IGNORED

Buddy Trip With Handicaps From 12 Different Courses

Surgehigh
Note: This thread is 2066 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I have 12 golfers scheduled on a golf trip to Mesquite NV.  We are coming in from all over the US and thus we have handicaps from different courses and different tee boxes. Some play from the whites and some from the golds.......or as we like to say.....the men’s forward tee boxes. We will have golfers in their 50s, 60s, and 70s age groups. Handicaps range from 12 to 30.  We will all play from the same tee box in Mesquite.....as it just is easier and faster. We try and play tees that are between 5500 and 6000 yards. This is a slight advantage to the lower handicaps as they hit longer drives.  Some guys have questioned the handicaps generated at easier courses and shorter courses. I really don’t want to take each handicap and recalculate for for every course we play in Mesquite.  Since we play a skins game... net skins......I simply need to know the amount of stokes given to each player fair to the 12 and 30 handicap player alike  

Question......

1.  Can I use everyone’s index, rather than handicap?

7 hours ago, Surgehigh said:

I have 12 golfers scheduled on a golf trip to Mesquite NV.  We are coming in from all over the US and thus we have handicaps from different courses and different tee boxes. Some play from the whites and some from the golds.......or as we like to say.....the men’s forward tee boxes. We will have golfers in their 50s, 60s, and 70s age groups. Handicaps range from 12 to 30.  We will all play from the same tee box in Mesquite.....as it just is easier and faster. We try and play tees that are between 5500 and 6000 yards. This is a slight advantage to the lower handicaps as they hit longer drives.  Some guys have questioned the handicaps generated at easier courses and shorter courses. I really don’t want to take each handicap and recalculate for for every course we play in Mesquite.  Since we play a skins game... net skins......I simply need to know the amount of stokes given to each player fair to the 12 and 30 handicap player alike  

Question......

1.  Can I use everyone’s index, rather than handicap?

Use the index to calculate their course handicap for the course you are playing. That is what the index is for.

https://www.usga.org/course-handicap-calculator.html

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, Surgehigh said:

Can I use everyone’s index, rather than handicap?

The "Index" is a means to determine a players "Course Handicap" everywhere in the world.
As @boogielicious mentioned, course handicaps will differ, pending a course slope rating at various courses.
Simply use a Course Calculator to obtain all players Course Handicaps
Here is an example of the link he provided.

Course Calculator.PNG

I suggest everyone play from the same tees as you indicated as long as the tees selected are not too difficult or a greater length
than everyone typically plays. Longer courses will give lower HDCP and long hitters an advantage. Play it forward to keep it fun for everyone.
Everyone will be playing a course which they are unfamiliar with and no-one will have an advantage. 

10 hours ago, Surgehigh said:

I really don’t want to take each handicap and recalculate for every course we play in Mesquite.

It's not really necessary for each course as the slope will most likely be similar and all players still receive equal strokes at any of the different courses. Simply establish everyone's strokes for the trip and call it that.

10 hours ago, Surgehigh said:

Some guys have questioned the handicaps generated at easier courses and shorter courses.

Why? Handicaps are determined by "Score Differentials to Par" for all golfers regardless of the course they play.
The differentials account for the course ratings and used for all players.

Lastly, Mesquite courses are incredible and a totally different style of golf.
I can't stress enough to be aware you will be in an area where Rattle Snakes are plentiful.
Be very cautious when looking for stray shots in the native areas.

• Thumbs Up 1

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

9 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Why? Handicaps are determined by "Score Differentials to Par" for all golfers regardless of the course they play.
The differentials account for the course ratings and used for all players.

People cannot get their heads around the fact that indexes are mobile, and then need to be converted to course handicaps. I get it all the time. Guys will say things like he established his handicap from the forward tees so he should get more strokes. I guess it's too complicated for some people, we even had a group at my course that used to subtract the index from their scores. Those guys would end up shooting scores 72.8 net. I just scratch my head. :doh:

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

• iacas changed the title to Buddy Trip With Handicaps From 12 Different Courses

Thank you to everyone that replied to my question.  Got it.  We definitely play it forward because if your going to travel Long distances....... we want to have fun.  It is funny the Club Rat brought up the snakes..... we also play the game snake and our group is called, WEBE Three Putters. 

Note: This thread is 2066 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!