IGNORED

Wanting to take lessons, but have a couple of questions.

Note: This thread is 5350 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So I'm finally biting the bullet and going to start taking some golf lessons. My only problem is, how do I find a good teacher? I know there are a ton here in Orlando, but how do I find one that would work the best for me? Any suggestions? How did you guys go about finding a teacher?

What's In My Golf Bag:

Nike Machspeed Black 10.5* callaway.gif Diablo Edge 5 Wood, callaway.gifDiablo Edge 4 Hybrid
callaway.gif 5- Pw Big Bertha Irons Graphite Shafts
vokey.gif52* 8* Bouncevokey.gif56* 8* Bouncevokey.gif60* 7* Bouncerife.gifHybrid Tour Mallet

there are several types of lessons.

1. fundamentals--grip, posture, address position, stance, etc----probably any PGA professional would suffice

2. short game--bunkers, chipping, pitching----ask around to see who is good in your area

3. putting

4. full swing--make sure video recording with computer/graphics software available. this really helps you "see" what you are doing and how to correct it

5. mental game and course management--sports psychologist

Decide which type of lesson or all 5 types you want. I would ask around at merchandise stores, driving ranges, golf courses to see who is recommended in your area. I'm sure there is someone else here on this site from your area.

When I started with lessons, I worked from the flagstick backwards. My first lesson was putting--two years ago. Second lesson was short game. I just started full swing lessons three weeks ago.

HiBore XLS Tour 9.5*
Adams Fast10 15* 3W
A2OS 3H-7iron 60* LW
8iron Precept Tour Premium cb
9iron and 45* PW 50* GW 56* SW m565 and 455 VfoilPutter Anser Belly Putter Ball in order of preference TPblack e5 V2  AD333

So I'm finally biting the bullet and going to start taking some golf lessons. My only problem is, how do I find a good teacher? I know there are a ton here in Orlando, but how do I find one that would work the best for me? Any suggestions? How did you guys go about finding a teacher?

There are also plenty of board members in Florida. I'm hoping one (or more) of them will reply to you and offer a suggestion on who to try.

As for how to find a teacher, what style of lessons do you want? I want feel instead of video analysis. And I wanted someone who can teach a variety of students. So I observed one potential teacher one day (by accident, but it worked out). First he gave a lesson on trajectory control and shot shape to someone who was pretty good, low single digit handicap (estimate). The next was a 6-year old girl who hadn't hit a golf ball before. By the end of the lesson, she was hitting shots out to the 40 yard marker.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I am not sure how far away Amelia Island is from you but Anne Cain is solid. I would highly recommend her.

T.M. O'Connell

What's in My Bag
Driver - 909 D2 9.5 degree
3 Wood - 909 F2 15.5 degreeHybrid - 909 H 19 degreeIrons - AP2 w/ Rifle 6.5Wedges - BN 60.04 & 54.11Putter - Pro Platinum Plus

Well, here's the update. I found a guy who teaches at a golf school ( Advantage Golf School) not to far from my house. I called him up yesterday and he seemed very knowlageable and understanding of what I want to accomplish and my expectations. I have my first lesson next weekend and I'm really looking forward to it. I'll keep an update on how things go.

What's In My Golf Bag:

Nike Machspeed Black 10.5* callaway.gif Diablo Edge 5 Wood, callaway.gifDiablo Edge 4 Hybrid
callaway.gif 5- Pw Big Bertha Irons Graphite Shafts
vokey.gif52* 8* Bouncevokey.gif56* 8* Bouncevokey.gif60* 7* Bouncerife.gifHybrid Tour Mallet

Look into GolfTec and see if one is in your area. They have THE best set-up for lessons/instruction with a wide variety of goals and instructors, with different specialties. They are also on the Cutting Edge of technology when it comes to analyzing capabilities.

:taylormade: R9 9.5d with Fujikura Motore 65 Stiff
ss-07 13deg 3 wood Graphite Design Purple Ice 85-S
Md-17 1i/4w UST V2 Tour Hybrid X
A3 Pro 20 Tour Prototype Mitsubishi Javln X
MP 57 4,5,6 Project X 6.5 MP 67 7,8,9 Project X 6.5 Vokey 200 series 48d Project X satin 6.5/ Vokey 09SMTC 54.11...

• 4 months later...
this is how i found the pga pro in the ft. lauderdale area.

http://www.pga.com/profinder/

http://www.pga.com/2009/instruction/...hes/index.html

from there i just asked if i could have a meet and greet with him to sit down and chat about his experience, his teaching methods etc to decide if its going to be a good fit. after i met with my instructor he asked me how much money i wanted to spend on lessons. i kind of looked at him funny and was like why do you ask. he said because it will help him tailor his lessons for me better so he knows how much time he can spend on each aspect of the the game!!

good luck!

