IGNORED

Carrying Two PW and 6 Hybrid/7-Iron Go Same Distance

Note: This thread is 1879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

New Golfer looking for some advice on my bag setup. 

I love the Ping G400 Hybrids but am finding that I hit my 30* 6H the same distance as my 7 Iron. I was looking to get the G15 8 Iron to fill in the gap in my setup but am worried the loft gaps are wrong.

My current setup is in the picture below and the 4H & 8I are the clubs I am looking to add but am wondering if I need to change my approach to the iron setup. 

image.png.a1abba2c07a108b885b69e54b67e5691.png

The only other setup I can see that would have more even loft gaps would be to have two Pitching Wedges which seems insane!

image.png.5c45c7130ba933d31d742ca988ea506f.png

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and suggestions on irons that might be suitable as I would like to keep my Vokey wedges and also really like my 47* Ping Tour Gorge Wedge. Doesn't have to be Ping either just anything that would work better than what I have! 

Thanks in advance!

In the first chart it seems as though you just don’t need the 7i? If you hit the 6H the same distance then eliminate one of them?

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

3 hours ago, SiamSerpent said:

Any advice would be greatly appreciated and suggestions on irons that might be suitable as I would like to keep my Vokey wedges and also really like my 47* Ping Tour Gorge Wedge. Doesn't have to be Ping either just anything that would work better than what I have!  

Thanks in advance!

Get your wedges bent to allow you to play with a 9 iron. Most PW will be 44,45,or 46 degrees. You will struggle to find proper gaps with a 47 degree wedge.

I would get the 47 degree bent down to 46 degrees. If you want you can get the 9 iron bent to 41 degrees. 5-6 degrees isn't that bad of a loft gap in the wedges and short irons.

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

12 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Get your wedges bent to allow you to play with a 9 iron. Most PW will be 44,45,or 46 degrees. You will struggle to find proper gaps with a 47 degree wedge.

I would get the 47 degree bent down to 46 degrees. If you want you can get the 9 iron bent to 41 degrees. 5-6 degrees isn't that bad of a loft gap in the wedges and short irons.

Ok that makes sense! 

Would you suggest I drop the 7 Iron as well like Vinsk said and go 30* 6H, 34-36* 8 Iron, 40-41* 9 Iron?

1 minute ago, SiamSerpent said:

Ok that makes sense! 

Would you suggest I drop the 7 Iron as well like Vinsk said and go 30* 6H, 34-36* 8 Iron, 40-41* 9 Iron?

I can't make that suggestion. If you feel like you hit hybrids well, then they have some benefits over long irons for some. Others like long irons. I can't tell you if that is the case for you.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

4 minutes ago, saevel25 said:

I can't make that suggestion. If you feel like you hit hybrids well, then they have some benefits over long irons for some. Others like long irons. I can't tell you if that is the case for you.

Sorry I've got you confused! I'm super happy with the Hybrids and hit them well. No intention of getting rid of them 🙂

I just mean in terms of having no 7 iron in my bag and going from a 6 Hybrid to an 8 Iron being the next club in my bag. It isn't a setup I have seen anyone using.

• iacas changed the title to Carrying Two PW and 6 Hybrid/7-Iron Go Same Distance
Note: This thread is 1879 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!