot now...  ; )      And even with the extra length, his shot disty was blatantly tighter than the others.  they fit tons of shafts and heads in the fitting and the Trackman plots are dramatic.  He also fit the 3w and the 3h.  He's liking it a lot.

Friend 2 - scratch golfer, very particular and knowledgable guy.  He did a more extensive fitting and really liked it.  HOWEVER, once they also put a newly fit shaft on his current driver, his best results were to keep his driver (I think it's an older M1 model or something...?) and only replace the shaft.  He doesn't skimp on fittings - said he was there a couple hours or more....

Short answer - a good fitting is worth it if you are spending that type of cash.  A crappy fitting is just a sales job.  AND, the right shaft fitting might be worth more to your game than the head....

Painting the driver?  I don't know what to say - I just don't get that.  But you gotta be comfy your way.  I don't know the rules on modifying clubs like that (if you compete) - but someone will pipe up here.  good luck

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2521 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!