IGNORED

Call it a comeback, I ain't played in years!

Prairie Golfer
Note: This thread is 5477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

About fifteen to be exact.

I've always kept up with the pro tours and still read books on golf history and architecture, but I haven't played much since high school and not at all in the last fifteen years. I haven't had the time and didn't want/ need to spend the money. This year I will make the time and try to spend some money (public golf in Central IL is cheap ) and return to the game I had played so much as a kid.

I pulled out the old golf bag a few days ago and found 3 woods, a 2,3 and 5 all still made of wood. The irons were McGregor something with a pro staff sand wedge I've had since the mid 1980s. None of the irons were rusted, but the grooves weren't exactly "groovy." I have putted around the house a few times over the years so my Bullseye putter may be the one club that makes it into the new bag. There will be a new bag since this old one seems to have lost its strap at some point. Even my tees are obsolete.

So far, I've got the following covered...

1. new copy of the Rules of Golf
2. putter
3. ball mark repairer
4. ball marker

Now I just need to buy a few clubs, hit a few hundred practice balls, play a few rounds (the course has added a new set of tees while I was gone) and I'll be back to a fast playing even bogey hacker in no time.

in the bag...

Driver: MX560
3W/5W: Tight Lies
3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

Sounds like a pretty good plan.

Since you've last purchased clubs, Al Gore invented the Internet. It's a whole new way of shopping, You should check it out!

My buddy putts lights out with his Bullseye putter. Some things are just plain classics!

Enjoy your new (or is it old?) addiction!

Call it a comeback, I ain't played in years

Is that a veiled LL Cool J reference? Man, you

have been out of the game for a while!

driver: FT-i tlcg 9.5˚ (Matrix Ozik XCONN Stiff)
4 wood: G10 (ProLaunch Red FW stiff)
3 -PW: :Titleist: 695 mb (Rifle flighted 6.0)
wedges:, 52˚, 56˚, 60˚
putter: Studio Select Newport 1.5

Sounds like a pretty good plan. Since you've last purchased clubs, Al Gore invented the Internet. It's a whole new way of shopping, You should check it out! My buddy putts lights out with his Bullseye putter. Some things are just plain classics! Enjoy your new (or is it old?) addiction!

At this point, golf clubs are one of the few things I haven't bought on the internet. I think the brick & motor shops have the edge though, I can't hold and swing a club on the internet. And thank you, I'll try to enjoy the return.

in the bag...

3i-pw: Pi-7gw/sw: Tom Watsonputter: Bulls Eye bag: Ozoneball: / home: Lake of the Woods @ www.golfthelake.com

Is that a veiled LL Cool J reference? Man, you

Yep, and most likely the last rap reference I use. I'm more of an old school Motown fan.

in the bag...

I've also recently come back to the game after not playing for several years. I realize how much I missed it.

Driver: HiBore
Fairway Woods: Prostaff FS #3 Great Big Bertha II #7
Irons: Staff Di7 Irons 4-GW
Wedges: CG10 54* CG12 60*
Putter: Black MaxBall: Trispeed

Welcome back, I had a similar situation. I played as a kid and in high school but once going to college, getting married and having kids I got away from it. Some friends at work played and got me started playing again.

Best part, after a little practice I was a better golfer then when I was younger!

Oh yea, thank you Al Gore for the internet.......

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

Welcome back... sounds a lot like my first bag and clubs right down to the Bulls Eye putter, and Wilson Staff blades.

... a lot has changed

Cheers, Allan

In my Ping Hoofer II bag: Titleist 975J | Callaway Big Bertha 3 Wood S2H2 | Mizuno Fli-Hi 18˚ Hybrid | Mizuno MP-33 3-PW | Cleveland Tour Action 900 54/60 | Ping Anser II BeCu | Titleist ProV1

My Playground: Northview G&CC

• 2 weeks later...
Hey man, dont sweat it, I'm in the same boat as you are. I'm just getting back into it as well, after not playing for around 8 years. It seems like I've heard of a lot of people doing the same lately. Luckily I have some good friends that are a huge help to me in getting a few little things in my swing corrected.

