IGNORED

New To Golf, What should I use

Note: This thread is 5743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am sure this will stir up a lot of difference of opinion, but I just recently got into golf. I am looking to buy clubs, I dont want the cheap set from Kmart(not knocking Kmart.) What I am looking for is a set that I can grow in to and develop but dont have to replace in a couple of years. I know everyone says to start with preowned, but I jut have this quirk(I need to be the original owner......Yeah I know its stupid.) Money is not the issue so much as long as they are a valuable investment. Thanks for All Feedback thats about to come my way

I would buy a cheaper set from someplace like Golf Galaxy and start taking lessons. After you have some semblence of a swing, take those clubs back to Golf Galaxy and trade them towards a fitted set of something appropriate for your size/swing.

That's what I did (though not with GG) and it worked out well for me.

In my bag:

Driver: 907d2
Fairway: R7 ti 5-Wood
Hybrids: 909H 21 Rescue 4Irons: KZG Forged Evolution 5 - PW w/Rifle 6.0 shaftWedges: 52 Rac & Vokey 58Putter: Studio Select 2Ball: Titleist ProV1xEyes: SG5

Two things that I know for sure: 1) The best way to kill someone's desire to play golf is to steer them toward buying old hand-me-down clubs at a yard-sale. 2) The best way to stop a kid from wanting to play guitar is buying them an acoustic with strings so high you can fly an airplane under them!

There are so many routes you can go to get clubs. You can buy brand new, latest technology, but you'll spend an awful lot. You can buy used, couple year(s) old stuff from a local shop that takes trades. You can buy used from ebay or like you said, you can buy a full set of budget clubs from a Sam's Club or a Dick's Sporting Goods store for around $200.

As I read back through the last paragraph I typed, buying a full set from a Dick's, Sports Authority or another chain store probably isn't a bad idea. Maybe after Labor Day, they'll be discounted quite heavily as well.

The sets aren't brand new Callaway or Titleist, but they should have enough to get you going. And you won't spend a thousand ... maybe a couple hundred.

My wife is in her 2nd full season. I bought her a complete rig (clubs/bag/etc) from Adams. Since then, I've bought her a hybrid because her set came with fairway woods rather than hybrids. In a typical round, she uses the driver, hybrid, sand wedge and putter for 90% of her strokes.

The point here is that you couldn't buy those 4 clubs for the price you can get a complete (and decent) starter set. The complete set is what I'd recommend. At least they are NEW and not 20 year old cast-offs.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am sure this will stir up a lot of difference of opinion, but I just recently got into golf. I am looking to buy clubs, I dont want the cheap set from Kmart(not knocking Kmart.) What I am looking for is a set that I can grow in to and develop but dont have to replace in a couple of years. I know everyone says to start with preowned, but I jut have this quirk(I need to be the original owner......Yeah I know its stupid.) Money is not the issue so much as long as they are a valuable investment. Thanks for All Feedback thats about to come my way

I'm also relatively new to golf, and need to work on my game.

My first set of golf clubs was from Costco... $249.99 for a set of irons, plus 2 woods, a putter, and a driver. That got me started to learn the basics of the game, but after a few years, I started seeing what I liked and didn't like about those clubs. You'll eventually learn things like your swing speed, your individual swing style, whether you are a player that wishes that he had more wedges or more woods, and what kind of putter you like (blade or mallet). Nice way to get started without spending a fortune. After that, I moved on to a set of nicer clubs with a shaft and "forgiveness" that matched my progression. I switched the putter to a mallet (which I prefer), got a few hybrids, and added several wedges to my bag. I bought entirely from Pinemeadowgolf.com, which has incredible deals on cloned golf clubs (different than "fake" or "knock-off" golf clubs). I bought my set of irons new, but bought my wedges, putter, and woods used. I spent a total of $300 for a set of new clubs that match my skill level. After I get good enough to outgrow that set of clubs, then I might consider dropping the $1000+ on a set of "real" golf clubs. But I can definitely say from personal experience through the 2 sets of clubs that I have owned that you do not need to spend several hundreds of dollars on equipment to enjoy the game.

I know it is all relative to what people say. And this is just my opinion, but I think you might want to talk to a local pro or to someone int he golf store.

You say you are new to golf, does that mean that you have never picked up a club or have you hit some and want a set of your own now.

If you have actually hit some before and like to hit and think that you are willing to really start practicing, then I would talk to someone in the local store. They will match you with something in your skill level and what you might want. Then you might want to think about a set of clubs that will get you better. Maybe something a little harder to hit and will make you better. The first set of clubs that I ever had and learned to play on was a set of true blades. They are really hard to hit, but they taught me really quickly how I needed to hit the ball to not get my hands beat up really badly.

Just personal preference though. Adams golf has some good sets to learn on that are not the badly priced.

Joey R

In the Bag:

905T w/Aldila NV 75x 904F w/Dynamic Gold x100 MP-32 w/Project X 6.5 Vokey 52.08 BeCu 56 MP-R 60 Studio Stainless Newport 2 ProV1, ProV1x, or NXT Tour

Lots of usefull information from everyone. Does Graphite/Steel matter when starting off?

If you're young and have no chronic muscular ailments, the steel is fine.

However, I like graphite. It has worked well for me.

STR8 Dymo 10.5
Dymo 3W
Mid Rescue 3
MP-33 4-PW
Eidolon 52* GW LW, SW Titleist Bullseye Putter

Note: This thread is 5743 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!