IGNORED

Time to Bid Farewell to a Few of My Clubs?

Note: This thread is 1882 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

As I come close to 2 years since I over came both physical limitations and decades of hiatus, I am ready to finish the creation of my gamer bag. I look towards the last adjustments to having consistency in terms of both club feel and results.  While I am not one who is brand loyal in most of my results. I love the way that Ping GMax gives me a comfortable feel I like and results that fit this senior with some physical limitations I must allow for. (Not planning on ever getting to the Senior Tour!)

I am going to "finish off" my irons first. Here is what I am thinking:

It has become clear to me I need to change 3 clubs: 5i, 6i and 8i.  All are older clubs carried over from some time ago.  The 5i and 6i are older Tour Edge, in fairly good condition.  The 8i is a heavy old Northwestern. While they fill in the gaps, the 5i and 8i rarely get used. The 5i I am inconsistent with almost always; the 8i gives very mixed results both off-turf and tee, even though I seem to hit the ball fairly well in the sweet spot with both according to tape. I have kept, and will keep the 8i, as it was the weapon employed when I got my only ace close to 45 years ago. Though now, the results are leaving it all over the course and no more valuable than a chipper, and less consistent.  

6i, when "on" gets the better results overall, but is not really a solid improvement over my hybrids, in terms of distance or accuracy.  My 5h is longer and truer by an average of 25 yards according to top tracker. None of the three have really wowed me in terms of ball speed.  They are 10-15 mph slower that other clubs. No significant cash value will be lost and they will be given to First Tee.

They are the last of my non-GMax irons, they are decades older blades with shafts are labeled "combo regular" (what ever that equates to). If nothing else, the feel of these clubs throws me off at impact.  

Quick questions for your thoughts 1: Should I even bother replacing the 5i? 2: Do I need the 8i to be replaced sooner than the 6i? (I am retired so budget counts hoping to find on used market.) 3: As my driver is a very serviceable, but older, Ping G5, should that be of more concern?

Last 6 rounds, I kept all 3 in the car, along with my Orange Whip® and alignment rods to get some weight out of the bag and keep number of clubs to 12.  Did not miss them at all!  My HC even dropped.  My pro coach as made some suggestions today, but I am interested in what TST people think.

I will keep you posted on decisions and results.

Edited by DrMJG

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Golf clubs are difficult to mix and match.  Different swing weights, total weights, shaft flex, and bend points, etc...can have you in constant search for the club you can hit TODAY.  Irons of the same make and model, regardless of how many you carry, would be a step in the right direction.  Another suggestion is to think about the shots (fluffs aside) that you typically encounter and what clubs you require.  All the long clubs are, basically, are tools we use to get to the shorter ones.  It doesn't matter what club you use to get from the tee to the 150 marker - or what club you use to get from the 150 marker to the green.  The only trick is avoiding using the same one twice in a row.  Think I'll end on that one.  Good luck and keep us posted.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 2

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

• iacas changed the title to Time to Bid Farewell to a Few of My Clubs?
2 hours ago, DrMJG said:

Should I even bother replacing the 5i? 2: Do I need the 8i to be replaced sooner than the 6i? 

Your question.

2 hours ago, DrMJG said:

Did not miss them at all!  My HC even dropped.  

Your answer.😀

• Thumbs Up 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

As I mused about doing yesterday, I removed my 5i, 6i, and 8i from arsenal of weapons and will concentrate now on using my remaining clubs.

BTW, my coach told the same, yesterday. Said only add when I show my game requires it.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

22 hours ago, Piz said:

Golf clubs are difficult to mix and match.  Different swing weights, total weights, shaft flex, and bend points, etc...

I totally agree with this. I had a set of Ping G5's and at some point I needed a gap wedge and bought a used Ping i3. Even though it covered a decent gap between the PW and Sand Wedge in distance at about 100 yards, the shots almost invariably ended up right of where I expected the ball to go. It was very frustrating. I now have Ping i e1's and the set included PW and UW. The 9i and both of those wedges feel the same in my hands and through the swing and they all generally go where I expect (unless a mishit).

23 hours ago, DrMJG said:

My pro coach as made some suggestions today, but I am interested in what TST people think.

I recommend getting a used set of the same manufacturer/model/shaft. There are a ton of used clubs out there at good prices on the internet. If you like the GMax Sr. Flex start there on ebay. Get 6i through UW (50.5*) and they even make a SW (56*). Then you have consistent feel, expectations and confidence. also look at the C3i or other game improvement sand wedge. What kind of Ping hybrids do you have and do you like them? I have G30 3h and 4h and relly like them. I bet you can find a deal on ebay. How do you like the GX-7? Is it as good as advertised?

I cannot emphasize how pleased I am with my driver fitting for the G30 I got a couple of years ago. It was reduced price as they were coming out with new models. It has transformed my driving. 

People get sticker shock, but if you add up how much you spend on greens fees, balls, shoes, etc. over a 5, 8, 10 year period it can dwarf the cost of a good set of new and/or used clubs. 

(edited)
11 minutes ago, Carl3 said:

I have G30 3h and 4h and relly like them. I bet you can find a deal on ebay. How do you like the GX-7? Is it as good as advertised?

My hybrids are Ping G30 3h ,4h, and 5h . I am very happy with them and am getting fairly adept with them. As to the irons, I am on the lookout for a few G Max clubs, not a full set. Not much available on eBay for single clubs.  Probably only a 6i and or 8i.  As I am a good shot with my hybrids, I doubt if I need to get a 4 or 5.  My Ping Glide 2.0 Wedges meet that area.  I probably will next focus on a new driver.  

I have tested the G410 plus and am currently in love with it, both waiting for it to be fully available and my income tax refund.

As to the GX-7, it proved to be a great club for me in getting back into the game after 2+ decades and a major foot surgery leaving me < 10 toes!  I get good loft and fairly solid distance.  I now use it in place of a 3w; I am happy with it.

Edited by DrMJG

Note: This thread is 1882 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!