IGNORED

Master "Forged vs. Cast" or "Blade vs. Game-Improvement" Iron Thread

muskegman
Note: This thread is 1404 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When your choosing between a players CB and a good MB you shouldn't notice a significant difference. Those Adam's MB are gorgeous and those ARC blades look incredable as well.

I'm looking for either a nice small CB or a blade, if it fits. Anyone know which come in a lefty's model? (interested in those adams, or nickents)

I have been playing Titleist DCI 962 forged irons which are blades since I starting playing golf about a year ago. When I started with them, my handicap was 15+ and I was not a good ball striker. However, I am now a 4.3 handicap golfer and I am on a D1 golf team. I can honestly say that I am glad I learned using blades as opposed to cavity back (game improvement) irons because it taught me consistency and ball striking. I had to learn how to hit them correctly, and that made me a better golfer alone. If I were you, considering you have said that you've gotten better, I would purchase blades. They won't hurt you at all, and if anything, they make you hit the ball well. Don't be afraid of them, the rumors aren't true..

I have been playing Titleist DCI 962 forged irons which are blades since I starting playing golf about a year ago. When I started with them, my handicap was 15+ and I was not a good ball striker. However, I am now a 4.3 handicap golfer and I am on a D1 golf team. I can honestly say that I am glad I learned using blades as opposed to cavity back (game improvement) irons because it taught me consistency and ball striking. I had to learn how to hit them correctly, and that made me a better golfer alone. If I were you, considering you have said that you've gotten better, I would purchase blades. They won't hurt you at all, and if anything, they make you hit the ball well. Don't be afraid of them, the rumors aren't true..

the DCI 962's are not forged. they also arent blades. they are considered a players cavity back iron. i played them for 9 straight years. look at the photo, they are cavity backs. not blades

I have to call BS on this. 4.3 ghin and on a D1 golf team? I am not saying that isn't good, but not college golf good. Maybe I am wrong but that doesn't seem to add up.

Brian

I have to call BS on this. 4.3 ghin and on a D1 golf team? I am not saying that isn't good, but not college golf good. Maybe I am wrong but that doesn't seem to add up.

its also funny how he says the DCI 962's are forged blades... hmm

Yeah as said previously combo set is the best way to go.

Or somthing like mizuno mp 52, 57's "blade like" with forgivness.

Personally I'm going to go with a set of MP 52's and eventually work in some MP 67's (8-PW, maybe even a 7)

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

its also funny how he says the DCI 962's are forged blades... hmm

I think the poster had to be kidding. To start playing golf with with a 15 handicap seems a bit off to me.

Then, To go from a 15 handicap to a 4.3 in a year wold take a lot of time and dedication, if possible at all. Then you add in that the poster is saying he is playing blades when he s playing CB and I get the impression this post was a joke.

I think the poster had to be kidding. To start playing golf with with a 15 handicap seems a bit off to me.

yeah, either that or just another forum poster talking out of his a$$

i wish i could hit blades but i just cant seem to do it consistently. i am really looking for something now that looks like a blade but has some forgiveness.

i am going to start a thread on it so please give me some input!!!

thx

Found this on Golf Digest.

It seems to add to the hysteria and mystery behind regular guys using blades. I think I am going to opt for small cavity backs when I upgrade early next year as long as my game continues to improve.

Ben Hogan is my swing coach.

Driver: Burner TP
3 & 5 Woods: No-name
3H:No-name4i-PW: MP-32...unapologetically...You should try blades, too56*: CG12Putter: Spider

This article was quoted a couple times in this thread. You anti blade guys need to find some more material instead of using the same stuff over and over ;)

This article is BS IMO. The author does not take into account what the golfer WANTS to play. Also, I don't buy into the "Only the top 1% of 1% can play blades" theory. From all the information I have read; The only DESIRED requirement for blades is that you strike the ball fairly well and consistently. If you get on the green with an eagle or birdie putt and 3 putt every time then which iron you play has nothing to do with your double digit handicap.

Last week on Wednesday I followed Jack and Tiger at the Memorial skins game. We all know Tiger was ballstriking with his older Nike forged blades not VR ones, BUT interestingly Jack Nicklaus was also hitting Forged blades just like Tiger (not Nike of course, but they too were very classic muscleback forged blades)

How old is Jack again? He hit it good too.

Thanks... $700 on lesons will serve me better then buying more GI clubs. Good news was I was striking the ball dead center 6 out of 10 swings. I don't know why I wasn't getting the ball up high enough. My club head speed was in the 82 - 85 range consistantly. Another good thing that came out of hitting the blades is I am no longer "afraid" of them. I thought I was striking them fairly well given my skill level. They are deffinantly on my list of things to buy at the begining of next season

If you're going to go the blade route, I'd suggest considering getting a used set off of somewhere like ebay. You can get some great deals on very good irons and you don't need to worry about having them be perfect fits since you can get them bent to your specs at almost any local golf shop.

Then if you really like them, pony up some bigger bucks on a brand new set.
Driver: Nakashima HTEC 440cc 10.5* w/ Mitsubishi Fubuki X73
3 Wood: 909F3 15* w/Fujikura Pro-95 X-Stiff
Hybrid: Nakashima 2 iron 19* w/ KBS Tour shaft 6.5
Irons 3-PW: 690.MB w/ KBS Tour Shafts 6.5
Wedges: Black Nickel Spin Milled 56.11* & 60.04* w/ KBS Tour Black Nickel Wedge ShaftsPutter: Pro...

Try a set of used blades first. Give yourself time to adjust to them. To me, there's a big difference in the swing and feel of a blade vs. a big bertha. Focus on accuracy and not distance.
But either way, play what makes the game more fun for you.

If you're going to go the blade route, I'd suggest considering getting a used set off of somewhere like ebay. You can get some great deals on very good irons and you don't need to worry about having them be perfect fits since you can get them bent to your specs at almost any local golf shop.

+1 on this. The first set I bought was some sweet used MP33's with X100 shafts off eBay. Best golf purchase I ever made, and I still use them sometimes. If I didn't like my Project X shafts so much I would probably use them every time.

Lately, my X20 Tours feel like junk and I wish I had something forged again. Maybe some AP2's or MP57's...
Scott T

G5 9° V2 75 X / 909F2 15.5° V2 85 X / 909H 19° V2 100 X / MP-33 #3-PW X100 / X-Forged Chrome 54.15 60.10 X100 / FGP Black 34" / Penta TP

Handicap is a guess because I haven't established one yet.Best score so far is a 71 on a 6,509 yard 70.3/121 par 72 muni, during a glorious...

Is your logic wrong? Yes, I believe it is. My problem with logic is that I think you put way too much emphasis on the club being the solution. I honestly think that even its true that today's blades are much easier to hit and you should be able to them that most of us would be much better off sticking to cavity back irons. I think you're gonna find that if you switch to blades 1 of 2 things will happen.

You must have a terrible pro that you go to to believe that crap.

A quote from Kris
...is that college bball really isn't "lower tier". The better teams have their rosters filled with guys who could play in the NBA. hell, guys used to come straight from high school to the NBA. I really don't think there's much of a difference skill-wise between the two.

blades are easier to hit than they once were because of one reason... the hosels are shorter... they have taken some of the weight out of the hosel and put it more in the bottom of the club... so the center of gravity is lower... I've played blades for the last 5 years as soon as I became a 2 handicapper...

but for a 15 handicapper to play blades you must be a decent ball striker... I would recommend a forged cavity back if you really think you "need" blades... you still get the feel...

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 1404 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!