IGNORED

Hybrid or 5 Wood ?

ScottL
Note: This thread is 5045 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My Adams A3 irons have hybrids as the 3,4,5. I simply cannot hit these clubs to save my life. Iv read and heard other people with Adams hybrids say they are an iron hybrid and meant to be hit like an iron, not like a wood.

However, I guess its a mental thing, but I simply cannot take a divot and hit them like this. I try and sweep them and its not working out for me.

So.... to fix this issue, I simply just dont use them. Because I dont have any fairway woods, I have a huge gap in my clubs from Driver to 6 iron. I want to fill in this gap with a single club for now.

Im looking at a different type of hybrid like a 909H Hybrid. Also thinking about a 5 wood. Like a Titleist 909 or Taylormade R9 5 woods...

What do you guys suggest? Anyone with a wood style hybrid AND a 5 wood? Which do you perfer and why?

Driver: D2 - 10.5° - Fujikura Rombax 5X07
5 Wood: R9 - 19°
Irons: Taylor Made CB
Wedges: Vokey Oil Can 52°, 56°, 64°
Putter: Scotty Custom Studio Design  Balls: ProV1

I've got the same ones bro. I usually take a 3/4 swing with it and really let it load up at the top - i can hit my 3-5 hybrids now better than any club in my bag. Also try taking some practice swings with a driver before hand, feels like you've got more control when you pick up the hybrid.

In my Grom:

Driver: MX 560
Irons: Idea a3 3H, 4H, 5H, 6, 7, 8, 9, PW
Wedges: GT Tight Lies Sandwedge, GT Tight Lies LobwedgePutter: White Steel #5

The thing is, hybrids are easier to hit off the deck than fairway woods, so if you are having hybrid issues, don't go with a fairway wood. I would just hit the range a couple of times this week, try to focus on hitting those hybrids as if they were irons, purposefully taking a divot. In the long run, putting one quick fix club to do the job of a bunch of clubs between Dr-6iron isn't going to help your game.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The thing is,

I don't agree with that.

They might be easier to hit out of the rough, but off the fairway they are easy to hit.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Wood - sam snead persimmon 2 wood (for windy days)
Hybrid burner tour launch 20* stiff flex.
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

My Adams A3 irons have hybrids as the 3,4,5. I simply cannot hit these clubs to save my life. Iv read and heard other people with Adams hybrids say they are an iron hybrid and meant to be hit like an iron, not like a wood.

I haven't played Adams hybrids but you should carry what works for you. If that is a 4 wood, or 5wood and 7wood go for it. I really don't believe in significant adjustments in your swing for hybrids. I believe in using your normal swing. All I change is my ball position a bit. Trouble woods, rescue clubs and more wood like hybrids like my Fybrid are all reasonable options. Since you are playing high end balls, stiff shafts in your clubs I wonder if you are someone who has been dropping your handicap and just need a little patience to start using A3 hybrids. I believe they are aimed at the mid handicap, sometimes called aspirational golfer. Someone who is not yet a single digit player but is trying to get there. They are not quite as forgiving as say the A3 OS model.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

When did people start calling hitting a fairway wood from the fairway, "off the deck"?

Anyway, I use a Titleist 5-wood, a Wilson Staff Fybrid, and a 2-iron pretty much interchangeably. After playing a round with the Fybrid in the bag, I have to remember to take a couple extra practice swings with the 5-wood (misses are thin) and with the 2-iron (misses are fat).

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

what's your typical miss when you pull the hybrid? I actually HATE using hybrids. I'd rather hit a 2 or 3 iron instead of a hybrid..but now I just pull a 5 wood...and if i'm really stuck in the rough...I just try to get it out with an iron that I can comfortably be a wedge away to try to get up and down.
DJ Yoshi
Official DJ: Rutgers Football
Boost Mobile Tour
In My Bag
HiBoreXL 9.5 White Board D63 Stiff Exotics CB2 5 Wood, Exotics CB3 3 Wood MP-60 5.5 Flighted Shafts 54 & Cleveland CG-10 60 Newport 2

I own an adams hybrid-3 that I bought used at Golf Galaxy. I HATE that club. I worked diligently to try and learn how to hit. Never even once did I get a decent shot, let alone a good one. I just bought my 2009 launcher 17* a few weeks ago, and I can already beat the snot out of it. LOVE that club!

In the bag
Driver: Tour Burner 10.5*
Fairway: Launcher 2009 17*
Irons: X-18r 4-SW
Gap Wedge: CG15 52*Wedge: X Tour 60*Putter: Crimson 550Ball: E5

Thanks for the faith guys, but I have no interest in learning to hit these particular clubs. I hate them and cant stand even looking at them anymore. Im really thinking about a 909H type of club.

Thanks for the faith guys, but I have no interest in learning to hit these particular clubs. I hate them and cant stand even looking at them anymore. Im really thinking about a 909H type of club.

Another hybrid?

I own an adams hybrid-3 that I bought used at Golf Galaxy. I HATE that club. I worked diligently to try and learn how to hit. Never even once did I get a decent shot, let alone a good one. I just bought my

I have the same Cleveland Launcher and almost have to do something purposefully wrong to hit a bad shot with it. Rough or fareway, wasy club to hit.

maybe i should just get another iron like a 4 or 5 so it will be a little longer than my 6 and get a 5 wood... sounds like more reasonable thing to do

maybe i should just get another iron like a 4 or 5 so it will be a little longer than my 6 and get a 5 wood... sounds like more reasonable thing to do

exactly.

longer irons aren't as hard to hit as some people say they are.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex
Irons - Tour Mode 3i,4i stiffIrons - FP's 5-PW R-flexWedge - spin milled 54.14Wedge - spin milled 60.07Putter - Victoria Lowest round 2010: 79 (par 70)Latest rounds at...

Agreed. But that applies to hybrids too-long iron and hybrid swing are extremely similar.

I'm more confident with my 3i than I am with a hybrid.

It's probably all mental though.

My Clubs
Driver - LV4 10* R flex

I purchased the Adams A3 set because they had the 3,4, and 5 hybrids. I am the opposite (can't hit woods or drivers to save my life) and have always played just irons. I use a 4 iron off the tee and have found that the hybrids are easy to hit. I can hit the 5 hybrid well off of the grass. When I started at the range I worked with the hybrids at about half power to get used to them. After I got comfortable I swung normally. I like the feel and they hit well for me.

In my bag:

Driver: Covert Performance
Super Hybrid : :nike: 2H - 17* Covert Performance

Irons: :nike:Covert 4I - PW

Wedges: :nike:X3X Wedges (52*, 56*, 60*)

Putter: Method Core 1i

Ball: :nike:One RZN

Upgrading Always.

Somehow I always hook my hybrid to the left. So I decided to try a 5 wood instead. Last week I hit this 5 wood 190 yards from the rough. So I left my 3 hybrid at home and my 5 wood stays in the bag.
Whats in my Golf Bag:
Driver: Nike Sumo 5000
5 Wood: Mizuno MP-001
Iron: Mizuno MX-950 5-PW
Wedge: Cobra FP 60 degrePutter: Odyssey 2-BallBall: Yellow balls

Note: This thread is 5045 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!