IGNORED

Chrome Soft Balloons?

Note: This thread is 2109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So, after near drought conditions in Ireland (which we're just coming out of to the relief of farmers and greens-keepers across the nation) the last few weeks have rendered all courses links-like. In these conditions I decided to really lean into the use of premium balls, to try ensure greens were held, chips checked etc.

While doing this, it nearly reinforced my opinion that the 'just below premium' balls seem to suit the way I hit the ball, but damn, those one hop - stop chips with premium balls just ain't the same with 2nd tier or lower. To the point, of all the premium balls, I found the chrome soft (and x too) had an awful tendancy to balloon, or if i felt I turned it over a smidge, it just wanted to keep goin left. I ain't had a chance to check actual spin rates, has anyone found this to be the case? And is there a premium ball anyone finds has less tendency to 'wander'? I find in terms of ticking most boxes, for me, the srixon 333-tour seems to fit my needs/swing. Thoughts?

I've played a chrome soft just a bit and I already hit a high ball but haven't noticed any "extra" height. Just that they are swishy. 

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Cool, and when you say a high ball, do you find yourself coming up any bit short then vs your normal ball? And if so if is carry or roll out your  losing it on? I find when I'm playing into the wind for example, I might lose half a club vs a similar strike with a ProV/B330. And pardon my lack of golfing vocab, swishy? Overly soft??

2 minutes ago, Darth_Fader said:

Cool, and when you say a high ball, do you find yourself coming up any bit short then vs your normal ball? And if so if is carry or roll out your  losing it on? I find when I'm playing into the wind for example, I might lose half a club vs a similar strike with a ProV/B330. And pardon my lack of golfing vocab, swishy? Overly soft??

You know I did notice a little distance loss but blamed it on myself however the ball was well hit. I may have to pull the ball out of rotation. I don't generally use it. Yes overly soft for me. 

7 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

You know I did notice a little distance loss but blamed it on myself however the ball was well hit. I may have to pull the ball out of rotation. I don't generally use it. Yes overly soft for me. 

That's pretty much exactly what I found. I'm no iron byron, but I found with the shots I hit near identically with the 3 mentioned balls, the chromey was carrying 7/9yds less with half the roll out. The latter I can live with but losing nearly a club for it ain't a trade off I'd go with. Any experiences with srixon ball then? Find the zstar also a bit spinny, but LOVE the 333tour.

15 minutes ago, Darth_Fader said:

That's pretty much exactly what I found. I'm no iron byron, but I found with the shots I hit near identically with the 3 mentioned balls, the chromey was carrying 7/9yds less with half the roll out. The latter I can live with but losing nearly a club for it ain't a trade off I'd go with. Any experiences with srixon ball then? Find the zstar also a bit spinny, but LOVE the 333tour.

I hit a very well hit wedge that ended up about 10 yards short but the greens were soft and the ball spun back about 2 yards from its mark. Generally my ball stays within a few feet if the mark. 

I don't use any Srixon balls. 

15 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

I hit a very well hit wedge that ended up about 10 yards short but the greens were soft and the ball spun back about 2 yards from its mark. Generally my ball stays within a few feet if the mark. 

I don't use any Srixon balls. 

Thats the thing, I seem to get that high flight which normally (for me) leaves tidy and consistent roll-out, whereas these balls give you that low, spinny action on landing, but with the opposite flight. It really is a Phil Mickelson ball! 🤷‍♂️ Have a go off the 333tour, esp in colder/wetter conditions, it does everything around the greens a premium ball does, but seems to have the least spinny ball flight of any urethane ball I've hit. Cover holds up well too I've found. Is there a reason you ain't used Srixon?

1 minute ago, Darth_Fader said:

Is there a reason you ain't used Srixon?

I have too many pro v's and only usually try a different  ball if I find it in really good shape. I think I have a Z star somewhere though. 

7 minutes ago, Valleygolfer said:

I have too many pro v's and only usually try a different  ball if I find it in really good shape. I think I have a Z star somewhere though. 

I know that feeling, I've a bag of 're-claimed' ProV's in the trunk that look like they were taken from the sleeve and lost on the first hit! But being the golf nerd I am I'd rather try everything and not risk missing out than nail one flag to my mast! To be fair, the ProV is as they market it, and incredibly consistent ball, assuming you actually compress it! The WStaff FG tour is a fun ball too but like the Chrome a bit spinny on full shots. But daaayyyuummm that compression!! Zstar is good, like a less spinny Chrome, much more solid to hit, worth a go! Are Top Flite Gamers still a thing over the US? Remember reading awesome reviews before but near impossible to find over here. And snell too, any thoughts?

It's a low compression ball, isn't it? Generally, faster swings will generate more spin on softer balls.

I played a softer ball for a full season and liked the extra spin I got on my irons (I get slightly less spin than ideal), but never got as much distance as I could with the driver.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

7 hours ago, billchao said:

It's a low compression ball, isn't it? Generally, faster swings will generate more spin on softer balls.

I played a softer ball for a full season and liked the extra spin I got on my irons (I get slightly less spin than ideal), but never got as much distance as I could with the driver.

The softer compression balls will spin less off the driver and longer clubs.  Typically more speed will increase spin on irons and wedges.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Note: This thread is 2109 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!