IGNORED

Better Sequencing Leading To Lost Swing Speed?

Note: This thread is 1897 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Working on better separation between lower and upper body, especially to start the downswing. Old habit was to start downswing with upper body or upper and lower together. Issues with contact and low point.

Before change averages: 85-7 swing speed, 160-165 carry, dynamic loft around 26-8, spin 7000-8000. 

After change averages: 80-1 swing speed, 160-165 carry, dynamic loft 24-5, spin 6000-7000.

In to out or neutral swing path for both.  Above is 7i numbers.

Big gain is better control over face and consistently good smash factors (many 1.4+ on track man with 7i). One of my main goals with improving my impact position was to bring down spin and launch as both were high and causing high, weak ball flights. Happy with that improvement. 

Thing I’m confused about is the loss in swing speed. For now im fine with it while I continue to ingrain the new movements/feelings but im surprised with the decline in speed. Fortunately the improved launch and impact conditions are off setting the lost speed to maintain distance. 

Anyone know what could be going on or gone through something similar? Basically transitioning from an upper body dominant swing to one with better sequencing but lost speed in the process. 

I plan to check in with my instructor about it but won’t see him for a bit. Thanks. 

• Upvote 1

I suggest you update your swing thread so people can see what you're doing with your current changes.

My first thought regarding the reduction in swing speed is that maybe you might have become too passive with the upper body. Arm speed is important in generating swing speed.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

What @billchao said may be a factor, or possibly just that you're "working" on something right now, so it's a little tentative and a little slower as a result.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1897 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!