IGNORED

Stats tracking

Note: This thread is 2489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi all,

Just wondering how people go about tracking the stats from golf rounds and practice sessions. 

I count how many shots over par I am on each hole, and then make a note of the main reason why I went over par, ie bad drive, bad short putt, bad mid iron.

When I get home I put it all on a spreadsheet and which ever category cost me the most shots is what I work on until my next games. 

Does anyone else a system they like to work with ?

I use this:

Just keen in mind that shots can cost fractions of shots, and you can make up shots (ie hit a long approach on the green) so it is not as 'zero sum' as you might think.

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use a spreadsheet too. Since I'm relearning the game and mostly playing one course, stats are useful to guide me. I track score, putts, % fairways (Y, L or R), % GIR, % sand, % penalties and calculate handicap for each round and accumulative. I also note % eagles, birdies, par, bogey, double bogeys, number of 3 putts and weather conditions. If I ever reach a new plateau, I probably won't keep stats so diligently.

I also have a Garmin Approach G10 golf GPS which does a surprisingly good job of keeping stats during a round. I then download the data to Garmin Connect after each round, it shows each scorecard and summary stats. It's nice!

Edited by Midpack

1 hour ago, alleztom said:

I use this:

Just keen in mind that shots can cost fractions of shots, and you can make up shots (ie hit a long approach on the green) so it is not as 'zero sum' as you might think.

Just read through you post and it looks really great ! More comprehensive than my system. Do you have a spread sheet where you type in the details you made during the round and it calculates the stats for you? I imagine it takes quite some time to do it manually each time 

3 hours ago, Ned_the_tortoise said:

Just read through you post and it looks really great ! More comprehensive than my system. Do you have a spread sheet where you type in the details you made during the round and it calculates the stats for you? I imagine it takes quite some time to do it manually each time 

Yeah, most of it basically worked out across a spreadsheet, simple formulas, no macros etc. Would take less than 5 minutes to work out a round

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

22 minutes ago, alleztom said:

Yeah, most of it basically worked out across a spreadsheet, simple formulas, no macros etc. Would take less than 5 minutes to work out a round

That's cool, would it be possible to upload a copy of the blank spreadsheet with formulas , would be really helpful to share :)

You guys should look at Game Golf and Arccos.  It does what you are doing on steroids.  Very Cool.

1 minute ago, inthecup said:

You guys should look at Game Golf and Arccos.  It does what you are doing on steroids.  Very Cool.

Those do look great, but I can do easily do everything I want using Excel - for free. Golf stats are very simple math.

1 minute ago, inthecup said:

I am aware of these but you have to pay for them and I dont see the point when you can do it yourself. I know there is a free version of game golf but as far as I am aware you cannot save your rounds unless you pay for it

You can do some of it for free but doing it all would be a bit much.  I used to keep stats on a Garmin, it was nice.

I just went to the Arccos site (which I have) and the Demo screens do not show all the functionality of the stats?  Poor marketing.

If you are happy with Excel, enjoy!

Note: This thread is 2489 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!