IGNORED

Acclaim Sand Wedge

Wilbersmith
Note: This thread is 1835 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

🤠whilst playing in my club pairs championship to day I commented to my playing partner on the poor state of the sand in ours bunker s

He then showed me the sand wedge  thet he uses. It's called an Acclaim Sand Wedge and he swears by it for getting out of bunkers and rough Around the greens.

It's a strange shape & I've never seen one before.  Has anyone ever seen or used one and if so do you think they r  any good? I'm thinking of getting one.

EABB9E1C-8B53-48D7-AE33-92716D4E1E5B.jpg.f63057c5d40e011a7a7db22336ec756c.jpg

This?

• Thumbs Up 1

- Steve

Driver: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917D2 (9.5*), 3/4 Wood: titleist.png.44b235e3fc0459caf96200c226b82945.png 917F2 (16*),
Hybrids: taylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Rescue Mid (19*) & :wilsonstaff: D100 (22*), 5i-PW, GW: cobra.png.f5a0c3806c04153a74a3b11aaf4308b0.png F7 One Length
Wedges: :wilsonstaff: PMP (54* & 58*), Putter: taylormade.png.b56433b17b721d4da3cda2f79f9e73a7.png Spider Mini

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There are others on the market that are meant to do similar things, such as the Alien wedge, the Ray Cook shotsaver wedge, Touch Tour ecape wedge (very similar to the one in this post), the Hireko Sand Blaster, and the Perfect Club Hybrid wedge.

Never tried one myself but there are many conflicting tales on them either being one trick ponies or awesome from every lie. I will say however if they help golfers enjoy playing more then thats the most importnant point.

• Informative 1

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Some of these sort of products can work, Check out this review of infomercial wedges which includes the c3i, a similar wedge with a massive sole to what your friend has. 

In the test above, the c3i leaves only 6% in the bunker, outperforming traditional wedges for that testing group. 

I don't have such a wedge,  but from what I can infer I'd say the trade off would be lack of flexibility (unusual sand, close to the lip etc), difficulty to use elsewhere (especially on the fairway), and not being able to develop a high level of skill with bunker shots (which would require face manipulation). The last one is the kicker for me - I really enjoy the challenge of bunker shots, and I want to develop this skill over my lifetime. 

If you can live with those trade offs and just want something that will get the ball out more often, there's every chance it'll work for you.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 7 months later...

I got myself an Acclaim sand wedge when they first came onto the market about 35 years ago. This is the most useful club ever. It will get out of steep bunkers and goes through the deep rough with regular and predictable ease. It has a rounded face with a large sole area. The head is heavy and solid which cured my habit of decelerating when playing out of sand or deep rough. Once you start the downswing it is difficult to slow it down and it cuts through sand or rough. Contrary to other posts it is easy to manipulate the face and I find it very flexible. Any lob shot, 5 yrds to 100 yrds, it is my go to club. 

After 35 years I still won't trade this for any other wedge on the market irrespective of brand or price.

Note: This thread is 1835 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!