IGNORED

KBS Tour Flighted vs Precision Flighted vs. Project X

Note: This thread is 2105 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have an old set of MacGregor 1025m irons that I've about worn out the grooves. They are shafted with the original Precision Rifle (pre-Project X) Flighted in 5.0. These are a muscle blade but very forgiving for that style. Still well thought of. I am a very consistent ball striker but not a power hitter. About 150 carry on a full 7 iron. Driver 215-235. I tend to hit my short irons a little longer compared to my driver. I go at them and my tempo is a little quick. But I still have much trouble elevating the long irons and typically go hybrid below the 6 iron.

I have since replaced the Macs with a Maltby muscle blade (the PTM) shafted with their stock TT Score from their club paks. I like what I'm getting, love the heads, but really miss the ability to flight the scoring irons down. When I go at them in the same way as I do the Macs, they go a mile high. Which is good in some cases I guess, but I almost can't bring them down without letting off the swing, in which case I lose distance.

Recently I purchased a set of brand new Mac 1025 heads from a guy who bought out the old MacGregor stock when they closed. My thoughts were to build out a nice set similar to my original set for special occasions, but maybe with a slightly weaker flex since I'm now 57 and likely won't be getting stronger. I had a few choices and wanted some opinions. I'm thinking of soft-stepping these once (or twice) to bring the flex a little below 5.0 and give more "kick" to my 6 and 7 iron. These heads are .355 tapers. Here are the options:

1) The newer KBS Flighted designed by Kim Braley who also designed the original precision rifle flighted. I've heard these give great distance and more spin (which I need). These may be the best option, but also the most expensive. They'll run about $225 for a 4-pw. Even though I'm only starting with a 6-iron, I'll still need the 4 and 5 for potential soft stepping. Or maybe these wouldn't need soft-stepping since I've heard the KBS launches higher. (?)

2) The  Project X Flighted in a 5.0. I can get these on ebay for about $100 or less. But I've heard the PX feels stiffer than the original rifle with a lower ball flight. I definitely don't want that in the mid irons.

3) Pull the shafts from my old Macs (in this condition they wouldn't sell for much anyway) and re-insert them into the new heads, soft-stepping once or twice. This is obviously the cheapest option and I'll know exactly what I'm getting.

Has anyone hit the KBS Flighted? Are they worth the premium from the PX Flighted? How do they compare in trajectory to that or the original Royal Precision? I read a lot about KBS, but it's always about the Tour or Taper. I haven't found a single thing (other than marketing blogs and an interview with Kim) about the KBS flighted. Which is why I'm starting a new post.

Thanks in advance everyone.

• 2 weeks later...

I still play the original Rifle shafts myself, and I know a little bit about other shafts as well, so I'll throw in my 2 cents for what it's worth...

My first thought is eliminate the Project X as a consideration.  It's drastically different than the old Rifles...a completely different animal.  They are different in both feel and performance.  Because of the way they taper, they feel stiffer, and launch the ball lower with less spin.  Based on the information you provided about your game, I don't think this is the shaft you're looking for.  This shaft chart is from a number of years ago, so it doesn't include the original Rifles or the KBS Flighted, but the Rifles would be somewhere in the middle.  Look at where the Project X is:

383694450_ironshaftcomparisonj15_revised_a.thumb.jpg.ec509c62d03909b31dbae025a47394a2.jpg

I don't have any first-hand experience with the KBS Flighted, but I have no doubt it would be a better choice than the Project X, and it would be worth considering as a 2nd option.

In my opinion, this is a pretty easy decision...pull the shafts from your old Macs and use those.  You know exactly what to expect, and it's a much less expensive option.  I have done this several times over the years since they discontinued the Rifle shafts.  When I get a new set of irons I pull the Rifles out of the old heads and install them in the new ones.  Since you are soft-stepping them, you'll need to cut them down which will require new grips, but if you bought a new set of shafts you would have this expense also, so it's really a wash. 

If you are uncertain about soft-stepping once or twice, I would build 2 clubs (like the 6 iron and 9 iron for example) soft-stepped once.  Don't pull all of the shafts from your old set...just pull the 5 iron shaft and 8 iron shaft and install them in the new 6 ir and 9 ir heads.  You'll need to trim them 1/2" and grip them, but then you can compare your original 6 and 9 irons to the new, soft-stepped 6 and 9 irons.  You'll literally be able to compare apples-to-apples...same shafts, same heads, just a slightly softer flex.  Take them to the range and hit some shots and note the difference in feel, trajectory and distance.  I think it will be enough to notice a difference without it being drastic, but on the outside chance that you feel like it's not enough and soft-stepping them one more time would get you the results you're looking for, you still have the option to do it.  You'll have to re-do the new 6 and 9, but that's not a big deal.  Soft-stepping once will soften the shaft by about 1/3 of a flex...about 3 or 4 CPMs.  It should turn your 5.0 into a 4.7, or very close to it.

If you are still considering the Project X or KBS and want to figure out the appropriate flex for your needs, here is a chart that might help.  It's a few years old and doesn't show the KBS Flighted, but the Tour or one of the other models should work as a starting point:

1139027585_fcmchart.thumb.PNG.4040428003db73d70ce81da0e762c77c.PNG

Ok...I've rambled on long enough!  I hope this information helps.  Let us know which way you decide to go...

• Thumbs Up 1

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

10 minutes ago, 1badbadger said:

Because of the way they taper, they feel stiffer, and launch the ball lower with less spin. 

Interesting...Mine do not feel stiff (to me) and launch pretty high. Best, -Marv

DRIVER: Cleveland 588 Altitude ( Matrix Radix Sv Graphite, A) IRONS: Mizuno JPX-800 HD Irons & 3,4,5 JPX Fli-Hi (Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue Graphite, R); WEDGES: (Carried as needed) Artisan Golf 46, 50, 53, 56 low bounce, 56 high bounce; PUTTER: Mizuno TP Mills 9

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2105 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!