IGNORED

My Swing (Thelonious_Funk)

Thelonious_Funk
Note:Β This thread is 1646 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

I've been Playing Golf for:Β 18 years
My current handicap index or average score is:Β 5.7
My typical ball flight is:Β Draw
The shot I hate or the "miss" I'm trying to reduce/eliminate is:Β  Pull hook

This was my best strike of the day - a pure 3 to 5 yard baby draw.Β  After years of hovering around a 9 handicap I took a big step forward.Β  I realized I was controlling the swing with my right arm leading to pull hooks and an inability to fade the ball.Β  I began practicing left arm only half swings with a sand wedge religiously and within a couple weeks I was striking the ball the best I ever have.Β  My handicap dropped to a 5.3 at one point and I shot a career low 75 (par 72 - 71.0 rating)Β I have one swing thought - "Left" -Β  I basically try and hit back hand tennis shots with the left side of my body.Β I feel great about my swing.Β  I know the toe of the club is in the air and my posture at address is not good - I've worked on it and it feels horrible any other way.Β  Β I'll continue to work on my set up at address, but not too worried about it.Β  I've never taken a lesson in my life and like my homemade swing warts and all.Β  Thanks for your feedback!

Videos:Β 

Β 

Β 

• 5 months later...

First range sess of the season.Β  It got off to a shaky start, but after taking a break and hitting a few pitches in the short game area something clicked.Β  I am right eye dominant and my natural tendency is for my right side to take over the swing.Β  Realized I need to work to approaching/aiming with my left eye in order to engage my left side and neutralize my right side.Β  This shot was pulled a bit, but I'll take this swing to start the season.

Overall, had a good first range sess.Β  Looking forward to another range sess or two and then playing. Will be working on left arm only swings and swinging with my right eye closed to build up my left eye coordination in the net in the basement.

Hope everyone's season is off to a good start!

Β 

U do look well awkward over the ball bud,but if it’s working for u stick with it,there’s no wrong or rite way to hit a golf ball pal not in my eyes anyway πŸ‘

20 hours ago, Jossypit said:

U do look well awkward over the ball bud,but if it’s working for u stick with it,there’s no wrong or rite way to hit a golf ball pal not in my eyes anyway πŸ‘

As the great Arnold Palmer said "swing your swing".Β  I take it as a compliment.Β  I like having a swing that is mine and unique.Β  Β 

I'm open to suggestions for change.Β  I know at address my posture is poor and the club shaft needs to be more upright.Β  I work on changing it, but it's difficult when I'm lucky to get to the range 3/play 2Β times a month during the summer.Β  Also think my position at impact is pretty good.

Swing 1.PNG

Swing 2.PNG

Swing 3.PNG

• Administrator

@Thelonious_Funk, if you're not committed to changing a setup position, and you don't think you want to do it, why should anyone think you're willing to change a dynamic piece, which is much, much more difficult?

Actual question.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, iacas said:

@Thelonious_Funk, if you're not committed to changing a setup position, and you don't think you want to do it, why should anyone think you're willing to change a dynamic piece, which is much, much more difficult?

Actual question.

I've committed to change in the past and am open to suggestions, insight, advice.Β  In 2011, I was playing the best golf of my life.Β  One night I shot a 1 under from the tips through 11 holes, something I'd never done before.Β  After the round I was happy but at the same time I knew my swing was bad and my game was inconsistent.Β  I had a takeaway that went way out side and I'd have to have everything clicking to get the club back on the path to hit a good shot, if i didn't my misses were all over the place.Β  I worked to change it and was a much worse golfer from 2012 to 2014.Β  2015 I broke 80 again for the first time and last season was the best golf I've ever played.Β  Whatever my swing is in the videos above, it's a lot better than it was in 2011.

Β 

I watch swings on youtube, read magazines and articles on the web, and browse message boards looking for ways to improve.Β  I'm not looking for the "secret" to the perfect swing, but moreΒ looking the article or tip where the author makes me think about a concept in a way that I've never thought about before.Β Maybe a post from a user in this thread with a set up will be theΒ  "aha" moment that makes me think about it in a completely different way.Β  Or provides a drill that becomes a staple of my practice.

