IGNORED

Breaking Driver Shaft at Hosel (3 in 1 Week)

Harold-P
Note: This thread is 2001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm afraid I'm going through the same "swing funk" because I broke the three driver shaft just this week !!! 

My driver is (was) the Callaway Epic, 9 degree with Project X stiff shaft and for the past year it has been the best driver I've ever had, until last Monday that is. :( 

This is what happened: 5 days ago I was playing my regular game (70% accurate drives of the tee) and as we were approaching 17th tee my bag fell of the cart and it hit the cart path, I looked at the clubs and nothing appeared to be damaged so we went on to the teen. The next two drives felt different, some unusual vibration and horrible drives but I figured I was just tired, however on Monday I decided to go to the range and see if I felt the same as the the day before. I probably took 8 swings and missed the ball completely. I stopped, rested and tried to refocus, hit a ball way to the left and very low, net hit went rolling to the extreme right and with the next swing the shaft snapped right at the hostel and went flying about 75 yards into the range. At that moment I figured that that was the problem all along, "the shaft fractured with the fall" so I took the driver to my golf shop and without even asking a single question, they proceeded to change the broken shaft for one of their own stock, I took it immediately to the range to reinforce my theory... first swing went way left, second swing rolled way left again and on the third swing THE HEAD OF THE DRIVER WENT 100 YDS INTO THE RANGE!!!    yes, the shaft broke again in the exact same spot. 

At this point I called Calloway direct and explained to the my situation, not only did they say that they were going to replace my driver, but they are sending me the NEWEST driver, Rogue Jailbreak to compensate for my trouble. They said it would take 3 to 5 days to arrive so I figured it would be good if I stay of the range for these days just in case something in my swing was "out of wack" but today at my luch hr I stopped at our local Edwin Watts store and asked to take a "few swings" with the Calloway Rogue Driver (just to get a feeling of what was coming my way)... Guys, on the 4th swing THE SHAFT SNAPPED AT THE HOSTEL AGAIN and went flying into the net!!! 

At this point I have no doubt that something is tremendously wrong with my swing and needless to say, I don't know what I'm going to do once my new driver arrives... I'm sure it will break too :( 

WHAT DO I DO? :( :( :(

You better stop hitting driver....😀

Seriously, you should video your swing in order for any advice to be given.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to Breaking Driver Shaft at Hosel (3 in 1 Week)
  • Administrator

You're probably hitting the driver very close to the hosel (not hostel) for that to be happening.

Or you're hitting the ground or something else bizarre is going on.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

23 hours ago, Harold-P said:

I'm afraid I'm going through the same "swing funk" because I broke the three driver shaft just this week !!! 

My driver is (was) the Callaway Epic, 9 degree with Project X stiff shaft and for the past year it has been the best driver I've ever had, until last Monday that is. 😞

This is what happened: 5 days ago I was playing my regular game (70% accurate drives of the tee) and as we were approaching 17th tee my bag fell of the cart and it hit the cart path, I looked at the clubs and nothing appeared to be damaged so we went on to the teen. The next two drives felt different, some unusual vibration and horrible drives but I figured I was just tired, however on Monday I decided to go to the range and see if I felt the same as the the day before. I probably took 8 swings and missed the ball completely. I stopped, rested and tried to refocus, hit a ball way to the left and very low, net hit went rolling to the extreme right and with the next swing the shaft snapped right at the hostel and went flying about 75 yards into the range. At that moment I figured that that was the problem all along, "the shaft fractured with the fall" so I took the driver to my golf shop and without even asking a single question, they proceeded to change the broken shaft for one of their own stock, I took it immediately to the range to reinforce my theory... first swing went way left, second swing rolled way left again and on the third swing THE HEAD OF THE DRIVER WENT 100 YDS INTO THE RANGE!!!    yes, the shaft broke again in the exact same spot. 

