IGNORED

1952 to 1972 MacGregor Forged Iron Sets

Nicklaus assisted in designing the VIP series irons. They first came out in 1969 and 1970. Those VIP's had a very slight step sole. The muscle back bulge where the VIP is etched in kind of ended just shy of the sole. Your VIP's have almost the same muscle back, but it ends at the sole and is part of the sole. In other words your club soles are slightly wider and are not stepped. My Kaplan Book only goes to 1970 for irons, but I am sure they are mid 1970's models, just prior to the same irons that came out in 1975 that had "by Nicklaus" etched in where the MacGregor is now.

If they have Tourney Micro Step shafts, which it looks like they do, I would peg the at coming out between 1971 - 1974.

38 minutes ago, GAA said:

Nicklaus assisted in designing the VIP series irons. They first came out in 1969 and 1970. Those VIP's had a very slight step sole. The muscle back bulge where the VIP is etched in kind of ended just shy of the sole. Your VIP's have almost the same muscle back, but it ends at the sole and is part of the sole. In other words your club soles are slightly wider and are not stepped. My Kaplan Book only goes to 1970 for irons, but I am sure they are mid 1970's models, just prior to the same irons that came out in 1975 that had "by Nicklaus" etched in where the MacGregor is now.

If they have Tourney Micro Step shafts, which it looks like they do, I would peg the at coming out between 1971 - 1974.

Thanks so much. I didn't get my Mac book in the mail yet but I just had to have these blades 

• 1 month later...

I got a set of MacGregor Tour Forged blades off Facebook marketplace. I have had zero luck when trying to find out approximately what year they were made. Any help would be greatly appreciated. 

IMG_9763.PNG

Edited by Jshaw
Adding picture

I recently found an old MacGregor MC registered 060 irons 2-9 and matching wood 1,3,4,5.  Appear to be in excellent shape for their age in my opinion.  Found them at a goodwill for $20.  Took them to the range and felt like butter, when hit correctly of course.  Can anyone tell me what year they were made and what flex the A flex tru-action shafts would be? Just got into playing vintage clubs and couldn’t leave these jewels sitting on the rack.  They Any information would be greatly appreciated.

AE8CEA84-F586-4F1F-955E-9841DE0805A7.jpeg

456DC003-0F2C-4FEF-8CF8-8C36662E8476.jpeg

Edited by Jb33
Added pictures

These MC irons first came out in 1969. Original List price 2 iron . 9 iron were $182.00.

Thanks for the info on the clubs.  I plan on putting some new grips, since the old ones have let loose from the tape, and enjoy them out on the course.  Thanks again GAA!

On 2/20/2021 at 10:55 AM, DCBBrentar said:

Can you help me identify this iron? Found 5 and 7 at a thrift store the other day. Shafts are Macgregor Propel 2 which would mean firm, between stiff and regular, right? Thanks for your help.

2FDE345E-7412-4914-A336-51A22333DB9A.jpeg

I have a set of these I bought before I knew much about clubs. They are a low end model from the early 80s. They hit pretty good though and seemed a bit more forgiving then some the of pro model blades. Had a great day on  short 5300 yard course with them one day.

WITB:

:ping: G25 8.5 with Hazardous black stiff shaft. Anser 3W 15 degree

:mizuno: MP-14 3-9. 51* Mizuno, :cleveland:54* Cleveland RAW ,60*  588 :odyssey: #2 Stricker special

On 3/13/2019 at 2:46 PM, GAA said:

I happen to know more than I should about MacGregor forged irons of the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's.

I probably own 18 sets of these vintage beauties.

If you have questions about this era of golf,  I may be able to help get some answers.

I have studied and still use as a reference the Jim Kaplan MacGregor and Wilson golf history catalogs.

I have acquired a set of Mac Gregor colokrom tourney irons m-55 but I cannot seem to find them anywhere online..do u know anything about them?

I have a set of macgregor colokrom tourney M-55 irons and I can’t find anything about them online does anybody know about them?A325B619-DE33-446D-A2E5-B3E5D310EC4F.thumb.jpeg.26bad8c4610a93cfe6a4ae6ca93677e3.jpeg

12 hours ago, Andrew minyard said:

I have acquired a set of Mac Gregor colokrom tourney irons m-55 but I cannot seem to find them anywhere online..do u know anything about them?

I have a set of macgregor colokrom tourney M-55 irons and I can’t find anything about them online does anybody know about them?A325B619-DE33-446D-A2E5-B3E5D310EC4F.thumb.jpeg.26bad8c4610a93cfe6a4ae6ca93677e3.jpeg

These look like 1957 MT Tourney Colokrom M55. The M85/M75/M65/M55's  (Wingbacks) came out in 1951. The Tony Penna influenced Colorkrom bronze faces came out in late 1956 & 1957 on all of the number series and on some Louis Suggs and Tommy Armour labeled iron sets and wedges.

The different numbers behind the M's were pretty much to indicate shaft and grip info.

The M55's in the 1950's usually indicated a 1 inch shorter shaft The 1957 Colokrom M55 were 1 inch shorter than M85's, M75's and M65's (37" vs. 38"). The M55's should have come originally with red, blue and white calf skin leather grips. Usually these sets were for women or juniors and may have softer shafts.

All of the Wingbacks had pretty much the same heads. No. after the M indicating different grips and shafts.

Hope this helps. FYI the M55's are pretty rare compared to the M85, 75 & 65's. Because these were MacGregors Pro Line and probably women (or their husbands) chose cheaper models.

The M series Colokroms retailed in the low $200.00 range which is probably like buying forged Callaway Apex Blades today ... north of $1,200.00

• 1 month later...
On 4/19/2021 at 8:43 PM, Dpmoney25 said:

I found a whole set, but I can't find the year. 

20210419_202155.jpg

On 4/19/2021 at 8:43 PM, Dpmoney25 said:

I found a whole set, but I can't find the year. 

20210419_202155.jpg

these should be from 1968 according to Jim Kaplin's book.

15 hours ago, Mark Grapsy said:

I have a set of Muirfield 20s.  They are shorter than standard length and I’m 6’1”.  What are good shafts to get them reshafted with?  R flex.  Thanks!

I like the balance and feel of the True Temper Dynamic Gold R300's in these older forged blades. Make sure of the diameter and if they have a tapered tip. Dynamic Golds come in almost any size a tapered tips.

15 hours ago, Mark Grapsy said:

I have a set of Muirfield 20s.  They are shorter than standard length and I’m 6’1”.  What are good shafts to get them reshafted with?  R flex.  Thanks!

I like the balance and feel of the True Temper Dynamic Gold R300's in these older forged blades. Make sure of the diameter and if they have a tapered tip. Dynamic Golds come in almost any size a tapered tips.