IGNORED

Bushnell Neo or SkyCaddie 3.0

Note: This thread is 5196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Oh I was give a giftcard for my b-day, and I have been wanting a new bag or a gps unit. The GC was for a moderate sum, but does notallow me to get both. The bag, while i'm reaaly tired of my hoofer, I think I can score a good deal for under $100, but the gps is closer to $200.

So I have been looking at SkyCaddie, primarily bcs they seem to have a quality product, and I like the number of features it offers. I cannot afford the nw 2.5, 3.5 and much less the 5, but the SG3 seems to be right up my alley at $160 - $199. I like the SG3 over the recharagable SG4 bcs of two reasons, the ability to change batteries whenever needed, and two bcs I won't be using that flawed connector much, only for downloading courses. I also like the upto 40 obstacle distances per hole, and the fact that you have a " map" of the green on the handheld.

I also like the Bushnell Neo (formerly iGolf Neo), for it's simplicity, compactness, and price $150. It always displays center of green, plus fron and back, of green. IT has 4 upto obstacles per hole that one can set to measure to, I understand that 2 are bunkers and water hazards already predefined. Although it does not have a fancy screen or tons of functions, it seems that it would be good enough to understand the course and get around.

As for the annual fees...I think the $30 - $35 per year fee does not discourage me from either. I think the main difference here is that with Sky Caddie you must maintain membership to continue to use, while for Neo you pay for fixed number of course in one year, but once the year is up, the courses are still yours....or somethink along those lines.

I have read several reviews and I am not sure which one to pick.

Se here is the question to you....have you used either...pros and cons? What can be said regarding bateery life of both units? What about durability? I have concerns regarding the glare on the SG3, any thoughts?

In advance, thank you for your input!
It's the indian, not the arrow! But it sure is nice to have good arrows!!!!!

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

I have been using the iGolf Neo (now Bushnell) for just about a year now, and have been very satisfied. It holds 10 courses on the unit, which for the most part is plenty to have at one time unless you are taking a very extended trip. It is very easy to move courses on and off the unit if you carry a laptop, so even that is not a big deal. Downloads take no time at all ( a few seconds per course). Quite a few of my friends have other units ( garmin, skycaddy,etc) and this unit is typically within a yard or two of theirs. Not sure which one is absolutely correct, but if you can really hit 142 vs. 144... I don't have any experience with the SC version, but i would highly recommend the Neo. Look at ebay also, you might find it less than $150 including shipping. Good Luck

Cobra L5V - Just waiting for the ZL to have a lower price
Cobra F Speed 2006 3 wood - very underrated 3 wood
Adams Pro Idea 3H and 4H

Taylormade Burner XD 4-AW
Cleveland 48*, 52*, and 60*

Odyssey F7 2 Ball

• Administrator
Are you set on a GPS over a (laser) rangefinder?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Not sure which one is absolutely correct, but if you can really hit 142 vs. 144...

Are you kidding my....I can hit 142.125 vs 142

kidding!
Are you set on a GPS over a (laser) rangefinder?

I gues the GPS intrigues me more....I have some reservation with the whole line of sight thing, and I am no surgeon....my hands are as steady as 4.5 earthquake! I played with a scope on Friday, and while I am totaly aware that I am comparing apples and oranges, the line of sight was an issue for me on a few doglegs. I'm not sure that after dropping a few hundred $$$ it would be rendered useless in a wooded course. But you can certainly build a case to attempt to convince me otherwise...

Driver : r7 Limited 9.5* Matrix Ozik X-Con 5.5 (Reg) | Fairway: 906F4 15.5* (Reg) | Hybrids: DWS Baffler 3/R 20* (Reg) & Baffler Rail H 4-H 22* (Reg) | Irons: AP1 5-G (Reg) | Wedges: SW - SM56-10 & LW - SM60-04 | Putter:.....

• Administrator
But you can certainly build a case to attempt to convince me otherwise...