In my Bag:
Burner 460 Driver 10.5deg stiff
Burner #3 Fairway Wood 15 deg stiff
MP-68 Irons with Project X 5.5 Shafts & Golf Pride New Decade Multicompound Grips
Spin Milled 52.08, 56.11, 60.07 Wedges White Hot XG 2-Ball SRT Putter

I'd recommend that you listen to your instructor and practice what they teach you. Some things feel awkward initially and you won't see great results right away all the time. But being stubborn and going back to old habits will kill you.

I have an instructor right now and it has 100% changed my game. We rebuilt my swing upon my request and I've never been more conscious and aware of what I'm doing at every phase of my swing as I am now. I can analyze misses very easily and adjust accordingly. You shoot and feel it and if you miss you know what went wrong technically and you feel your way around to correcting it.

But none of this happens if I don't trust him and practice a lot. Some lessons took some time to happen. I had developed a consistent shot but something of a push and had fairly weak distance for the effort I was putting into a swing. We adjusted a little posture and I got a few backswing drills and worked with him to create a better angle between my hips and shoulders. Then worked on swinging and releasing the club, which I wasn't doing well. I was picking at balls, flipping and leaving the face open. The only thing I had going for me was an inside-out swing path, lol. But we worked on all that and a lot it was weird at first. But its become natural and my game took off. And I can't believe the distance (and accuracy) I have even on half swings.

So listen to your teacher and trust his advice. Practice what you are taught and don't fight their instruction because you have other ideas. It just won't work if you do.

The best thing to do is tell the guy upfront.. Im not paying for another lesson so if you try and change my swing completely it wont work .. then at the end if you like him.. reschedule

the instructor i chose, i asked him what his philospy/teaching method would be with regards to my swing. He said i wont rebuild your swing from the ground up unless you ask me to. ill work with what you have now and just make some minor changes to get you swinging correctly!

In my Bag:
MP-68 Irons with Project X 5.5 Shafts & Golf Pride New Decade Multicompound Grips

I'd recommend that you listen to your instructor and practice what they teach you. Some things feel awkward initially and you won't see great results right away all the time. But being stubborn and going back to old habits will kill you.

same here i learned more in 1 hour than i had in 1 year but it only happened because i trusted him and practiced hard

DriverMonster Hi-Bore XLS/w Mintsubishi Diamana Fit-On M Gold Stiff 55g
Woods906F4 3 Wood/w Aldila VS Proto Fairway Stiff 80g
Hybrid3dx red 20 and 23 degree
Irons3dx red 5-pw
Wedgesharmonized sand wedge 56 degree loft and harmonize lob wedge 60 degree loftPutterWhite Hot XG SabertoothBallNoddle or ...

same here i learned more in 1 hour than i had in 1 year but it only happened because i trusted him and practiced hard

ditto!!!!!

In my Bag:

Not to barge in on how you spend your money, but what kinda rates are you guys getting for lessons? The best I could find was 10 lessons for $690....I dont exactly have that kind of cash laying around. Most everyone says, "oh we work on your 6 iron because its a medium length club and any swing flaws will be amplified with longer clubs". I tell them that I only want to focus on hitting consistant straight drives and that my 6 iron swing is completely different than a driver swing. Anyone have any input on this?

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

Not to barge in on how you spend your money, but what kinda rates are you guys getting for lessons? The best I could find was 10 lessons for $690....I dont exactly have that kind of cash laying around. Most everyone says, "oh we work on your 6 iron because its a medium length club and any swing flaws will be amplified with longer clubs". I tell them that I only want to focus on hitting consistant straight drives and that my 6 iron swing is completely different than a driver swing. Anyone have any input on this?

i got five one hour lessons for $360. yea, my teacher watched me with my 3 wood and driver for about 5-10 swings each and was like ok, lets try this and handed me my 8 iron. at that point i realized my swing sucked and i was all ears for anything he said or any tips. since my first one hour lesson and listening to what he said i am now hitting it straighter and longer!!

In my Bag:

Once a few more people chime in with their local rate maybe I really will give lessons a shot. I would much rather learn outside watching the ball flight vs hitting indoors into a net.

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

kpaulhus have you looked for a local pga pro in your area?
http://www.pga.com/profinder/

In my Bag:

But you 6-iron swing should NOT be completely different than your driver swing.......

R9 460 9.5
R9 3-Wood
Irons AP1 4-PW
Wedge X-Forged 62*, 56*, 50*
Studio Select 34" MS Newport 2 TP Red

But you 6-iron swing should NOT be completely different than your driver swing.......

you're right that it shouldnt but theres a good chance it will be. its the longest club that goes the farthest. human nature is to swing it the fastest, which can lead to some problems.

Note: This thread is 5350 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!