IGNORED

Can you hear the hiss of your own ball?

Note: This thread is 5341 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

When I am on the driving range next to someone who is a good ball striker I can hear the "hiss" sound that the ball makes as it comes off the club head of the person next to me. I don't hear that same hiss on my shots.

Was wondering if I'm not creating it or if I just can't hear it.

Thought?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't hear my own but I can hear others.

In my Staff bag:
Bazooka HP-5 Driver 460cc
Bazooka OS HP-5 3/5 Woods
Jmax QL Irons 5-PW (Graphite Stiff Shafts)
X-tour Gap Wedge 52* X-tour Sand Wedge 56* Lob Wedge 60* Rossa Daytona 1 Putter

i do not hear my own ball hiss. I hear impact.
Bag: Flight SS
Driver: 10.5* r5 draw with Pro Launch blue 65 Stiff
Irons: CCi Forged 3i-pw
Wedges: 56* CG12 black pearl and 60* low bounce RTG 900
Putter: i-Series Anser 35"Ball: e5+Tee: Zero FrictionGlove: FootJoy WeatherSofRangefinder: MedalistShoes: Sp-6 II, Adidas 360Scores this year:92 91...

No, i dont hear it from my own shots. The onlything i hear is the club impacting the ball.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

When I am on the driving range next to someone who is a good ball striker I can hear the "hiss" sound that the ball makes as it comes off the club head of the person next to me. I don't hear that same hiss on my shots.

Maybe the guy was just using one of those new PowerBilt Air Force One nitrogen charged drivers and it sprung a leak.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

• Administrator
Why would you hear it? Of course you don't hear it. The sound waves aren't going towards you.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My driver is to damn loud to hear anything. So no I cant hear it, but I can hear others.

Aerolite III bag
MP600 10.5*
F-50 15*
MP57's Project X 5.5 3-PW
CG10 56* RAC 52* 60* 2 Ball putter ProV1/ProV1X Blackberry Storm GolfLogix

If I do happen to hit the ball great and get good compression I can easily hear it. Not with the driver though, it's too loud.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Why would you hear it? Of course you don't hear it. The sound waves aren't going towards you.

Sound waves travel in all directions unless blocked. Though, you'll hear them in a lower frequency that someone standing in front of you due to the doppler effect.

With that said. I generally don't hear the hiss with my driver because of the ringing of the impact, but I hear it clearly when I hit a good 5W and sometimes with an iron.

• Administrator
Sound waves travel in all directions unless blocked.

1) Sound waves don't travel in all directions. They spread from the source, but they don't magically go 360 degrees around, nor are they the same strength in every direction.

2) The golf ball does a good job of blocking the sound waves that would possibly head back your way. You won't hear much if someone hit a golf ball right at you, either. Most of the "hissing" sound originates from the sides of the golf ball (all around it - top, left, bottom, right), and it's caused by the air rushing over the dimples. Stand to the side of someone hitting a Caesar ball and you won't hear much, either. With a clean ball (no big scrapes, cuts, slices, or chunks missing) it's unlikely you'll ever hear the sound of your own golf ball. Your clothes make noise, impact makes noise, the divot makes noise, your breathing makes noise, and the sound from the golf ball headed back in your direction is incredibly faint. By the time the divot/impact/clothes noise diminishes to the point where you might be able to hear the faint noise coming back at you from the golf ball, it's too far out of range to hear it. Physics is great, but when it gets in the way of real-world experience, you've gotta step away from the physics and realize that the real world is messy and nothing at all like the over-simplified way we tend to like to deal with physics.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I created a similar thread called "better players impact sounds" where I was curious about the same thing. I was at the range yesterday hitting a 4-iron and could definitely hear the hiss, but not until it was a little ways out, and then only briefly and faintly. I used to never hear it and marveled at the sound made by my friends ball (he's a +3). I realized it was due to several things:

1. Position. When you're not standing above the ball, it's easier to hear, as has already been discussed.

2. Impact quality. There's a lot of other noises when you hit the ball of the toe, dive it into the ground, etc, that aren't there when the ball is struck purely.

3. Swing quality. Fast, high-handicappers have a protracted swoosh where the energy of the swing is bleeding off for a much longer period of time, as opposed to better players whose swoosh occurs very near the proximity of the ball will a full release of energy eliminating the speed on the follow through. This swoosh adds noise that affects your ability to detect the hiss.

If I swing hard and toe the ball, I can't hear a 4-iron. This makes sense because the noise level is higher, and the ball speed is much lower. If I swing easy, but fast, and hit it purely, I can hear it pretty well.

[ Equipment ]
R11 9° (Lowered to 8.5°) UST Proforce VTS 7x tipped 1" | 906F2 15° and 18° | 585H 21° | Mizuno MP-67 +1 length TT DG X100 | Vokey 52° Oil Can, Cleveland CG10 2-dot 56° and 60° | TM Rossa Corza Ghost 35.5" | Srixon Z Star XV | Size 14 Footjoy Green Joys | Tour Striker Pro 5, 7, 56 | Swingwing

Are you sure you have one?

I don't think I've made much of a hiss before I got better compression, so it was no wonder I never heard anything.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

^ I assume so, I watch other people, old, young, slow and fast swing speeds and I have heard the ball hiss usually with a 3-5 wood but sometimes the irons as well.

Come to think of it, I had a stranger tell me the other day that he thought my shots sounded so much better than his but I could have said the same thing to him.

Ask a friend or someone to listen while you hit a couple and you'll find out.

Note: This thread is 5341 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!