A few things, none of which I mean as offensive:

1) the case has been made countless times already on the forum. 2) I really don't care what you end up with so long as you're happy. I will say, by way of #1, that only one or two times per round I'll have a line of sight issue and once every 20 rounds I'll have a line of sight issue that can't be solved by walking five or six steps in one direction (typically sideways) or crouching or something really simple. My two courses - Lake View in particular - is incredibly wooded. If you're not reaching the corners of doglegs, I don't know if a measuring device will be all that helpful unless you also plan to move up a set of tees or two.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I will say, by way of #1, that only one or two times per round I'll have a line of sight issue and once every 20 rounds I'll have a line of sight issue that can't be solved by walking five or six steps in one direction (typically sideways) or crouching or something really simple.

Good point! A few other things that have me staying away from rangefinders is the price...I can't seem to find a rangefinder in this price range as say the Bushnell Neo of the Sky Caddie SG3, these range in hte $250 - $180 range, while the closest RF I have found is about $250.

Also, what about fucntionality such as the distance of shot? I think the loupold has it but at $400 or so, it's way out of my price range. What other RF would you recommend that has some functionality not just an advanced scope? PS ~ non taken!!!

• Administrator
Also, what about fucntionality such as the distance of shot? I think the loupold has it but at $400 or so, it's way out of my price range.

Leupold's GX-I is $299, and you can often find them for $250 or so.

Distance of the shot you just hit? Never saw much point in that. Why? Golf's a game of "the next shot," not "the shot you just hit." But yeah, that's about it from me. Either of your two indicated choices are probably fine.

I'm very happy with my neo. For a high handicapper like me, it gives me everything I need in as compact a package as possible. I can see where a single digit handicapper may look for more features, or a range finder for exact yardage to the pin... but that's not me.
Driver :Adams Speedline 9032LS 10.5*
Woods:Wilson Staff FYbrid 3W
Hybrids:Wilson Staff FYbrid (wood/hybrid gap)
Hybrids:Ben Hogan Edge CFT 3H & 4H
Irons:King Cobra S9 5I-PWSand Wedge:Cleveland CG12-58*Putter:Ping Redwood AnserBall:Nike Karma/Topflite GamerFavourite Gizmo:Club Caddy

I don't think you could go wrong with the Neo... I have a Caddie II, also iGolf, and love it. I hate the way SkyCaddie nickel and dimes you for everything.
My Clubs: Callaway FT-i Tour LCG 9.5° w/ Matrix Ozik Xcon 6 stiff; Sonartec GS Tour 14° w/ Graphite Design Red Ice 70 stiff; Adams Idea Pro 2h(18°) & 3h(20°) w/ Aldila VS Proto 80 stiff; Adams Idea Pro Forged 4-PW w/ TT Black Gold stiff; Cleveland CG12 DSG RTG 52°-10° & 58°-10°; Odyssey...

I will likely be selling my SG4 soon, just bought a Leupold GX-I; PM me if you're interested in the SkyCaddie. You can then use the Gift Card for the bag you want, and have both things :)

909D2 10.5º Ozik X-Con 5 Stiff
949MC 14º Blueboard 73 Stiff
20º 4DX-3IWS Ironwood Stiff
AP2 Project X 5.5 (4-PW, 51º GW)
Vokey 54º-10 Spin Milled X-Tour 58º-11 PM MDByron Morgan 006 Oil Can putter

I have used my iGolf neo for more than a year and love it. It gives me everything I want (fr/bk/center) and hazards. I can program layup spots for the doglegs. Don't need line of sight and don't need to stand there fumbling to find something to shoot at and measure with the rangefinder. Walk up to my ball - the neo is mounted on my push cart in the umbrella hole - look down, get my distances and grab a club.

I'm not making a case for or against but advantages to me are: 1) no annual fee; b) distances instantly when I get to my ball; 3) ease of use; 4) battery life (and it's rechargeable).

My two cents ...
I make all my own clubs:
Driver: Snake Eyes Python XLD | | 3-Wood: Snake Eyes Python XL Faiway, 15*  | | Snake Eyes HT Iron Set, 3-, 4-Utility, 5-, 6-Hybrid, 7-PW Cavity Back | | Golfsmith G-40 Wedges, 52, 56, 60 | | Distance Master DM-AS2 Putter | |Ball? The last one I found ... that... was YOURS!!

