IGNORED

Dammit. I Got the MBP 2016 Keyboard Problem

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I thought I got lucky, waited about a year to get the 2016 MBP and haven't had any issues with the keyboard. Then couldn't login and finally was able to with an external keyboard. Made an appointment with the Genius Bar, hope the bill won't be too crazy and I get the repair done within a reasonable amount of time. Good thing I kept my old MBP in order.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• nevets88 changed the title to Dammit. I Got the MBP 2016 Keyboard Problem

Did you have an issue with a specific key (or keys), or is your keyboard just completely not working?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator

There’s a repair extension problem. They’re free.

https://www.apple.com/support/keyboard-service-program-for-macbook-and-macbook-pro/

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thanks. Glad keyboard program is free because I didn’t get AC. Should have gotten that in retrospect. 

The left side of the keyboard works @jamo, when I start typing with my right hand then nothing happens. The space bar works. And the function keys. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator

Your entire right hand? That's a different type of thing. Should still be covered, but, yeah… that's not a stuck key due to debris or dust or whatever.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Your entire right hand? That's a different type of thing. Should still be covered, but, yeah… that's not a stuck key due to debris or dust or whatever.

On closer examination, these are the keys that don't work - 7 8 9 U I J K L M. So it's one isolated area. My compressed air can ran out just as I started so didn't really give it a good go, so rescheduled GB appointment for later and will try the compressed air again.

Steve

• Administrator

It's usually just a key or two. That sounds like some other kind of weird issue.

2 minutes ago, iacas said:

It's usually just a key or two. That sounds like some other kind of weird issue.

Yeah, I don't wanna sound like an idiot when I go to the GB and not give it a half decent go at it myself. Rescheduled to a store that I think will get better service/not as busy too.

Steve

This is weird. Tried compressed air a number of times, the keys still don't work when logged in, but my password uses some of the keys that don't work and I was able to log in using the MBP's keyboard.

Steve

Sent to the repair center, now I'm on my old MBP, it's so slooooowwww. But it works.

Cross fingers and hope it the bill is minimal. Wasn't charged anything upfront, Genius Bar guy said repair is free, but never know what might come up.

Steve

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Sent to the repair center, now I'm on my old MBP, it's so slooooowwww. But it works.

Cross fingers and hope it the bill is minimal. Wasn't charged anything upfront, Genius Bar guy said repair is free, but never know what might come up.

About a 5% chance if that of you being charged at this point.

When I get it back I think I’m going to tape  the keyboard skin to the laptop. Try and get a hard seal. 

Steve

At the st0re n0w, rep1aced the t0p case and the battery, n0 g00d

Steve

A-HA, keys work with a generic OS. Looks like it’s a software problem. Cross fingers. If it is, it works out. I got a new keyboard and battery for free. 

I should have tried booting into safe mode and trying the keys. Stupido. 

At least I’ve spent some time with my backup machine and know it’s still good. 

Steve

Success. It was software. I think maybe I upgraded 3 successive OSes. Normally I do a clean wipe but I got lazy. Or maybe it’s some confluence of settings. Whatever. I got a new keys, which have more rise than the old ones. Plus a new battery. I guess it was worth the trouble. 

Steve

• Administrator

I almost never clean install.

Almost never worth it.

I guess I was right about it not being that problem. Usually only one key or two.

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

I almost never clean install.

Almost never worth it.

I guess I was right about it not being that problem. Usually only one key or two.

That makes me feel better, the clean install. One less thing that could have been my fault.

Yeah, you were right. I dunno what happened. I guess either a glitch in the OS or I unwittingly did something weird. I'm typing with the new keys right now and it's a lot better, can type faster w/fewer mistakes, there is more rise. It makes a huge huge difference. I asked the Apple store what happens if keyboard issues in a year and they said I have to pay for it. What they did will be good for 90 day warranty. Guessing the new keys should be okay, I heard they're much more dependable, but my old keys didn't break so I must have been taking good care of the keyboard.

Lesson learned, get AppleCare, I've never had a serious problem with any of my Macs or iPhones before, but I was just lucky. Especially knowing about the keyboard issues, should have bought it.

I guess the battery replaced is the same in terms of wattage. Will have to charge it to full and see how much time it has. Kind of feel like I got a new machine.

Steve

• Administrator
1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

That makes me feel better, the clean install. One less thing that could have been my fault.

Yeah, you were right. I dunno what happened. I guess either a glitch in the OS or I unwittingly did something weird. I'm typing with the new keys right now and it's a lot better, can type faster w/fewer mistakes, there is more rise. It makes a huge huge difference. I asked the Apple store what happens if keyboard issues in a year and they said I have to pay for it. What they did will be good for 90 day warranty. Guessing the new keys should be okay, I heard they're much more dependable, but my old keys didn't break so I must have been taking good care of the keyboard.

Lesson learned, get AppleCare, I've never had a serious problem with any of my Macs or iPhones before, but I was just lucky. Especially knowing about the keyboard issues, should have bought it.

I guess the battery replaced is the same in terms of wattage. Will have to charge it to full and see how much time it has.

I’ve never bought it. I’m way ahead.

Note: This thread is 1854 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!