IGNORED

Is it time for me to upgrade?

Note: This thread is 1963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi guys!

It's been a while since I last posted on here, but since I finished my studies this year I want to get back to playing a bit more often if possible. I only played 10 rounds in 2018 and my handicap (unofficially) is around 20 at the moment. My current set of clubs are as follow:

• Driver: Titleist 910 D2 (set at 10.25 deg) - Aldila RIP Alpha 60g Stiff
  • 3 Wood: King Cobra F/Speed (15.5 deg) - Cobra Aldila NV-F Speed Tuned 55g Stiff
  • 3 Hybrid: Cobra AMP Cell (set at 19 deg) - Cobra 58g Stiff
  • Irons: Mizuno MX-15 T-Zoid (4i-PW) - True Temper Release Regular
  • Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled (52 deg, 8 bounce); Titleist Vokey 200 Series (52 deg, 8 bounce)
  • Putter: Odyssey White Ice #1

I'm fine with my driver, even though I'm still inconsistent. My 3 wood and 3 hybrid are some of my more reliable clubs, both off the tee and the fairway. My wedges are getting a bit old, but they still do the job. My putter gave me some worry a few months ago, but I've sorted that out. My main concern is my irons, as I've dropped a complete club length in my distances over the past year, and my confidence with anything more than an 8 iron has dropped very low. Could it be time to look at an upgrade?

As I've just finished my studies, and starting at a bare-bones salary, I'm on quite a tight budget. I have identified a few new and used iron sets that I might be able to afford within the next few months. Here is what I've come up with:

USED Irons (Available online, but close enough that I could possibly organize a session to test them out):

• Callaway X Hot Pro (3i-SW) - Project X 5.5 [~$270]
  • TaylorMade PSi (4i-PW) - True Temper Dynamic Gold 105 Stiff [~$340]
  • TaylorMade R7 TP (4i-PW) - True Temper Dynamic Gold R300 [~$270]
  • Mizuno MP-5 (3i-PW) - KBS Tour Stiff [~$260] *Requires new grips, and probably out of my league
  • Ping i10 (3i-SW) - ?Unsure about shaft? [~$200] *Blue dot
  • Nike VR Full Cavity (4i-SW *incl. AW) - True Temper Dynamic Gold High Launch ?Unsure about stiffness? [~$105]

NEW Irons (From The Pro Shop - South Africa):

• Wilson C300 (4i-PW) - Stock Shaft (KBS Tour 90?) Regular OR Stiff [~$485]
  • Cleveland CG 16 (4i-PW) - Stock Shaft (Traction 85?) Regular OR Stiff [~$420]
  • Cleveland Launcher CBX (4i-PW) - Stock Shaft (True Temper Dynamic Gold DST 98?) Regular OR Stiff [~$760]

*Edit: I could also go to The Pro Shop and see what used clubs they have available, but they are generally still quite pricey.

If I go with a set of new irons, I'd probably have to wait a few months before I can afford it. Of the used irons I can probably afford up to $300 at the moment, anything more and I'd have to wait a while too.

What do you guys think I should do: Should I go used? Or should I wait and buy new? Or should I just stick with what I have for now?

Thanks in advance!

Edited by ChrisPietersen

Driver: Cobra Amp Cell-S - 10.5°
Woods: Cobra F-Speed 3 Wood - 15.5°
Hybrids: Cobra Amp Cell 2/3 Hybrid - 16°-19°
Irons: Mizuno MX-15 - 4-PW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled - 52°/8°, Titleist Vokey SM4 - 54°/8°, Titleist Vokey Oil Can - 58°/8°
Putter: Odyssey White Ice #1

Proud member of the "Breaking Bad Club"!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

100% your choice here. I personally like new stuff. I like getting fitted for irons, and the fitting is usually free with a purchase of the irons. I can see the benefit of used clubs if they don't have much wear and tear on them.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Good to hear you've got the itch to play more.  I know I didn't really get into golf until I was working full time and had the time and budget to do so.  Sorry if I'm not much help, but it all kinda depends on what you're after.  My irons are from a similar timeframe, maybe a few years newer so I know Mizuno makes good stuff.  But it sounds like maybe you need more forgiveness if you're not confident with anything longer than an 8 iron.  The options that you're showing have a wide range of shaft types.  You've got on there more stout shafts like the Project X/Dynamic gold all the way to what looks like an 85 gram shaft.  That's a very large difference in shaft weight and could very well affect the way the club performs for you.

If you can, definitely test them.. Even though you're buying used, a new set is an investment and I'd say they're worth a hit before purchasing.  Have you thought about sticking with your current irons and taking lessons?  A particular set may work a bit better for you, but you may improve faster with some good instruction.  Best of luck!

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

36 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

100% your choice here. I personally like new stuff. I like getting fitted for irons, and the fitting is usually free with a purchase of the irons. I can see the benefit of used clubs if they don't have much wear and tear on them.

Would you say it would be more worth it to stick with my current clubs until I can afford a new set then? I must say, I really like the look of the CBX irons.

11 minutes ago, Foot Wedge said:

Good to hear you've got the itch to play more.  I know I didn't really get into golf until I was working full time and had the time and budget to do so.  Sorry if I'm not much help, but it all kinda depends on what you're after.  My irons are from a similar timeframe, maybe a few years newer so I know Mizuno makes good stuff.  But it sounds like maybe you need more forgiveness if you're not confident with anything longer than an 8 iron.  The options that you're showing have a wide range of shaft types.  You've got on there more stout shafts like the Project X/Dynamic gold all the way to what looks like an 85 gram shaft.  That's a very large difference in shaft weight and could very well affect the way the club performs for you.

