IGNORED

New here, clubs and swing advice

daled
Note: This thread is 1862 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi, I'm new here. Not sure if this is the right forum, but I'll give it a go.

I'm 61, a hacker, probably about a 24 handicap, (I'm a 12 in our 9 hole league). I'm constantly "fixing" my swing as I continue to learn. I'm kind of excited because I think I finally understand a couple of things that I've put into my swing. First, grip pressure. I finally understand why light grip is good, and how moving my right index finger slightly can allow me to grip lighter and snap more through the ball. All well and good, but at the range, I find that I now have a tendency to push hook the ball. Not always, but more often than I want. Any words of wisdom on controlling the push hook?D

Secondly, my irons are Calloway Xhot2 purchased from Dicks about 6 years ago. Would new irons matter? Or should I just go with regripping my current clubs. Is there a benefit to oversided grips? If I go with regrip, it looks like Winn Dritac is the way to go? I'm in Ohio, so it's cool and wet, or hot and humid, very seldom anything between.

If new irons would matter, I know I need game improvement, but not sure what is the best bang for the buck. 

As far as me... I'm old, but not yet decrepit. I can drive the ball about 230 carry with a Calloway XR driver. I hit the 7 iron about 150, but at the range with my "new" swing I was going more like 160. The new swing gives me a push with the iron, but no hook. The hook happens with my driver.

Thanks in advance

Dale

Whewww....  Where to start?

First and foremost, welcome to TST.   You've definitely found the right place.    Where are you located?    

You'll get the most benefit and advise from some very knowledgeable people if you start a member's swing thread.   Read the How to get good video of your swing and how to upload it to Youtube and present it on your personal swing thread.   

You'll find a wealth of great information here:  Instructional content

You can find information about different clubs, grips etc.  here:  Clubs-Grips-Shafts-fitting

Enjoy the forum!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Agree with @dennyjones. We gotta see your swing before any realistic advice can be given. New irons? You could certainly go and try some out but it’s not going to be a wow moment as far as your ball striking goes. Now if you just enjoy shiny new irons and want to get that ‘new club adrenaline’ then have at it! I think what grip size you choose is really just personal comfort. I don’t buy all that ‘larger causes a slice tendency and smaller a hook’ stuff. If you have arthritis in your hands larger, softer grips may feel better but again it’s really whatever feels best to you. 

Here’s some great reading. You’ll get tons of top notch golf instruction here. Enjoy and welcome to TST.

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks. I'm in Ohio so it will be a while before I can make a swing video.

We had our league meeting and talking to some of the guys I think I'm going to go for the shiny new clubs for several reasons. This will be my last set of steel shafted clubs, I'm 61 and slowing down. My old clubs are decent, but they are Dick's special Callaway Xhots, and the new clubs are just better. I play at least 18 holes a week and hit the range at least once a week, so they are worn, and yeah, new sticks are fun.

I do have questions about new sticks, but I'll start a new thread for that.

Note: This thread is 1862 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!