I want to improve and work diligently at it.Β  I also don't think I have the energy for a major swing overhaul again. If I wasn't a new Dad, lived close to a golf course, etc I might be up for it.Β  But I play 15 times a summer and try and get to the range once a week.Β  I have to balance improvement with working with my natural swing.

Thanks for reading.Β  I understand if someone may not want to invest their time into offering insight on my swing because I seem like a person who is set in their ways.Β  But I would appreciate any insight offered and read it with an open mind.Β  Cheers.

20 hours ago, Thelonious_Funk said:

I'm open to suggestions for change.Β  I know at address my posture is poor and the club shaft needs to be more upright.Β  I work on changing it, but it's difficult when I'm lucky to get to the range 3/play 2Β times a month during the summer.Β Β 

26 minutes ago, Thelonious_Funk said:

I want to improve and work diligently at it.

Those two statements in bold contradict each other. You said you dont get much time to get to the range/course, but then you said you want to improve and work diligently at improving.Β 

29 minutes ago, Thelonious_Funk said:

Maybe a post from a user in this thread with a set up will be theΒ  "aha" moment that makes me think about it in a completely different way.Β  Or provides a drill that becomes a staple of my practice.

You don't need a drill to fix your posture and position of the clubΒ at address, it's static.Β 

31 minutes ago, Thelonious_Funk said:

I also don't think I have the energy for a major swing overhaul again.Β 

Again, fixing your posture and club position at address isn't a major swing overhaul and is easier than changing other aspects of your swing where the club is moving.

You can practice proper posture and club position in front of a mirror in your house for a couple minutes a day.Β 

I suggest starting here

Β 

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver:Β :callaway:Β Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:Β Β :cobra:Β Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons:Β :tmade:Β P770 (4-PW)
Wedges:Β :callaway:Β MD3 50Β  Β MD5 54 58Β degreeΒ Β 
Putter:Β :odyssey:Β  White Hot RX #1
Ball:Β :srixon:Β Z Star XV

23 minutes ago, klineka said:

Those two statements in bold contradict each other. You said you dont get much time to get to the range/course, but then you said you want to improve and work diligently at improving.Β 

You don't need a drill to fix your posture and position of the clubΒ at address, it's static.Β 

Again, fixing your posture and club position at address isn't a major swing overhaul and is easier than changing other aspects of your swing where the club is moving.

You can practice proper posture and club position in front of a mirror in your house for a couple minutes a day.

I suggest starting here

Β 

Why the hostility?Β  I posted a couple swing videos on a blog.

"Those two statements in bold contradict each other. You said you dont get much time to get to the range/course, but then you said you want to improve and work diligently at improving."

How is that contradictory?Β  I work on making changes - it's difficult to implement those changes when I'm lucky to get to the range once a week.Β  Yes, I want to make changes and Yes, I work diligently at improving.Β  I have a net in my basement - I can't make full swings, but I can make 1/2 swings.Β  Despite the limitations, you can get a decent form of practice in and I credit the work I've done in my basement with taking a leap from a 9 handicap to 5.7 last summer.Β  Things I've worked on in the past week - slow half swings, One arm swings with my left and right arms, swings with one eye closed, posture, grip, etc..Β  Work can also be accomplished by reading books, articles.Β  I keep a journal where I track my practice and work on putting my swing thoughts into words and phrases.Β  I've got a putting mat and can practice putting.Β  I've got a chipping net and a small backyard where I can work on pitches.Β  I stretch and make practice swings with no clubs.Β  In other words, with a little imagination, I've found ways to work diligently at improving despite not living within 20 minutes of a golf course and only having time to go to the driving once a week.Β 

"You can practice proper posture and club position in front of a mirror in your house for a couple minutes a day."

Yes you can.Β  What i struggle with is that one small change to posture or set up creates a chain reaction in my swing - a more upright posture affects the takeaway, swing plane, swing thoughts I've worked hard to understand - and all of sudden that one change has resulted in a completely different swing.Β  It's one thing to work on it and get it to a place where I feel more comfortable with half swings in my basement or even on the mat at the range.Β  Then you get to the golf course and hit a couple shanks the first couple holes...

