IGNORED

Time to upgrade irons

Note: This thread is 2437 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have the taylormade rocketballz (RBZ) irons. I have had them for almost 5 years and I'm ready to upgrade so I need some advice. I'm around 12 handicap. Short game is what kills me. My ball striking isn't the best and by this I mean I don't think I'm ready for blades. I'm also not wanting to drop a fortune on a brand new set. So I need some advice for a new set. I don't want anything to bulky. I like the look of a thin iron.

Some that I have been eyeing:

rsi1

ap1

jpx850

any others to consider please let me know!

thanks 

Ping's G400s are neat.  I'm ordering them as soon as my club scrip comes in the mail :-)  

Here's a hard question though:  are you sure your short game is killing you or is this recency bias?  I hope that doesn't sound too confrontational.  I believed for the longest time that my short game + putting were my strength and driving and approach were weaknesses.  Turns out, thanks to my Game Golf, I've found out it was the opposite.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

No apology needed. I hit a lot of greens and most fairways. Played yesterday... chipped/pitched 2x on 3-4 holes... 3 putted a couple more.. lol I shot 12 over... last week... didn't have to chip as much but as much but was much worse shot 14 over... the only thing that thing ever pushed me away from ping was their bulky-ness... I played ping eye 2s for a long time when I was young... so I will definitely look into the g400 thanks for the reply

Yeah, I don't like the bulky look of most game-improvement irons.  I do like the look of the G400s.

From your description, yeah, it sounds like you actually have short game woes.   In addition to the advice (I'm sure others will reply with) about clubs, consider checking out the instructional content.  Plenty of instruction and drills related to the short game that could help you too:

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

7 hours ago, SMORROW531 said:

Mp53 or jpx825 pro. Narrowed it down but which one?

any thoughts?

I would say their are very similar clubs. JPX825 pro are in the JPX line which is tailored more towards mid to high handicap golfers. Though single digit golfers will find their clubs appealing.

The offsets are nearly identical. I would bet that JPX 825 pro are slightly larger club heads. They probably have a slightly lower CG and slightly more MOI. Mostly because their lofts are slightly stronger to account for the higher ball flight.

I would say the JPS 825 Pro would give you slightly more forgiveness on off center hits. If you think both of them look good, then maybe you go with the one that might help you out on some mishits.

Another thing to consider is how the clubs fit your swing. The stock JPX-825 Pro golf shaft is the Dynamic Gold Dynalite. Which would be a golf shaft that is much lighter than the stock shaft in the MP-53. I believe Mizuno MP line comes with the standard Dynamic Gold, not the dynalite.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 2437 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!