IGNORED

Recommend me a 205+ club

Note: This thread is 2515 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Obviously this is all going to come down to a fitting, but I just wanted to go in with a few thoughts and suggestions.  

So stats here are I am a fairly long hitter, 265-280 carry with driver.  The long end of my bag is kind of an experiment but I'm glad I did it!  Now I just need to perfect it.  So I am working with a wood, driving iron, and hybrid.  4 wood is 240+ club, 3 UDI 20* is 225 club (really anything 220 to 260; becoming my workhorse club as I become better with it), and a 4 hybrid at 22*.  I wanted the driving iron to be a stronger loft than the hybrid as a better alternative for off the tee, more accurate, more roll, and the hybrid a higher launching, easier to hit club to hold greens at over 200.  

So I've become fairly proficient with the 3i, recently reaching and holding greens on par 5's in 2 lately.  Now my hybrid, is currently the weakest club in my bag and struggle to reach for it.  Not that I am a good hybrid hitter, its just a bad fit for me and knew this day was coming.  Its an old TM original rescue #4 22* with only a 65 gram S shaft that I believe is too whippy for me.  Finding my control is awful with it and can't hit a consistent shape shot.  The only reason I struggle letting it go is that its older and therefore doesn't have the 'hot' faces of today's hybrids.  I need this thing to go 205 to 215.  Better yet would be near polar opposite of my driving iron.  I want this thing launching high with a good amount of spin to hold greens. 

I was thinking another hybrid, but there are many options now to fill the role.  Its hard to turn down an F6 baffler.  In fact a 4w, driving iron, 6-7 wood wouldn't be a bad combo.  It just has to hit the distance and be fairly accurate.  Now that's the trouble with a wood is a longer shaft (making a 4i loft more 220 range), but I heard the F6 baffler also has a shorter shaft.  This should make it more controllable and shorter.  So what do you all think?  Please recommend me something that hits that 205 mark and is fairly accurate and controllable.  Thanks everyone. 
P.S.  I keep the Ping Eye 2 4i, 25* loft, in the bag as well for 200 yd into the wind shots.  All with 14 clubs in the bag.  As you can see I'm loving the long end of the bag!

What ever you feel most comfortable hitting. Its great to have good hybrid or fairway wood that you feel comfortable hitting. 

Its a general answer, but any club that is fitted for you that you like. Its hard to recommend a club because of personal preference and different swing types. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Looks like part of my original post was accidentally deleted.  Oops :hmm:

Well since I have become comfortable with my 3i, trying something the polar opposite of it maybe be beneficial.  A nice high hitting club that lands at 205-210 with some spin would fit perfectly.  Thats why I brought up a wood, since they are known to launch higher.  But I want a shaft that is controllable. 

Thinking I will go in and try several hybrids out and a couple woods as well and whatever I do best with on the simulator I'll give a go. 

1 hour ago, saevel25 said:

Its a general answer, but any club that is fitted for you that you like. Its hard to recommend a club because of personal preference and different swing types. 

I used 4W + 7W for several years. Extra loft really helped reliability. Now I have 3W + 5W with a head weight assembly that really enhances launch.

By chance, I came across a What's In the Bag for the Memorial Tournament this past weekend. The winner Jason Dufner and one-time leader Daniel Summerfield both carry a 3W + 7W as bridge clubs; neither carries a hybrid nor a driving iron.

As @saevel25 notes, personal preference is critical.

Since your sig line contains no info on your current bag mix, we're left grasping at straws to help you.

Also, beware of trying to cover all possible options with just 14 clubs. In determining club mix, there's trade-offs. One thing you might try to do is to grip a versatile longer (bridge) with a Golf Pride CP2 grip, which has reduced taper. With reduced taper, you would be less likely to "roll to draw" if you chikec down on the club to shave off some yardage.

At a 16 HDCP, I would suggest that lack of a 205-215 yard club is a minor worry for your game.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

2 minutes ago, WUTiger said:

With reduced taper, you would be less likely to "roll to draw" if you chikec down on the club to shave off some yardage.

I highly doubt the taper of a golf grip will have a tendency to cause club head to close down more. You are talking fractions of an inch at best. That type of thing sounds like an old golf myth go me. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

15 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I highly doubt the taper of a golf grip will have a tendency to cause club head to close down more. You are talking fractions of an inch at best. That type of thing sounds like an old golf myth go me. 

Point taken. But, it's something a lot of golfers worry about when gripping down.

And many golfers - including me - put an extra 2-3 wraps of tape under the low-hand portion of our wedge grips.

Maybe Mythbusters could do a TV episode on this?

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Just now, WUTiger said:

Point taken. But, it's something a lot of golfers worry about when gripping down.

And many golfers - including me - put an extra 2-3 wraps of tape under the low-hand portion of our wedge grips.

I don't think many golfers do so. 

First, most golfers do not even get their clubs re-gripped frequent enough. Second, they probably just have the guy at golfsmith or golf galaxy do it with no special instructions.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

• Administrator
1 hour ago, WUTiger said:

Myth busted. There, I saved you the trouble.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I'm thinking I'll go for a new hybrid to get a fairer examination of the 3 head types and which I like best.  It'll all come to the fitting.  And trust me @WUTiger the 205 club is a big worry for me.  All the strokes for me come around the greens.  Really gonna switch up my practice to short game the rest of the season.  I'm hitting the longer clubs great, plus I love the feeling of landing a green from far.  

I'm really like this set up of all 3 headtypes for my longer clubs.  I know many players now like to change out their clubs for course conditions, but I don't have the skill or extra cash for that now.   Like many other players have said before, if its a windy day, you should have as many holes down wind as into the wind.  Liking a low launching club and a high launching club option in the bag concurrently.  

Note: This thread is 2515 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!