IGNORED

My Swing (NCGolfer84)

NCGolfer84
Note: This thread is 2112 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for: 2 months
My current handicap index or average score is: 30+
My typical ball flight is: inconsistent
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: driving

Videos: 

This is my swing with driver which is the club I'm having the most trouble with, my contact is very inconsistent, one shot I'll top it, one shot will be a slice, one shot will skid across the grass, etc. I just can't seem to hit even an ok drive for some reason. Any comments, tips, etc are welcome, God knows I need all the help I can get 

Edited by NCGolfer84

8 hours ago, NCGolfer84 said:

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: driving

Videos: 

This is my swing with driver which is the club I'm having the most trouble with, my contact is very inconsistent, one shot I'll top it, one shot will be a slice, one shot will skid across the grass, etc. I just can't seem to hit even an ok drive for some reason. Any comments, tips, etc are welcome, God knows I need all the help I can get 

The video will be more helpful with a ball, even a plastic one. We tend to swing differently with a ball there.  And a down-the-line view also helps.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

It seems you found the thread on starting a myswing thread.  I'm pretty sure there's a link in there with instructions on how to best film your swing.  Short of it is down the line video should be filmed parallel to the target line, but along your foot line, not the target line.  Your face on is more or less fine, though it's best to have the camera at like chest height, not looking down as much as yours is.  And, as @boogielicious said, it's key you film yourself hitting a ball, since pretty much everyone's swing is different enough, in key ways, when taking a dry swing, that critiquing it isn't all that helpful.

Do those things and people around here tend to be super generous helping you along.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, mdl said:

though it's best to have the camera at like chest height, not looking down as much as yours is.

Hands height (at setup), actually.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is: driver

Videos: 

I think this is a better video.

@iacas, ha.  Fair enough.  Just knew it was too high...

@NCGolfer84, I'll defer to players/coaches better than me, but I know enough to point out a few basic things.  Given we only have the face on, your setup looks reasonable.  Not experienced enough as a coach to say for sure your grip is fine, but to my eye it looks okay.  Only thing I see obvious at setup is that your feet are basically parallel and pointing straight towards the target line.  There's variance in how much good players flare their feet, and a few really good pros in history have at least at times had an almost square back foot.  But every good player flares their front foot.  Try angling your back foot back a bit and angling your front foot forward a decent bit more.  Angling your front foot forward a good bit will help with number 2 below.

On your swing, again I won't claim the authority/experience to rank these in terms of highest priority fixes, but I'll throw out the things that I see.  First thing is that you stand up a ton on your backswing.  Do you know the position numbers (A1 - A9)?  Regardless, A1 is setup, A4 (~0:03 in your vid) is the top of your backswing.  Look at your head at those two positions.  It's gone way up, from well below the power line at setup to above the power line at A4.  If you look at top player swings, there's some give in the head going down or even a tiny bit back, but definitely not up.

Second obvious thing I see is that you're not turning your hips nearly enough, nor sliding them forward enough.  You do a way better job than a lot of new players in not letting them drift backwards in the backswing (good sign!), but then at impact your hips are only a tiny bit past getting back to square, and have only moved forward down the target line a tiny bit.

Last thing I see is harder to say exactly without a down the line (DTL) video, which I strongly suggest you take next time you're at the range!  But to me it looks like you're coming down from the top of your swing into your down swing way steep.  You can search around the site for help on this.  By steep, I mean that if you take a DTL video, at the point in your downswing where your left arm has just gotten back to parallel, the line made by your club should at worst point just on your side of the ball, and probably at or outside it.  From your face on video, it looks like your club line at that point is probably pointing way towards you from the ball.  That's steep.

I'll defer to others to offer pointers in how to actually address these things (or others), and in what order.

Matt

Mid-Weight Heavy Putter
Cleveland Tour Action 60˚
Cleveland CG15 54˚
Nike Vapor Pro Combo, 4i-GW
Titleist 585h 19˚
Tour Edge Exotics XCG 15˚ 3 Wood
Taylormade R7 Quad 9.5˚

This is my down the line video, there are a few swings in this video I figured looking at more than one you guys might be able to spot the problem easier.

Note: This thread is 2112 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!