IGNORED

Ghin

RIduffer
Note: This thread is 5121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I got a GHIN this year, and have been entering scores since April 1. Previously, I just used my league handicap, but I'm playing in a few member-guest events this summer where I'll need something official.

My question has to do with league rules vs. course rules. My home course allows preferred lies in the fairway ONLY. But one of the leagues I play in allows preferred lies in the rough as well (the justification being that our course has so much hardpan, rocks, roots, etc.). Would you still enter scores from this league?

So far I have not entered these scores since I assume they are not legit.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Adams Idea Tech hybrid 19*
Titleist DCI 981 irons
Ping iwedge 56*, 52*Carbite Putter

I had a similar dilema, what I did in the end is not play prefered lie anywhere even if it was allowed, that way I know I have a legit score and I can enter every score I make, I have a few of the guys I play with in the league say to me that I am doing myself out of potential prizes etc in league games etc but my concience is clear!!

Driver: Taylormade R9
3 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
5 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
7 Wood: Cobra S 9-1

Irons: Taylormade r7 Custom Fit (SW-4)

Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza Spyder

Balls: Titleist Pro V1x

Thanks, that's a good solution. It may hurt me a little in that league, but I think it's better in the long run, since I have to play the ball down in all other rounds.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Titleist DCI 981 irons

Are winter rules in effect year round? Seems like it goes against the basis of the game.

Leagues sometimes establish rules different from the course rules. In this case, the league decided that the course conditions were such that preferred lies were appropriate in the rough.

Maybe it goes against your idea of the "basis of the game", but different courses can have different conditions. For example, my home course has tons of hardpan/rocks/roots just outside the fairway, which you would probably not find at a private course. Normally, I play according to course rules (which say suck it up and hit off the hardpan), but this league is just trying to make things more friendly.

Callaway Big Bertha 460
Callaway X 3-wood 15*
Titleist DCI 981 irons

Leagues sometimes establish rules different from the course rules. In this case, the league decided that the course conditions were such that preferred lies were appropriate in the rough.

Actually Klebs is right. Playing the ball as it lies and taking the course as you find it are truly the most basic principles upon which the Rules of the game are based. For myself, I would be uninterested in playing in a league which took such liberties with the Rules of Golf. That just isn't the game that I prefer to play. But the league competition committee can pretty much do as it wishes if there is no oversight, and I've heard of league play with much worse abuses of the rules than what you describe.

In the end, you decide what seems fair and proper to you.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks, that's a good solution. It may hurt me a little in that league, but I think it's better in the long run, since I have to play the ball down in all other rounds.

That is exactly how I saw it, if I play at member guest touney's at other courses I know that my hcp is a true reflection of my game unlike someone who is used to prefered lies all the time.

I had a similar dilema, what I did in the end is not play prefered lie anywhere even if it was allowed, that way I know I have a legit score and I can enter every score I make, I have a few of the guys I play with in the league say to me that I am doing myself out of potential prizes etc in league games etc but my concience is clear!!

I think you guys are being way too strict with your interpretation of the rules. If preferred lies and any other relief is being granted, I would interpret that as local rules and post the score. I play all rounds per the specific course instructions and post all scores unless instructed otherwise.

Driver: Taylor Made RBZ HL
3-Wood:Taylor Made RBZ 16*
Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ 19* and 22*
4i-PW: Titleist AP 1
Wedges: Vokey 54*, 60* Putter: Cameron Squareback 2 Ball: Pro V1x

I think you guys are being way too strict with your interpretation of the rules. If preferred lies and any other relief is being granted, I would interpret that as local rules and post the score. I play all rounds per the specific course instructions and post all scores unless instructed otherwise.

The thing is, if I kept to the league rules all the time and my handicap was based on my league scores and then went to play in a tournament where I have to play the ball down my hcp wouldn't be a true reflection of my ability, by playing the ball down in every round I play I know that I have the edge over someone that has been playing prefered lies.

Note: This thread is 5121 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!