I'm honest with myself - it's a delicate balance of changing certain things and sticking with old habits so that I can give myself a chance to improve but also make the most of the 15 times I get to play golf a year.

Thank you for the article suggestion.Β  I'll read it.Β  Cheers.

Β 

Β 

Β 

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Thelonious_Funk said:

Why the hostility?Β  I posted a couple swing videos on a blog.

You're gonna have a really bad experience here if you take that anything he said as remotely hostile.

It wasn't. He's trying to help you.

"Those two statements in bold contradict each other.

That's not hostile.

How is that contradictory?

TBH, I took it as contradictory too. That's why I posted what I posted.

I work on making changes - it's difficult to implement those changes when I'm lucky to get to the range once a week.

He pointed out that you can work on setup changes at home.

01.jpg

I agree that setup is your biggest priority right now. Get the right setup, see what your swing looks like then, and find the next priority.

Your setup is not the priority because it's "different" but because of what it's causing you to do in your golf swing.

BTW…

21 hours ago, Thelonious_Funk said:

I know at address my posture is poor and the club shaft needs to be more upright.Β  I work on changing it, but it's difficult when I'm lucky to get to the range 3/play 2Β times a month during the summer.

This is the part I read, and it read (to me) like you were already making excuses. "I know it's poor, but… it's difficult to change." FWIW.

Erik J. Barzeski β€” β›³Β I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. πŸŒπŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Director of InstructionΒ Golf EvolutionΒ β€’Β Owner,Β The Sand Trap .comΒ β€’Β Author,Β Lowest Score Wins
Golf DigestΒ "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17Β &Β "Best in State" 2017-20Β β€’ WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019Β :edel:Β :true_linkswear:

Check Out:Β New TopicsΒ |Β TST BlogΒ |Β Golf TermsΒ |Β Instructional ContentΒ |Β AnalyzrΒ |Β LSWΒ | Instructional Droplets

• 1 month later...

Swing from 4/28 range session.Β  I think I've made a small improvement in posture and set up.Β  I've been working on it.

The season got off to a good start.Β  Shot an 81 first time out, second time out didn't keep score (never played the course, it was really wet so was LCP'ing everything, and the first 5 holes there was a thick fog with visibility <100 yards) hit the ball pretty well though.Β  Third time out shot a 78 at my home course - Really proud of this round because 1) I was able to rollover my swing from the end of last season when I was playing the best golf of my life to 2019.Β  Proved to myself last season wasn't a fluke and that I have some sort of knowledge of my swing (imperfect as it is).Β  2) I struggled for 10 years to break 80 at this course, finally broke through in August 2018.Β  Pretty exciting to break 80 the first time playing the course this season especially considering I triple'd the first hole - something in the past which would have totally derailed me.Β  Was very happy that I was able to take a deep breath and move on.

As happy as I was with the 78, I know I need to improve my swing to continue to improve.Β  I think something "clicked" over the past week and was really happy it translated to a very solid range sess on Sunday.Β  Excited to keep working on it and trying to improve.Β 

Thanks for the feedback.Β Β 

Β 

Β 

• Administrator

Okay.

Keep working. And consider posting elsewhere… we're all here to talk golf.

• 5 months later...

Swing from Saturday 10/19.

I think I've ended the season with a better swing than I started.Β  Realized halfway through the season that my clubface was closed through the entire swing.Β  I started to focus on rotation and saw dividends immediately.Β  Shot a career best +1 73 (71.9/124) and finished the season with 3 scores in the 70's.Β  Β I've never hit the ball straighter in my life and feel confident with every club in the bag.Β  Went from struggling to hit a 3 wood off the deck to it being one of the biggest reasons for my improvement.Β  Been hitting really nice long irons lately, too.Β  I'm really happy!Β  I know my swing is far from perfect, but I'll take it for now and will continue to work for improvement.

Note:Β This thread is 1646 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!