Good luck!

Follow me on Twitter - TST_Justin
 -  -  - 

This Week's Bag Drop - Miura Passing Point 9003 Forged Irons and Adams Idea Pro a12 Irons and Hybrids  - Sweet new forged cavity backs from Miura (do they make any irons that arent simply beautiful?) and irons/hybrids from Adams created with...

I've also recently come back to the game after not playing for several years. I realize how much I missed it.

Ditto that.

Glad to hear stories like yours. Hit 'em good. You're gonna be amazed at the balls, tees and other new developments. I wan't even begin to mention clubs....it's crazy. Have fun!!!!
909D Comp 9.5* (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-6)
Burner Superfast 3 & 5 woods (house MATRIX OZIK XCON-4.8)
G15 Hybrid 23* (AWT shaft)
G5 5 iron-PW-46*, UW-50*, SW-54 & LW-58 (AWT shaft)
Studio Select Newport 2 Mid SlantGrips: PING cords & Golf Pride New Decade Multi-Coumpound Bag: C-130...

• 4 weeks later...
I'm another one in the same boat, I have played only a handful of rounds a year since high school until last year when I ramped it up a little. This year I plan to get back into it and have some fun, the game has changed a good deal and I have to adjust to keep up. Back when I played in high school the shafts were either graphite or steel, these "kick points", "tourque ratings", and other ball flight characteristics leave boggled my mind.

In my sack:

Driver: VR STR-8 Fit Tour 10.5 VooDoo stiff
3 wood: 909F2 13.5* stiff Diamana
Hybrid: Rescue 19* stiff3-6: MP 52 S3007-PW: MP 62 S300Wedges: 54-12, 58-8Putter: Newport 2 TeI3

I really want to know how you score for the 1st year back?? Put some new grips on the old irons and loosen up the grease before sinking money into a new set. You may need to change shaft flex. You may also notice a loss in distance as well, but the new generation of drivers will help out, as well as hybrids.

the short game equalizes everything
FT-5 Draw 10.5
NVG woods 3,5,7,9
Orlimar 4hy
Wilson DI-5 Irons 6-pwTurner wedge 51* bent to 53*TM TP 54* SW bent to 57*Wilson Kirk Currie #2 Mid MalletLaddie X

Welcome back... sounds a lot like my first bag and clubs right down to the Bulls Eye putter, and Wilson Staff blades.

Bulls Eye putter and Wilson Staff blades you say...

in the bag...

Hadnt golfed in 6 years, then all of a sudden I got bitten by the bug..

For $300 that putter ought to carry my clubs for me too.

I'm another one in the same boat, I have played only a handful of rounds a year since high school until last year when I ramped it up a little. This year I plan to get back into it and have some fun, the game has changed a good deal and I have to adjust to keep up. Back when I played in high school the shafts were either graphite or steel, these "kick points", "tourque ratings", and other ball flight characteristics leave boggled my mind.

When I was in high school the woods were still mostly made of wood.

My heel hits with the new driver are going much MUCH farther. One of these days I'll hit it in the center and see where the ball goes.
I really want to know how you score for the 1st year back?? Put some new grips on the old irons and loosen up the grease before sinking money into a new set. You may need to change shaft flex. You may also notice a loss in distance as well, but the new generation of drivers will help out, as well as hybrids.

The old irons were not in good shape and the 8 iron was missing, so new clubs it was. Shafts are regular flex and I'm hitting it as far as ever. The new driver has been a big help in avoiding drives under 100 yards.

I peaked as a 15 handicap back in the day and so far here are the scores I've posted to date. 9 holes: 54, 46, 47, 46 18 holes: 97 and 93 You can read all the gory details in the "what did you shoot today?" thread. Mine are the longwinded posts. I'm already back to near bogey golf and I'm happy.

in the bag...

Note: This thread is 5477 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!