IGNORED

1952 to 1972 MacGregor Forged Iron Sets

Not sure, but I couldn't find a thread addressing vintage (40s,50s,60s,70s) Macgregor clubs. I've heard there is a book/catalog out there showing the clubs thru the years??? Hoping someone can help me out.

I acquired a set of Macgregor M75 Tourney irons and MT Tourney woods that have LTWA stamped on the bottoms. Is there a source for the codes to determine what year and other info?

Thanks

• 3 months later...

Colokroms? Very cool!

I don't have a reference for you, been looking for one for years myself, just had to comment on those clubs. Always been partial to the copper faces. Can you tell from my avatar? :-)

Steve

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I played the MacGregor MT (1972) "flatsole" irons from 1974 to 1994. Stiff shafts.

The clubfitter for my replacement set said I should keep the MT irons for historic purposes. I'm glad I did. Young players today like challenge of trying to hit the MT's  2 iron.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

• 4 months later...

These aren't the Colokroms although I have recently bought a set of Tommy Armour 945 Colokroms. I believe they are late 50's clubs. Matched them up with some Oil Hardened Tommy woods and a Ironmaster IMG putter. Get some strange looks at the range hitting those persimmons,

These aren't the Colokroms although I have recently bought a set of Tommy Armour 945 Colokroms. I believe they are late 50's clubs. Matched them up with some Oil Hardened Tommy woods and a Ironmaster IMG putter. Get some strange looks at the range hitting those persimmons,

Aren't you concerned you might bust up the woods hitting rocky range balls? As I recall from the old days I was told that hitting surlyn/solid balls with woods would destroy the inserts, or the faces if there was no insert. And old clubs could be really brittle by now, esp in the necks. Nothing worse than a neck crack, I fought one of those in my favorite driver for years. Never know when one day you hit it for the last time.

I also busted 2 PGA Tommy Armour fairway woods back in the 70's by hitting them a little in the heels. They got replaced but it wasn't the same, and not as if MacGregor will replace yours now.

Just be real careful with old woods and newer balls. I still have my old woods in the closet (PGA Tommy Armours from the late 70's and a set of Golfcraft Dick Mayers from the 50's) but I'd be too scared to actually hit balls with them ever again. When balata went away, those guys went in the closet---

Steve

Yes, I've heard that the hard range balls may be bad for the older persimmons and maples. I've asked around and heard different views. I don't hit em that much, just a few times to get that nice low rising trajectory that todays clubs can't provide. I bring em with the old blades and hit the blades mostly. I haven't noticed the inserts getting nicked or dented, but I think you're right it's not worth messing up a nice piece of wood. I've also got a 'not so nice' set of Mac keyhole woods that I picked up cheap so maybe I will just hit those to get my fix. If they crack it wouldn't be a big loss.

I play a laminated maple 4 wood (Ram Investor II) that has been in my bag for 20 years-and in my grandfathers bag for probably about 20 years before that-and I have had no issues with modern balls (range balls or otherwise).

The Titleist DT Solo and the Wilson Staff Duo work quite well with wooden clubs, if the club is in decent playable condition. I don't hit range rocks or Pinnacles with mine, but have hit the Bridgestone B330 RXS (supposedly designed for slower swing speeds). I would probably be hesitant to hit a truly collectible club, but there aren't many that fall into that category. Many of the Macs from the 60's and early 70's are less than $100, and the remakes from the late 70's  and 80's are often less than $50 unless absolutely mint. If you want new persimmon, Louisville Golf still makes them.

If you have a super high swing speed, any ball can be a problem. Jack Nicklaus broke a lot of face inserts and his primary driver used through about '86 was repaired many times, and this using balata.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

Now, if the club has cracks, a loose insert, the wood is proud around the insert, loose whipping, or the finish is gone, I wouldn't hit it with any ball unless I didn't care about it. Clubs that are played need the poly or varnish refreshed occasionally. Mine are waxed after every round. Moisture is a greater enemy than golf balls.

The driver in my sig is persimmon; the fairways are laminated maple. Weather permitting, they are going out for 9 this afternoon.

Don

In the bag:

Driver: PING 410 Plus 9 degrees, Alta CB55 S  Fairway: Callaway Rogue 3W PX Even Flow Blue 6.0; Hybrid: Titleist 818H1 21* PX Even Flow Blue 6.0;  Irons: Titleist 718 AP1 5-W2(53*) Shafts- TT AMT Red S300 ; Wedges Vokey SM8 56-10D Putter: Scotty Cameron 2016 Newport 2.5  Ball: Titleist AVX or 2021 ProV1

• 2 years later...

Hello. Just past  70 years,playing Mizuno MP 57 Irons with UST 660 F3 shafts. Well I got frustrated so honey pie un boxes 1985 Mac Gregor M85 copper faced irons of old and guess what, i started playing good. anybody have this expierance??

• 11 months later...

I happen to know more than I should about MacGregor forged irons of the 1950's, 1960's and 1970's.

I probably own 18 sets of these vintage beauties.

If you have questions about this era of golf,  I may be able to help get some answers.

I have studied and still use as a reference the Jim Kaplan MacGregor and Wilson golf history catalogs.

• Like 2

My first set of irons, hand me downs from my dad, were VIP’s.  Probably late 50’s...

Fond memories.

In Racine, Wisconsin back then!  :beer:

Edited by David in FL

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

I believe that the first VIP's come on to the market was in about 1968 after Jack Nicklaus was signed by MacGregor and had a few wins under his belt.

Dayton Ohio sure does have history and not only with MacGregor.

I have a few pre-1920's hickory shafted Dayton Ohio stamped clubs.

Hickory shafts for nearly all of the club manufactures back in that era got there shafts from a MacGregor curing barn in Dayton.

• Upvote 1

Those M75's are real classics. 

I have a few sets on M85's. One copper faced Colokroms and one set of Rec. M85's. I live the wing back look.

About the only difference was the M75's probably came original with T. T. V Chrome shafts and the M85's

with T. T. Tourney shafts. Heads are the same. 

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

2i > PW iron set: 1950-54 MacGregor Tourney - REC. M85 forged w/ T. T. Tourney regular flex shafts,

Pro Only Crown Cord grips. Pat. #163961. SN# M2217.

2i > 9i iron set: 1956-57 MacGregor Colokrom - Tourney M85, forged blades with copper faces T. T. Tourney 

regular flex shafts. Pat. 163961. SN# 5B094R