IGNORED

Busting Out of the Barrel - Why Turning in a Barrel is Wrong in 4,014 words

iacas
Note: This thread is 1896 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 hours ago, iacas said:

That's fine for the backswing, but for the downswing, as illustrated, there's "kind of" a sway (the head doesn't go, but the hips definitely do).

A mini-tour player told me he thinks of his head being in a box during the swing.  

On 11/24/2018 at 8:47 PM, Vinsk said:

I don’t believe @iacas posted those pics to show the left hip going beyond the left foot. That’s not the point. The point is the lead hip moves forward from where it began due to a slide and not just a rotation. You can find pics of players who’s hips are past their lead foot. But that’s not the point here.

I don't know how anyone could argue that the left hip doesn't move left, then rotate left and up.  

• Administrator
28 minutes ago, Puttin4Dough said:

A mini-tour player told me he thinks of his head being in a box during the swing.

Okay, but that's got nothing to do with this topic.

28 minutes ago, Puttin4Dough said:

I don't know how anyone could argue that the left hip doesn't move left, then rotate left and up.  

And yet, people have said "swing in a barrel."

And a lot of amateur players that I see don't "go forward" much at all.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

Okay, but that's got nothing to do with this topic.

And yet, people have said "swing in a barrel."

And a lot of amateur players that I see don't "go forward" much at all.

You posted earlier about the head not moving left.  How is that off topic?  

• Administrator
29 minutes ago, Puttin4Dough said:

You posted earlier about the head not moving left.  How is that off topic?  

The topic is about sliding the hips forward as they turn, busting out of the barrel.

Also, I haven't typed the word "head" in this topic (except just there).

The topic is meant to discourage the notion of "turning in a barrel" particularly on the downswing (as each of the pictures in the OP shows the downswing). This is something a number of amateurs struggle to do properly, and many think the downswing should just be "turning."

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 months later...
On ‎4‎/‎29‎/‎2018 at 3:08 PM, HJJ003 said:

For what it’s worth (which may not be much), the thread shared in the original post above is why I decided to join this site. As just a forum snooper at the time it was one of the best things I had read to date. 

As a college athlete (non golf) I hit the ball far for my size, but when I left college and started to focus more on golf my distance declined, I started reading and hearing about turning in a barrel and of course tried to adopt it in my swing. I lost a lot of distance (like a lot!) and even started to develop some back pain because I was trying so hard to stay in that barrel. Reading that thread got me on my track back to something that resembled golf, and dropped my HC from around 30 to the lower 20s in a year. It’s the reason why at 5’7 130 it’s not unusual for me to hit my 3 wood 240+ yards. None of that happened when I “turned in the barrel”. Just food for thought for anyone doubting the importance of sliding the hips or looking to see if this site has any instructional value. 

Wow, 240 with a 3W, nice. I max out about 210, (with the role), but then again I'm 67 years old and have had three back surgeries.

2 hours ago, cooke119 said:

Wow, 240 with a 3W, nice. I max out about 210, (with the role), but then again I'm 67 years old and have had three back surgeries.

Nothing wrong with your distance. 240+ isn’t unusual but is still above my average. 

Note: This thread is 1896 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!