IGNORED

My Swing (Typhoon92)

Typhoon92
Note: This thread is 1746 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So here's my issue that I want to fix.  I want my upper body more over my left side in the finish.  Maybe it's needing to " get left"... I'm not falling back and I don't want to slide through.  My head stays on a line in the backswing ( I'm actually working on moving it a little like Stenson does) and at impact but i want it past that line a bit in the finish.  

Little flip I'm working on by shortening my swing.  This is actually short for me.  

So I just need a " feeling" or drill to get my upper body more inline with my left leg at finish.  Thanks for any suggestions in advance!

Videos: 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

John, to be honest, I don't agree with the direction you want to go. This isn't the type of position where you want to move your upper center forward:

04.jpg

You don't have much axis tilt as it is, your head moves around a good bit right now, and one of those directions is that it already goes forward on the downswing.

01.jpg

Here you're around A6 with the clubhead outside of your hands. You either play cuts or right-aiming pulls. You've got ~10° of axis tilt and the clubhead is going to crash into the ground pretty hard unless you do one or both of two things: 1) flip a little bit and/or bend the left elbow, and 2) tip your head back a little bit.

You do both (the head tipping back isn't huge, but it's still there):

02.jpg

Head tips back, left elbow and wrist fold, all helping the club shallow out and get out of the ground..

This all moves right into a slower-than-it-should-be pivot in the impact to follow through areas.

03.jpg

You can see your pivot speed stalls out here, which helps you not wipe across the ball even more than you already are.

I'd work on something else. I wouldn't work on "trying to get your head past the ball" or anything like that at all.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Agree with @iacas to focus on other pieces. I just don't see any reason to get the head more forward or more over your lead side in the finish.

typhoon 2.jpgtyphoon 3.jpg

What I think would be better to spend time on is how the hips slide back rather than turn on the backswing.

typhoon 1.jpg

Stenson does shift early but then he rotates his trunk and re-centers his hips by the top.

typhoon 6.jpgtyphoon 7.jpg

I'd do this drill for the feel.

I'd also look at adding some knee flex, knees look too straight with the weight in the heels. Try to get the orange dot to the green line and feel the weight more on the balls of the feet.

typhoon 4.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Thank u guys!  Yes, my knees need more flex, totally forget about that.  What does look better actually is my head is where I wanted it to be by letting the momentum of my swing carry me through my finish.  Previously my head was staying at the impact / address position.

The slide is new... My pro is trying to get me to move off the ball and I can see where you pointed out the slide.  I like the breakdown of Stenson's motion as well.  I'm better off on this the way I was before so thank u for pointing that out as well.

I do get " the pulls"... Just this year.  Nothing real bad, typically left side of the green but aggravating.  The correction ends up in a push.  Shortening my swing the end of the year seems to help.   Nice to finally know why.

• Administrator

So… are you going to work on what you should actually work on, then?

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yes Iacas, I'll even post some videos now that I know how every once in a while.  Again, thanks to u guys.

I haven't hit a ball the last couple days but the knee flex thing is a game changer right there.  I was in front of the mirror last night face on and down the line.  Way back when I used to like Couple swing and he appeared to have very little knee flex at address.  Also, being short, I was trying to add width by being taller.   I took some swings in the garage with the Superspeed clubs and saw that with no flex I would come OTT.  With more flex I drop the club down from the inside better.

Iacas, the pivot at impact where my hips stall out....could that be also me trying to keep my right foot planted at impact?  If I " let it go" and let momentum work that should speed up my hips?  Or think posting the left leg will get me to pivot better.

• Administrator
6 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

Yes Iacas, I'll even post some videos now that I know how every once in a while.  Again, thanks to u guys.

I haven't hit a ball the last couple days but the knee flex thing is a game changer right there.  I was in front of the mirror last night face on and down the line.  Way back when I used to like Couple swing and he appeared to have very little knee flex at address.  Also, being short, I was trying to add width by being taller.   I took some swings in the garage with the Superspeed clubs and saw that with no flex I would come OTT.  With more flex I drop the club down from the inside better.

Good, because… yeah, it's a bit OTT right now.

6 hours ago, Typhoon92 said:

Iacas, the pivot at impact where my hips stall out....could that be also me trying to keep my right foot planted at impact?  If I " let it go" and let momentum work that should speed up my hips?  Or think posting the left leg will get me to pivot better.

Keeping the right foot down, whether consciously or out of habit, can inhibit the pivot, sure. Learning to snap the left hip around later can help.

Do one thing at a time, though. That's probably second, after a revised setup.

Yes, having a different set of eyes seeing this and that, I want to correct it all at once...LOL.

I know most issues start at address so I'm going to work with that first.  Grabbed my 8 iron last nite and took some swings with knee flex.  Big thing other than no OTT was I finally got the feeling of using the ground with my feet.  With no knee flex I could never get that feeling.  

Can't wait to get started.  

Here's a few pics tonite from my swing. Didn't want to bother u with a video so soon.

2 things I wanted to focus on now...knee flex and not sliding through impact and losing my pivot.

Address I can see where the line you drew on a previous pic from my shoulders didn't hit my knees, now the line would hit my knees.  I was also able to maintain my knee flex in the backswing which gave me a better look at the top.  Right hip looks better, no start of a reverse pivot.  Much more powerful look and feel at the top.

At impact I focused on posting to my left leg and was able to stop the slide.

So far so good.  Best thing was nothing felt awkward.  Felt better actually, more stable...looked better and hit it a bit further keeping the same launch angle.

IMAG5171.jpg

IMAG5169.jpg

IMAG5172.jpg

Still working on it though, this stuff u mentioned was a good start.  

• 6 months later...

So it's been 6 months.  I wanted to say thank you to the guys on this thread who responded with help.  I'm happy to say adding some knee flex backed me off the ball a bit and gave me more room to swing from the inside.

This year I have hit my irons better than I ever have.  I'm hitting more greens and scoring better.  Much more accurate and fewer mishits.  I usually just play9 and in the past hit an average of 7 GIR .  This year, 7 is the poor side.  Every round has been 8 or 9.

So again, thanks for helping make my swing better.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator

Great to hear.

Congrats.

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1746 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!