IGNORED

My Swing (rick_plum)

rick_plum
Note: This thread is 2172 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 2 years
My current handicap index or average score is: 17
My typical ball flight is: Irons are generally straight but woods are often slicing. 
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: My wedges and irons are quite consistent, with the odd skinny shot (I think I often look up and lose my angles from address before I’ve hit the ball) but I’m struggling for consistency with the driver. Any good drills or recommendations would be greatly appreciated  

Videos: 

• Administrator

They embedded properly, but there's no face-on video and they're in shadow. Tough to see a lot.

You stand up in an attempt to get the club to shallow out behind you, which is also why you hit a good number of thin shots.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 3 weeks later...

Great Athletic Swing!

It is hard to give you some good drills without a face on view of your swing. Here is a good explanation of what causes the slice. 

Improving one shot at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Rick_Plum,

I just have to say the course you are playing at looks awesome! Here is something that you can work on. Take a look at pic 1 (Impact). The club has fully released before it has even made contact with the ball. Meaning your club has bottomed out before it has reached the ball.

Impact.thumb.png.258b065d4db3c8df136f138702b3386c.png

You know you have descended into the ball correctly on your iron shots if your divot apears after the ball. Here is a good drill to help you start delivering your irons into the ball at the right angle.

Ball position does play a factor so be sure to check your ball position. Hope this gives you something to work on.

On 2/28/2018 at 10:40 PM, iacas said:

You stand up in an attempt to get the club to shallow out behind you, which is also why you hit a good number of thin shots.

Hi @rick_plum. Not a rule, but as a general guide, I'd listen and work on anything Erik (post above) says - he's a very good instructor! I'd say @OGLP is touching on something as well with the fact that you're flipping, although this is a product of the quote above. 

To make life easier for those of us helping, can you check how and where to set up your camera? The Down the Line view needs to be looking down the line of your feet, not the ball's path, and your friend should keep the camera on you, not the ball :-). Understandable that you want to see where the ball goes, but your shots that go right, left, high, topped, fats etc are all products of the exact same swing, so that's where we need to focus, more than the ball flight. See below:

https://thesandtrap.com/b/playing_tips/filming_your_swing

Good luck and keep posting and grinding!

Edited by b101

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Thanks for the advice - is there a likely reason why I am bottoming out the club prior to impacting the ball? Is it to do with releasing the wrist angles created at the top of the swing? Just trying to find a good drill to ensure that I am bottoming out after I hit the ball as the drill above with my current swing isn't really working...

• Administrator

Get some good face-on and down-the-line video in slow motion.

I can't give great advice with bad videos.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys, sorry for the late response. Haven’t had a chance to take any better videos until now. Hopefully these videos allow you a better chance to give some more detailed feedback. I think my backswing looks ok it’s just my downswing and follow through I clearly need to sort out. 

Please help. Starting to get frustrated with the inconsistency :( 

Video 1:

With the video that is face on I would not have as much shaft lean at address. It can cause the club to start back on the inside of the swing.

Video 2:

I would check you alignment. It is hard to see with video but it looks like your alignment might be off with your shoulders and hips. I know you are using a driver and it is often promote to use a closed stance when using the a longer club, but you want to make sure your club face, shoulders, and hips are square to your target.

• 3 weeks later...
Note: This thread is 2172 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!