IGNORED

Iron Length Fittings Seem Dubious

allenc
Note: This thread is 2034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've gone through a few iron fittings in the past, read about them, and watched other people's videos of theirs.  The one thing that is the oddest to me is the fitting for length.  Here is how it usually works.

There are 1/2" progressions between standard length irons.  Usually something like 38.5" for a 4 iron down to 35.5 for wedge.  Now a fitter measures my wrist to floor and sees it's a bit longer than normal.  He hands me three 7 irons, one standard (37"), one 37.5" and one 36.5".  My posture is better and I seem to hit it better with the long one.

It all seems to add up to using +1/2" irons, right?  I'm not so sure.  I hit a 37.5 better than a 37.  So what?  If all my clubs were +1/2" my 8 iron would still be 37.  And my 9 iron 36.5.  Does that mean I won't be able to hit those?  My longer irons will be longer.  Will those lengths be better or worse?

To me, if I need longer clubs, the only ones that really matter are the wedges, as those are the shortest irons in length.  For all the other irons I will have some clubs of each length whether or not I use non standard length irons.  For someone who needs shorter than standard the same would be true for their longest iron.  It would only matter that that one be 1/2" short.

So for me, who supposedly needs +1/2 inch irons, why not get the wedge +1/2" but the 4 iron standard length, with even gaps between each.  Around 3/8".  Especially since as shafts get longer it's harder to find the sweet spot.  Is the reason that you need the length progressions to keep large enough distance gaps?  I doubt 3/8" vs 1/2" would make much of a difference.

My guess is that the way we do it now is just the easiest for the manufactures, not the best for the players.  If they followed the above suggestion they would have to tweak them to non standard lie angles and have additional shaft measuring tools/settings.

Finally, I believe just properly matching lie angle to length, and making sure your longest and shortest irons are not too long or short is what is important.  It's funny, when I've attempted to bring any of this up to a fitter they would just look at me like a deer in headlights.  Part of why I have never been much impressed with most fittings I've done.

Thoughts?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, allenc said:

I doubt 3/8" vs 1/2" would make much of a difference.

So why the need for a more 'customized' fitting?

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

So why the need for a more 'customized' fitting?

My hypothetical scheme would have the irons at one end of the spectrum a half inch different.  But the gap differences would be negligible.

I kind of rambled but my main point is they make such a big deal about a certain length of irons being so much better for your posture or swing or wherever.  But wherever length you go with, most of your irons will be in a typical range anyway.  So what’s the real story?

My clubs were fit based on gap for a 7 iron.  Lengths were not even looked at. There is a bit of a slight stance difference between my 6 and 9, but not enough to really notice. (I play hybrids for longer clubs),  No real differences between my wedges.  

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

• iacas changed the title to Iron Length Fittings Seem Dubious
  • 3 weeks later...

I went to the local golf store today to inquire about swapping out a shaft in a wedge to match my current set. After a quick conversation with the fitter I asked for a quick static wrist to floor measurement as I was always suspicious of the plus 1/2 inch i was told to use. Anyway that measurement yielded a 1/4 to an 1/8 was it. I think I am going to have my irons measured and go with 1/4 from standard. 

:sunmountain: eco lite stand Bag
:tmade: Sim 2 Max driver
 :callaway: Mavrick 20 * hybrid
:tmade: M2 3HL                               :mizuno: JPX 923 5-gw                           

Lazrus 52, 56 wedges

:scotty_cameron:
:true_linkswear:-Lux Hybrid, Lux Sport, Original 1.2

:clicgear:

Note: This thread is 2034 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!