IGNORED

Ball below feet and downhill lie (steepish)

Note: This thread is 5855 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How do you handle this lie?

I thought I got rid of my shanks, until I got this rather extreme lie. I can kind of handle downhill or ball below the feet lies. I actually tend to pull and or hook the ball when it's below my feet, which is weird.

Anyways, I've virtually eliminated bad shanks by focusing on closing the clubface and keeping the swing plane from going outside that imaginary glass pane.

I think on this lie, for some reason, I unwittingly take the club way outside. I'd practice this, but how the heck do you find a lie like this on a range to practice?

On an unrelated note, it's really cool seeing the ball flight off a downhill lie.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There was a reachable par 5 where I used to play, but a severe right to left downhill slope right in the hitting area where my driver would usually land. I dont quite have the mustard to get it over, (280 carry at least) so I laid up just to aviod that lie and played it for the green in three. Downhill lies are hardest shot in the game for me- I have no awnser for them...
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

How do you handle this lie?

Downhill AND below feet? Tough stuff. First thing I'd do is take a short swing to simply ensure good contact. Aim left and just concentrate on making a very smooth swing and throwing hands at target. Make sure you get a decent little turn on the ball rather than picking the club up. Easier said than done of course. The downhill lie definately bothers me. I think Justin Rose would agree judging by his play on #15 Saturday.

In my bag:

Driver: SQ 9.5, Graphite Stiff Shaft
3 Wood: Diablo 13 degree, Stiff Shaft
2 Hybrid: SQ 18 degree, Steel Stiff ShaftIrons: MP-30, 3-PWSW: 56* Vokey Copper spin-milledFW 52* VokeyFlat Stick Zing 2Ball: Pro V1x

I fight this every day at my course because it's on a mountain.

I would second what everybody else has said plus -

- I take a less lofted club to get the ball up in the air.

- I have to make sure that my shoulder plane at setup follows the slope of the hill otherwise I hit fat/thin.

- I use a 3/4 swing for more control because distance is the furthest thing from my mind.

right tm22721, tilt the shoulders along the slope and club up. instead of clubbing up, i usually just bend the knees a little more, and that works for me too.
Sticks
driver- X460 tour 9.5 Aldila NVS 75
irons- X-forged 3-PW TT BlackGold stiff
wedges- x-tour vintage 52, 56, 60
hybrid- FT-hybrid #2 17* putter- Sophia 33" "If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough."_Mario Andretti

In one of David Leadbetter's videos he has an explanation on how to hit this shot. I was faced with the same shot at a course over the weekend and am looking everywhere for the tape to figure out how to take this shot. I used to know but of course once I was given the opportunity for the shot I couldn't remember how.

In my Vector bag:
9* Hyper X stiff
Coming soon 13* or 15* 906F2
18* 906F2 Stiff Proforce V2-85
3-PW r7 TP steel stiff flex 2* upright52* Vokey Wedge56*08, 60*04 Vokey Spin Milled wedges Rossa Classic Series AGSI+ Daytona 1 Putter Ball: One+Platinum

Note: This thread is 5855 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!