IGNORED

Jack vs. Tiger: Who's the Greatest Golfer?

sungho_kr

Greatest Golfer (GOAT)  

218 members have voted

1. 1. Tiger or Jack: Who's the greatest golfer?

• Tiger Woods is the man
    • Jack Nicklaus is my favorite

Tiger is the man!!
He has a sounder swing (not that that matters too much at that level)
He intimidates his opponents at the top of the leaderboard like Jack did.
He sinks as many( if not more) clutch putts as Jack.
He has reached the same number of Major titles in less years than Jack.

My preferred answer is not listed. I think Tiger IS, in fact, the man. But until he eclipses Jack's major record and career achievement, Jack remains, in fact, more accomplished.

I don't even see how you can argue that point. Once Tiger inevitably tops Jack's career accomplishments, he will become the superlative golfer of all time. But in order to do that, he not only has to blaze the competition, but he has to stay healthy and focused. That, for him, will be tougher than lapping the competition.

I consider Tiger undeniably the greatest of his time, but he needs to check a few more accomplishments off his list to best the reigning title holder, Jack.

Heaven is 630 a.m. Saturday morning, 65 crisp degrees headed toward a comfortable 80, first tee (elevated, of course) . . . and not another worry in the world.

Driver: r7 quad/10.5 degree, stiff shaft
3W: Steelhead III, stiff shaft
7W: r5, stiff shaftIrons (2-SW): ISI K/Black dot, stiff shaft,...

The biggest reason I like Jack, is I felt that he was pushed by the players he played with, wheras Tiger only seems to lose when he doesn't play his best.

Ken
http://labs.live.com/photosynth

Driver: R7 425 9.5 ProLaunch Blue R65
3W: Raylor Burner RegIrons: R7 TP 3-PW ProjectX 6.0GW: 52/8 Vokey Oil CanSW: 56/14 Vokey Spin Milled Oil CanPutter: 330 PutterBag: Grom

The biggest reason I like Jack, is I felt that he was pushed by the players he played with, wheras Tiger only seems to lose when he doesn't play his best.

I think that gives rise to the golfing version of the egg and chicken paradox: is it tougher to excel when the competition is its stiffest, or when you have no peer "pressure" to push you to sharpen your craft? Jack did the former, and Tiger the latter, and I almost think its tougher to excel when NO ONE is pushing you. Competing is mentally tougher on Sundays for the man locked in battle, but the desire to sharpen your game Monday through Wednesday and during the off-season, even long after you've proven your relative superiority, must be tougher.

Heaven is 630 a.m. Saturday morning, 65 crisp degrees headed toward a comfortable 80, first tee (elevated, of course) . . . and not another worry in the world.

Driver: r7 quad/10.5 degree, stiff shaft
3W: Steelhead III, stiff shaft
7W: r5, stiff shaftIrons (2-SW): ISI K/Black dot, stiff shaft,...

Jacks long game and Tigers short game...drool!!

I believe Tiger is the greatest golfer of all time and feel priviledged that I am here at a time where I can witness his career first hand!

In My Bag:

Driver: Burner Driver 9.5 (UST Proforce V2 Stiff 76g)
3 Wood: Rescue TP 14.5* (Stock 75g Stiff)
2 Iron: G10 Hybrid (Ust Proforce V2 85g High Launch Stiff)Irons: X- Forged (Rifle 6.0 Shafts)Wedges: 248.06, 252.08, SM56.10, SM60.04Putter: 9 XG Ball: TP BlackBag: Ozone Stand...

If Tiger can figure out how to stop blocking his drives (and the PGA was a good start) I think Tiger will end up with 23+ majors....

if he carries this swing fault through his later years as a pro, I don't believe he can catch Jack...

With at least ten "prime" years left, Tiger will rewrite the record book. Tiger is in the heads of all the other tour pros, that intimidation factor is undeniable. As much of a Nicklaus fan as I am, I don't think he ever induced the level of fear factor that Tiger Woods has in his opponents.

Unfortunately i can't say who is the greatest because i haven't seen much of Jack Nicklaus since i was born in 1985. But personally for me, i like Tiger because he inspired a lot of young golfers around the world, and one of them is me! =D

I'm 31, caught the tail end of Jack ('86 Masters).

If you gave a 30 year old Jack and a 30 year old Tiger equipment from the 60s or 70s - I have a feeling its not a fair fight.

I think technology has given golf more parity than there actually is.

The perfect example of what Tiger has done to golf is found with the 1997 Masters highlights video - I've caught it on The Golf Channel a couple of times. The looks on the faces of and the comments made by Tom Kite and Colin Montgomerie (two guys who were still young enough to be major factors in major tournaments) after the 2nd and 3rd rounds were telling - without saying it, the looks on their faces pretty much said, "The chances of me winning a major have passed me by."

Another thing that irritates me to no end is some of the older commentators, who have all pretty much went by the wayside now, would bring up "Well Tiger never had to compete against guys like Gary Player, or Arnold Palmer etc etc".......Well Jack never had to compete against Michelson, Else, Goosen, Singh, Faldo etc etc and 300 other guys who are all in shape and who all have careers because of technology.

Give Tiger and Jack, both in their primes, a sack of off the shelf 1970 golf clubs and Tiger would over power Jack. In 1997 all of the players were using all of the same equipment - none of the balls were juiced, none of the clubs were juiced - the clubs in 1997 were much more comparable to the clubs in the 70s than the clubs and balls they're using now and Augusta had to modify their course.

Does anyone doubt Tiger will win a major in his 50s?

im only 14 but i have to say tiger is just amazing with his work ethic. I also think he has his mental and physical game almost perfected.

Chris Nunes,17 yrs old

In My Bag:
Woods:Nike Sasquatch Tour Model (Driver), Nike Sumo 3 wood
Irons: Callaway X-Forged (Project X 6.0)Wedge: Callaway C Grind 58 degree,Titleist Volkey 54 degree (oil can)Putter Cleveland Classic 2 or Scotty Cameron Santa Fe teryllium "Everyday you miss practicing it...