After the discussions last week, I did a little research and found this link comparing units that might be useful. I am not sure if the information is correct, but what concerned me about the neo and golflogix was the absence of "Intelligreen" type functionality which gives you the distance from where your ball is and not from the center of the fairway, a key feature for those such as myself that spend a significant amount of time off the beaten path. A guy on my league has a golflogix and swears that it does have intelligreen. (???) Neway, I can't confirm the accuracy of this information but thought I would post it.

From the discussions on here, I think I am leaning towards a laser rangefinder myself.

- Shane

My iGolf neo will give me the distance to the CENTER of the green from anywhere on the course and it is pretty accurate. What it won't do is give you front and back distances, because those are measured from the center of the fairway. I have gotten a distance while standing in the wrong fairway and found that it was pretty close. The GPS center is the center no matter where you are - it is a measurement from your unit to the satelite to a point on the earth..
I make all my own clubs:
Driver: Snake Eyes Python XLD | | 3-Wood: Snake Eyes Python XL Faiway, 15*  | | Snake Eyes HT Iron Set, 3-, 4-Utility, 5-, 6-Hybrid, 7-PW Cavity Back | | Golfsmith G-40 Wedges, 52, 56, 60 | | Distance Master DM-AS2 Putter | |Ball? The last one I found ... that... was YOURS!!

My iGolf neo will give me the distance to the CENTER of the green from anywhere on the course and it is pretty accurate. What it won't do is give you front and back distances, because those are measured from the center of the fairway. I have gotten a distance while standing in the wrong fairway and found that it was pretty close. The GPS center is the center no matter where you are - it is a measurement from your unit to the satelite to a point on the earth..

Cool. That isn't as bad as I thought then.

- Shane

I think the Neo will be a ood starting device.....I still lots of improvements to make on my gave to be upset that my gps puts me a few yards away from the pin. My biggest issues is club selection. In part due to the fact that I don't really know my distances with my irons, thus making it dificult to really adjust to a specific distance. I am really bad at reading yardage, but I make up for it reading greens.

On friday, I mis-read my scope, and hit a 7i thinking 150 yards, and it really was 100...oops!!! The scope worked to help me descide between a hybrid or an iron, and whether a 7i or a PW was needed, but nothing much in between.

While i had my mind set to get a new bag, I think I will improve my game quite a bit with this device.

I spoke to a few pros, and they tolk me to stay away from the SG3 / SG4. It seem it had alot of problems, apparently customer service is pretty bad (from what I have read on the forums).

Thanks for the input!!!

I've had a Skycaddie 2 for several years and am satisfied with it except around Falcon Dunes at Luke AFB in AZ. Several friends have the SG3 and have issues with battery life. Also the Customer Service of Sky Caddie is not very responsive. The call in 800# requires 15-20 minute waits. There is a reason the SG3 is cheaper and I think it is the batteries.

I noticed that TGW is selling the Yardage Pro models with a $50 rebate (6-8 weeks to process). This would make the Yardage Pro (not the XG) the same price as the Neo if you can wait for the rebate.

- Shane

Just a quick mention into the way they approach subscriptions. The way I understand it with the Neo membership you pay ~$35 for a year. In this year you can download (I think) as many courses to your Computer as you would like - once you have them downloaded they are yours, you always have access to that file to use on your device - it's like you bought that version of that course.

In the Sky Caddie model you pay ~$35 a year and when that year is up that is it, the courses on the device stop working and you cannot use the device until you "re-up". It's more like you are renting the courses for the term of the subscription. From what I've heard if your year membership runs out in the middle of a round, then you are without a GPS immediatly.

Would look into that - I see where the Skycaddie method ensures the latest course data, but if that's not a big deal then it seems the Neo is more permenant without the reoccuring cost.

I want the Neo but after seeing it for $115 shipped on Amazon a few months back I just can't make myself pay $150 now...old tech should get cheaper, not go down and then back to suggested retail.

It's worth mentioning that the lasers have no subscription (balance that against the upfront cost increase for the laser) and the course data is always up to date.
In the bag:
905R 9.5° - UST ProForce V2 65R
909F2 15.5° Titleist Diamana 75
909H 19° Titleist Diamana 80
Zing 2 3-PW Vokey SM48.08 @ 51° Vokey SM56.11 Unitized Leo

Note: This thread is 5196 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!