IGNORED

Who has to tried to swing really slow and does it even on the court?

yanni
Note: This thread is 2401 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I tried this last night and saw results that mirrored my practices. The main difference is that when hitting shot after shot with the same club, you can make adjustments and tighten up the dispersion. On the course that's a bit harder to do.

While I wasn't able to keep the swing quite as low as 30%, it was significantly slower. Still, it was an effort to keep the ball in play with the driver. I used the driver on 6 of the 9 holes and while there were no penalties, I was in the woods 4 times.

Jon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 10/2/2017 at 9:05 AM, dennyjones said:

There are times at the range when I swing my driver with my feet together.   This forces me to slow everything down and focus on rotation and path.   If I overswing, I have come out of my stance.    

Yes, try this. Plus try it in flip-flops or sandals.

On 10/2/2017 at 2:48 AM, yanni said:

I think the main difference is that I don't to try hit at the ball this way.

Yes! For me, hitting "at" the ball leads to the over the top flip. A slow swing will (for me) help me feel and extend the club head through and up. It has to happen pretty naturally though; even with a slow swing as opposed to a slow motion swing the whole process takes only seconds. Good luck with this to all, -Marv

Edited by MarvChamp

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

On 10/4/2017 at 2:26 AM, yanni said:

This makes perfectly sense. As a piano player for example you never would practise a tune at  full speed. If you would do this you never would learn to play it. You would focus on a certain aspect (just right hand first)) and practise this at 30% speed until 100% perfect. Then you would practise the other hand. Than both hands together. If this works out 100% you would add a little speed and play it at 40%.

I was doing this totally wrong in golf. What I did I do? I hit 100 balls the same way with full power and was hoping this would change something. Somehow I thought the more balls I hit the better I would get. And of course I thought I have to swing at full power so my distance would increase. And its totally correct. What you cannot do at slow speed you cannot do at full speed at all. Actually my pro even told me to practise slowley. But I somehow did not really get it. Actually he told me from the first lesson on "don't swing to hard!". But I did not believe him.

I did somehow improve but actually it was wasted time and energy now that I think about it. Focussing on certain issues and practising slowley gave me a very big boost. Of course you can and should add "power" drills and hit at full speed. But not 100% of the time. Most people I see on the range do just that. Hit some balls at the same speed and swing as hard as possible. No drills, no tempo changes nothing.

Look at the big guys like Woods when they are doing warm ups at the range. They swing extremly slow and seem to focus on something.

Interesting point about music. Music involves tempo! There's an acoustic guitar player I like, Leo Kottke, who released a live album many years ago that was very popular. These days he criticizes it saying it "rushes" too much. And, it does! He says that it proves you can have far too good a time performing for an audience!

There's a proper speed, and tempo, for the golf swing. And it's different for every golfer out there. That's what makes it so hard to find!

Note: This thread is 2401 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!