IGNORED

My Swing (Cormier10)

Cormier10
Note: This thread is 2303 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hey All,

First post on TST, however, I've been reading several threads for years.  I figured I'd start a My Swing post as I'm planning this year to do some work on my swing indoors in the cold Wisconsin winter.  Look forward to everyone's thoughts and feedback.  Feel free to fire away with any questions.

In the video below I'm swinging an 8 iron, which I usually hit about 150 yds.  In the past I've struggled with falling forward, as you can see from the DTL video, however it hasn't affected much of my ball flight nor distance.

Cheers.

I've been Playing Golf for: 6 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 10.1
My typical ball flight is: Straight or slight cut
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: working on gaining greater ball elevation with woods off the fairway

Videos: 

Welcome to TST, @Cormier10 ! Glad to have you and good luck on the swing thread. Here are some good tips here:

I'm not an instructor, so you'll want to wait until someone more expert chimes in but here are my thoughts for you to take with a grain of salt:

• I don't see very much hip rotation
  • I see you upper body moving toward the target, perhaps factoring into more forward shaft lean and why you're getting pretty good distance with your irons and/or you aren't getting as much elevation as you'd like with your fairway woods

For a possible solution, I'd look here for the threads/videos on keeping a steady head (not "still," but relatively steady) and/or centered hip turn in this topic below (TONS of good links from this main page- you may have seen before if you've been lurking):

Anyway, welcome! And I could be mis-diagnosing your "priority" piece but that's just what I see jump out at me right off the bat.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

@RandallT is right about your head…

01.jpg02.jpg

I'd work on your posture, too. No need to have your chin up that much, or to keep your trail knee flexed, or to have that much flex to begin with, really.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks for the input.  I'm an old hockey player; which brings some of these old habits that differ significantly from a golf swing.

Ive taken a handful of lessons, but definitely what you guys mentioned is similar to what my golf coach identified, so that's what I'll be working on in the short term.

@RandallT to your point, probably my shift forward with shaft lean is most likely de-lofting my fairway wood?  Hence the lower ball trajectory?  Makes sense.

4 hours ago, Cormier10 said:

@RandallT to your point, probably my shift forward with shaft lean is most likely de-lofting my fairway wood?  Hence the lower ball trajectory?  Makes sense.

That was what I had guessed based on what you had written. Your swing looked athletic and with decent clubhead speed, so I just thought maybe you were delofting the club by getting too far ahead of it. Maybe that's a hockey move for a proper technique for a slapshot? I know nothing about hockey!  Being from snow-blanketed Erie, PA, I'm sure @iacas gets a fair number of hockey players coming through as new students and maybe has seen if that is common or not.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

A couple more videos from today, with some minor adjustments (feet flared / minor front hip "bump").

I'm currently in hockey season with my last round the first week of December.   Hockey has very different techniques for a slap shot opposed to a golf swing / hence making the adjustments!  I could explain over some cold beers ?  Yes, I'm originally from the east coast of Canada, been on skates since I was 3 years old.

I noticed something in my videos today that I'm VERY curious on feedback; yes my head moves forward in my entire swing, but note, my head "sets" at the top of my backswing and doesn't move very much in the down swing if at all.  Is this an issue?  Or maybe just my swing?  Are there any negative effects if it maintains in this position as seen on videos below? @iacas @RandallT

Edited by Cormier10

• Administrator

You're not going to do much working at full speed.

Your weight is in your heels. Your posture is too stiff. You hit the ball low because you have very little axis tilt because of how far forward your head tends to go.

The camera positioning could use some work too, and I'm sure your phone does high-speed video, oui?

• Like 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Head movement was my first piece as well and I cannot emphasise enough what Erik's posted about going slow and record every single swing and review after each single swing. You will feel like you're not moving your head, go to the camera and realise you did exactly the same thing. I had to spend about a month doing 50%-75% swings at most feeling like I was growing 2 feet in the downswing in order to get past this piece - I'm still not happy with it and wouldn't be surprised to see my instructor get me to go back to it.

Trust me when I say that you'll find this a lot harder than you think. BUT, the good news is that it'll make the world of difference to your contact, particularly with longer clubs. I've also found a huge tie in with launch angle, so this should definitely help.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Note: This thread is 2303 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!