If you can, definitely test them.. Even though you're buying used, a new set is an investment and I'd say they're worth a hit before purchasing.  Have you thought about sticking with your current irons and taking lessons?  A particular set may work a bit better for you, but you may improve faster with some good instruction.  Best of luck!

I honestly don't know much about different shafts except the difference between regular and stiff.🙈 And you are probably right, I need to get something more forgiving, and most of the used options are probably a bit to good for me (except maybe the Nike set).

I don't really have much time for lessons at the moment with the new job and all, but I may look into it when I get settled in throughout the new year. I could stick with my current clubs a bit longer though, at least until I build up a bit more consistency in my iron striking. Then I could consider getting fit too (if I save up the funds for a new set).  

Driver: Cobra Amp Cell-S - 10.5°
Woods: Cobra F-Speed 3 Wood - 15.5°
Hybrids: Cobra Amp Cell 2/3 Hybrid - 16°-19°
Irons: Mizuno MX-15 - 4-PW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled - 52°/8°, Titleist Vokey SM4 - 54°/8°, Titleist Vokey Oil Can - 58°/8°
Putter: Odyssey White Ice #1

Proud member of the "Breaking Bad Club"!

Just now, ChrisPietersen said:

Would you say it would be more worth it to stick with my current clubs until I can afford a new set then? I must say, I really like the look of the CBX irons.

I wouldn't say that. If you find a good set of used clubs, then it's a good deal. I can not and really will not make this choice for you. :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

1 hour ago, ChrisPietersen said:

I'd say it'd be worth it to stick with your clubs until you can afford the RIGHT set.  If there's a used set of irons that perform for you, then great!  Problem is knowing what's best for you.  Best to at least hit the clubs or get fitted.  I'm on a bit of a budget right now and talked to a local shop.  They could do just a shaft fitting for less than half of what a full iron fitting would cost, and then I can buy shafts and install them myself.  There are work-arounds out there.  If possible, at least take your clubs to a shop and hit them side by side with what they have and see if there are options that offer a real benefit to you.  Then you can search for them used.

1 hour ago, ChrisPietersen said:

I honestly don't know much about different shafts except the difference between regular and stiff

Even this varies greatly between shaft manufacturers.  Basically it boils down to some shafts jive with your swing, others don't.  It's important to hit what's out there ans see what works for you.

Just my opinion from someone who's trying to avoid the cost of a full out custom fitted set.

Diego’s Gear
Driver: Callaway Great Big Bertha at 11.5*
5W: Taylormade Jetspeed 19*
Hybrid: Ping G5 22*
Irons: Mizuno MX-23 4-PW
Wedges: Cleveland RTX 2.0 50*, 54*, 58*
Putter: Ping Ketsch 33”
My Swing: https://thesandtrap.com/forums/topic/93417-my-swing-foot-wedge/

Do you have a good Pro Shop near you? I would take your irons in, have them watch you swing, (which should be free) and let them know your financial dilemma. They are in a better position to advise and may have access to a set of used clubs that suit your needs, assuming they suggest you get a different set. Most Pro Shops really want to work with new customers because they want your long term business. You can look at the big name stores, e.g., Dicks, Golf Galaxy, etc. but I suggest a good Pro Shop instead. Good luck on your search and let us know what you decide to do. PS, I would not buy a set of used clubs without first testing them,

I've got a few pots and pans that are older than I am.  Do I need an upgrade?  No...I do not.  Newer and more expensive does not qualify as an upgrade.  An upgrade would have to be an improvement...no matter the cost.  

My current irons are 8 years old.  I assembled them from a 100 dollar set of heads and a salvaged set of shafts.  They are still in the bag because I hit them well.  They replaced an 800 dollar set of Callaways...that I never got the balance of.  Just saying...

• Informative 1

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

23 hours ago, Piz said:

I've got a few pots and pans that are older than I am.  Do I need an upgrade?  No...I do not.  Newer and more expensive does not qualify as an upgrade.  An upgrade would have to be an improvement...no matter the cost.  

My current irons are 8 years old.  I assembled them from a 100 dollar set of heads and a salvaged set of shafts.  They are still in the bag because I hit them well.  They replaced an 800 dollar set of Callaways...that I never got the balance of.  Just saying...

Where did you buy the heads? And how did you decide on which head and shaft combination before you assembled them? 

6 hours ago, cooke119 said:

Where did you buy the heads? And how did you decide on which head and shaft combination before you assembled them? 

I bought the heads from Maltby.  They were on sale.  The shafts I had left over from a re-shaft I had done for a friend.  He wanted to switch to graphite so that is what we did.  A few years later I saw the heads on sale and thought hey...I've got a set of shafts...sitting around doing nothing...why not?   They work great.  The older Cobras (3-pw) match up fine with the newer Maltbys (4-gw) and I haven't looked back.  It might not have worked...but it did.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

On ‎12‎/‎22‎/‎2018 at 11:54 PM, Piz said:

I bought the heads from Maltby.  They were on sale.  The shafts I had left over from a re-shaft I had done for a friend.  He wanted to switch to graphite so that is what we did.  A few years later I saw the heads on sale and thought hey...I've got a set of shafts...sitting around doing nothing...why not?   They work great.  The older Cobras (3-pw) match up fine with the newer Maltbys (4-gw) and I haven't looked back.  It might not have worked...but it did.

Good for you.

Note: This thread is 1963 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!