IGNORED

Tee box etiquette

JRobber
Note: This thread is 1988 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 11/10/2018 at 5:37 AM, Carl3 said:

Here is a new experience: on vacation here in Florida and playing a new course for the 3rd time this week. Decent semi private, well maintained course. Decide to move up from the gold tees (6600 yds) to silver (5700) partly because I am playing with my father in-law and partly because I had my arse handed to me on my previous round. I bought the yardage book so I know the sand trap to the left is 237 yards out standing on the tee box of hole number 1.

The foursome ahead of us just got off the tee and is probably working on their third shots into this par 4 green. All 4 carts are situated near this bunker. I am debating whether to hit my driver (240 avg) or my 3h (200 avg). Hole is playing 335 yards. 

Well I decide to go with driver and am waiting to tee off and the starter steps up and tells me to go ahead and hit. I hesitate and decide to wait. The foursome behind us is emboldened to chime in and one of them tells me to hit. Then they go on to suggest that I am waiting for them to get on the green or something. So I throw my driver to the ground and stomp on over to the cart to get my 3h and proceed to pound it down the fairway 210 yard based on my gps watch. 

What would you have done? I hate having others dictate my game, but... I also felt like it affected how I played the par 5s the rest of the day. Laying up a time or two when I may have gone for it. Did not want to upset the animals behind starter referred to them as the Gator Group. Probably University of Florida alum.

The best way I’ve found to deal with impatiant groups, is to ask them if they want to play through. If they see you’re keeping right up with the group in front, they’ll typically say no. They won’t want the pressure of you now being behind them watching and judging. Basically turn the tables on them.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 9/11/2017 at 1:50 PM, Lihu said:

If it bothers you,  just let them know and ask them to move in front

If I read 'in front' in the alternate way, this becomes a funny statement

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

1 hour ago, rehmwa said:

If I read 'in front' in the alternate way, this becomes a funny statement

You didn’t read it wrong 😂

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 11/11/2018 at 11:10 AM, JRobber said:

The best way I’ve found to deal with impatiant groups, is to ask them if they want to play through. If they see you’re keeping right up with the group in front, they’ll typically say no. They won’t want the pressure of you now being behind them watching and judging. Basically turn the tables on them.

It's your tee time don't let someone play through on the first hole.  Perhaps it's the fact I am not afraid of confrontation, but I would have waited and hit whatever club I wanted. You don't even have to be rude about it, just tell those guys to can it, you don't want to hit into the group in front of you. I mean it's common courtesy, and teeing off 30 seconds later for the sake of safety isn't going to matter, you'll just be waiting longer on your second shot.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

33 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

It's your tee time don't let someone play through on the first hole.  Perhaps it's the fact I am not afraid of confrontation, but I would have waited and hit whatever club I wanted. You don't even have to be rude about it, just tell those guys to can it, you don't want to hit into the group in front of you. I mean it's common courtesy, and teeing off 30 seconds later for the sake of safety isn't going to matter, you'll just be waiting longer on your second shot.

Exactly this. It's absurd for people to get pissed at you for not teeing off when the group in front is still hitting their approach shots.

One course I play pretty often starts on a Par 5, and I usually end up waiting a little longer there on my tee shot and my approach because it's an easily reachable 5 where a lot of people play a lay up shot to where I intend to hit my tee shot (if they miss the fairway with their first shot, that is). Then I end up waiting on people to clear the green before hitting. 

I've had starters tell me the fairway is clear, and I've had other people I'm playing with ask if I'm going to hit. I just tell them that my landing area isn't clear and I'll wait until it's safe to hit. Usually that's all it takes (even if it gets you some eye rolls), but if they're really persistent just ask them if they want to pay for any potential damages (to clubs/carts) and injuries and that you'll tee off right then if they agree to be held responsible for it. Haven't had someone press it beyond that.

Note: This thread is 1988 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!