At this point I called Calloway direct and explained to the my situation, not only did they say that they were going to replace my driver, but they are sending me the NEWEST driver, Rogue Jailbreak to compensate for my trouble. They said it would take 3 to 5 days to arrive so I figured it would be good if I stay of the range for these days just in case something in my swing was "out of wack" but today at my luch hr I stopped at our local Edwin Watts store and asked to take a "few swings" with the Calloway Rogue Driver (just to get a feeling of what was coming my way)... Guys, on the 4th swing THE SHAFT SNAPPED AT THE HOSTEL AGAIN and went flying into the net!!! 

At this point I have no doubt that something is tremendously wrong with my swing and needless to say, I don't know what I'm going to do once my new driver arrives... I'm sure it will break too 😞

WHAT DO I DO? 😞 😞 😞

I had the same problem last year.  My drive was always straight. solid and I take an easy swing to hit 200-220.  Low irons I did well but struggled a bit with high irons.

Then, one day after taking a week off from several 18 holes the previous week, I went over to my local 18 hole at Riverside and on the 1st hole I did what I normally do, nice and easy but this time when I came through my swing (which felt good) I noticed that despite feeling a good "ping", I had the head fly down about 20 yards and ball about 30.  There went my new Callaway Big Bertha.  I thought it was damaged for the same reason so... on to trying another.  So, I grab my semi-new Ping G.  Take another easy swing (at this point, people are watching) and "ping"... broke again, except this time the head was still hanging on by a thread of graphite.  Third attempt (I'm determined to break them all, I guess), I grab my other new Callaway, an XR16, take an easy swing and break that at the hosel as well sending that head 40 years down field and ball 10 yards further.  I took that one.

Now, I'm pissed because I know it's me but don't know "why".  Three drivers, purchased at three different locations.  Next hole, I take my remaining Callway Razr X Black Widow and hit a nice straight ball down the fairway.  But, at this point, I'm spooked.  I can't lose $1-1200 (easily) in drivers because I've become a stubborn bad golfer.

So, for the remainder of the year, I spent the entire time using mostly irons only.  For whatever reason, no matter how much time I spent at the range or on technique I couldn't hit my driver properly and kept sticking it out there hitting the hosel, despite feeling like I was pulling it left.  I just lost my drive.  The good news is I got MUCH better with my low irons and can pop a high back roll up on most greens from 50-100 (putting, a different story).  This year during our first outing I hit all my drivers well and didn't feel any of the issues I had the previous.

My best recommendation, don't over practice.  Don't over hit.  Take a break until you've forgotten about the previous issues with driving and focus on your irons.  It'll come back.  I would recommend the Callaway Razr-X Black Widow though.  It hits nice and straight and it's cheap.  Breaking a $50 driver is SO much easier than one which is $5-900 (or more).  :-)

Best of luck!

23 hours ago, Harold-P said:

My driver is (was) the Callaway Epic, 9 degree with Project X stiff shaft and for the past year it has been the best driver I've ever had, until last Monday that is. 😞

At this point I have no doubt that something is tremendously wrong with my swing and needless to say, I don't know what I'm going to do once my new driver arrives... I'm sure it will break too 😞

WHAT DO I DO? 😞 😞 😞

BTW, you can view all three of my broken heads and shafts in my profile pic.  😐

• 4 months later...

I had the same problem i broke 3 driver shafts and one 3w shaft on brand new ping g30 the good thing i got replacement for all the shafts i broke for free i just send ping a message and send pic of the shafts and they ask for some serial numbers and they told me to take it to any store that sells ping clubs and they send the shafts to ping and ping send some new one i had to go pick it up and it was all for free thats why i love ping and always will use them and they told me the problem was me hitting the ball in the heel or on the tip of the shafts and with time they will brake so they send me shafts with a stronger tip on the shaft  well hope my post help you out 

Anybody else find it odd that this phenomena appears to be happening to people with less than 10 posts on this site?

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

• Administrator
9 hours ago, divot dave said:

Anybody else find it odd that this phenomena appears to be happening to people with less than 10 posts on this site?

Not really. People have different reasons for joining.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2001 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!