IGNORED

Matching woods for wilson staff irons from 1959

GST1974
Note: This thread is 2338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi.  I bought a 2 through PW set of Wilson staff irons from 1959, all original set in fairly good condition at a reasonable price last year.  I think it was $90.  Leather grips although hardened a bit, shafts in good condition with no signs of rust, club heads minor scratches, etc.  I would like to find a matching set of woods like 1, 3, 5 or 1, 3, 4 or 1,2,3.  What are they called?  I guess they don't have to be from the same year, but it would be preferable.  I also bought a sand iron replica a few days ago from the 90s in good condition for $20, when an original in excellent condition went for $275.

Anyone with experience in Wilson staff from the 50s and 60s?

I have a set of Wilson Staff irons, 2-PW and the Tour Block woods (1,3,4) from 1965 - my first full set of clubs, all with leather wrap grips, in their original boxes. I also have a W/S iron set, 2-PW from around 1955 that were my uncle's, also with leather grips that have a flattened section on the butt-end of the handle. (Aided in hand alignment..illegal now, maybe in 1955 too.) They're all in perfect condition. From my experience, there is no better feeling that you can have with your clothes on than the one you get from a perfectly struck W/S forged 2-iron!

Now having said all that, I don't know why I'm even telling your this because they're not for sale! (And if they were, it wouldn't be for only $90.) So, I apologize, I guess I'm just bragging.

I had intended to create a wall display in my "library" along with a number of hickory shafted clubs from the 1920's I picked up here and there, but never did. Maybe someday. (But then again, I don't have a library either...just a man-cave.)

Driver, 3W & 4 Hybrid: 2023 :titleist: TSR3 
Irons: 2020 :titleist: T300
Wedges: 2012 :callaway: XTour 56o & 2021 Jaws 60o

Putter: :odyssey: Marxman (Mallet) / :tmade: Juno (Blade) plus 7 or 8 others in a barrel in my basement

ebay, Craigslist, Goodwill

search Wilson Staff persimmon-you will find something acceptable. Be careful. If you are willing to accept something similar but a lot newer, you can save a lot of money. Persimmon clubs and repros from the late 70's early to mid 80's are plentiful and cheap. I have about 20-30 pieces acquired at $4-$10 each, the most I paid was maybe $25 with a new grip installed. You do have to scrounge a bit; most of mine came from Goodwill.

Some really old ones are actually worth a little bit, I am not experienced enough to know which. The thing on ebay is that some sellers think they are worth more than they are, and some are just trying to make a profit. The only ones that are worth real money are a few select rare ones, some really old ones (hickory era certain makes), or clubs that have a documented connection to a famous player. So caveat emptor.

It is more difficult to find a specific club, than to just get something similar.

Louisville Golf still produces classic persimmon drivers and fairways, I think about $210 per club.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

I had some Wilson Staff driver and woods during high school and early college. These were made about 1960, and I got them used from a fellow caddie about eight years later.

Wilson Tour Block driver and woods are available on eBay, along with other Wilson products. Many Wilson wood sets from circa 1960 had 1- 2- 3- 4, or 1- 2- 3. By late 1960s, the 2-wood / Brassie had been dropped from sets.

There's a Wilson Turfrider set 1- 2- 3- 4 that's available eBay for $75... it looks pre-1960 so I would check to make sure it's not too far before 1959 if you want an era match.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2338 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!