IGNORED

Longer/shorter irons

Note: This thread is 2099 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I was innocently minding my own business at PGASuperstore, having brought my own 7 iron (old... old DCI Titleist graphite stiff)... and I was doing comparison hits of various clubs while using my DCI as the "known entity".  I hit a Titleist AP2 but it seemed a bit short in shaft length.  I measured it against my old beater and it was about 3/4" shorter.  I hit a Rogue X, seemed good, but the shaft seemed short.  Measured and it was about 5/8" shorter.   Hit a Taylormade M3, felt REALLY good but.... short by a full inch.  Too many bells were going off and I figured out that it was NOT that these clubs were shorter, rather, my old DCI's were longer.  One of the fitters checked it out and, yep, made for someone several inches taller than my 5'10".   Luckily I have only been playing with these clubs for 15 years and never knew.   

I have no interest in getting clubs longer than "normal".    All the iron shots I hit were high draws down the center, a bit more than usual in the draw category with my DCI's.  I don't mind that a bit.  The question: what is the typical change in ball flight of moving to shorter clubs?  It would seem to me that there would be more draw bias, as I experienced.  However,  I don't know if that was just the way I was hitting them today or ????

Insights and commentary appreciated.

Thanks !!!!

The longer the shaft, on a given club, the more the club head tilts toward the heel.  Imagine what a ten foot long golf club would look like at address.  Too long, for whoever, and the club face is pointing toward the draw side of 12.  Too short. for the lie angle, and the club face will have a push bias.  We all experience this when playing a ball either well above, or below, our feet.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 2099 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!