IGNORED

The Mental Side of the Game?

Note: This thread is 6371 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It definetely is a mental game, but obviously not only a mental game. While the first priority should be to get an ok swing, short game and putting stroke/feel the better you get the more it is about consistency and avoiding mistakes. These have strong mental components imho.

I'm not a very good player but I have a strong will to win; thus I play better in match play with my friends but tend to play worse in stroke-play rounds where there is nothing much at stake. This year I have been trying to enjoy myself more during golf and appreciating everything about the experience. The nature, the physical excersise etc. I think it has added a lot to my experience and I have become more consistent without any more practice. So your mental outlook means a lot...
D: Integra SoooLong Graph TI 400cc 10.5 w Harrison Striper Titanium Stiff
FW: Cobra X Speed 4+ (16 deg) w stiff Aldila NV-X
Hybrid: Cobra Baffler 2/R 19 deg hybrid
Irons: ICN 3-PW irons
Wedge: Wokey SM 58.08 wedgePutter: "Dead Center" putter

I have developed some decent skills but I am still kind of a ranger rick. I have trouble taking the relaxation and timing of my driving range swing to the course. This is clearly a mental issue. On the course I tend to start trying to hard. As a former competive runner, 400 & 800m, this was one of the hardest things on the track also. Trying to find your maximum RELAXED performance level. Trying harder applies to discipline, concentration, time invested, but more physical effort can be counter productive. For me this means to much effort with my arms and shoulders to early in the swing, mishits and hooks result. Some people have issues with putting, chipping etc., but I bet a large part of peoples struggles with the driver can be attributed to excessive physical effort driven by desire to hit it harder farther better.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

• 2 weeks later...

Golf is unquestionably mental. It is more mental than anyone would probably like to admit. It has taken me years to realize this, and many frustrating days. Here is the honest truth, if you want to learn more about the mental game of golf, read these books:

Golf is Not a Game of Perfect Dr. Bob Rotella
Golf is a Game of Confidence Dr. Bob Rotella
Peak Performance Golf Dr. Patrick Cohn

and one on putting...
The Mental Art of Putting Dr. Patrick Cohn

Hope this helps...

Randell L. Vansant, PGA
Assistant Professional
Mizuno Brand Ambassador
Spokane Country Club, Spokane, WA
Mail to RandellIn My Bag:Callaway Fusion FT-5 (Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3)Titleist 909 F2 13.5 (Diamana Blue Board)Mizuno CLK 20 Degree Hybrid (Aldila NV Hybrid)Mizuno MP-57 Irons, 4-PW...

• 2 weeks later...
I would most definitely concur that the greatest impact on performance is determined by one's mental game. A player with a well honed mental game can find a way to get the absolute best out of themselves. At times in spite of their physical limitations.

While being a golf mental game coach makes me decidedly biased, I have witnessed in my clients games as well as my own, that certain mental strategies and techniques can measurabley improve scores and overall performance levels.

I won't take up space here monopolizing this forum as I respect its purpose. Yet just though I'd toss my 2 cents in!

If readers are open to this topic I enjoy talking about it and discussing things related. I have noticed my comments and articles/tips being referenced on places on this forum so I thought I'd participate.

Maybe my material will be added to your list of recommended books, golfnut_rlv... I hope so!

Cheers...

Wade Pearse
The Mental Game of Golf
Mental Game Blog

• 2 weeks later...
Wade...thanks I got the books and there are really good. I thank you for that. In my travels on the subject, I also got into vision1golf.com... great program too... thanks for the insight and I know it will help my game!!! I also see you are into a particular brand of clubs... can you give me the 411? Thanks Peter Spiva

the mental side is definately is an element of how you play, some thrive under pressure, some only play well when there is nothing riding on it.

for me, and for whatever reason im a crap golfer when i play alone.
but when i play with others i raise my game.

little things can affect your mental side of the game, i got paired up with a guy who was the archbishop of Cardiff last week in our comp.I couldnt be myself at all (had to cut out the f***ing swearing!) so my game went to crap.

in the bag-
R7 425cc
Halo 2i
R7 irons
X tour wedge 2-ball putter balls

Golf is definitely more mental.

As the Bobby Jones said, "Golf is played mainly on a five-and-a-half-inch course...the space between your ears.”
"Hit 'em hard - they'll land somewhere." - Stewart Maiden

In the Bag:

Driver: R480, 10.5*, Graphite5 Wood: R540 XD, 17.5*, GraphiteIrons: Big Bertha 4-10 + GW, SSWedge: 56*, Chrome, SSPutter: White HotBall: HX Hot

I just posted on the Duval thread illustrating my belief of just how mental the game can be . . . both good and bad. Duval was an example IMO of a superior mental game, and then of an inferior mental game illustrating how important the mental game is.

My mental game is terrible right now, so i can hit the ball great but can't score. A good mental game enables one to score, it is the edge that no swing mechanics can beat.

I was following Tom Watson around a few weeks ago at the Schwab Cup and he pushed a drive into an oak grove. He walks up to the ball, surveys the situation, which seemed impossible, then got the club he wanted, set up and drilled a shot under a tree immediately in front, over another tree a littler further away and up onto the middle of the green pin high, incredible shot.

It was mental, he just saw the shot in his mind and didn't doubt it and had his body execute the shot his mind wanted.

2009 Burner R
FT-I Fusion Squareway 3W 15* Fujikura Speeder Fit-On R
5W R7 R
FT Fusion Hybrids Draw 3/21*, 4/24*
G5 5-PW X-forged Vintage: 52.12, 56.14MDScotty Cameron: Newport 2 ProV1

Wade...thanks I got the books and there are really good. I thank you for that. In my travels on the subject, I also got into vision1golf.com... great program too... thanks for the insight and I know it will help my game!!! I also see you are into a particular brand of clubs... can you give me the 411? Thanks Peter Spiva

Hmm, I'm not sure which books you are referring to? Must be the ones mentioned in golfnuts post, just above my original post. I only have one book for sale....

And I tried to find the info where my club details are listed on this site and I can't find it. Perhaps I didn't complete my profile....best get it done! For the record I own a set of Titleist PM 731's - It's the last year Titleist made the Phil Mickelson progressive set before he moved to Calloway... Blades from PW through to the 6 iron then small cavity back on the 5, 4 and 3 irons. I changed the shafts to the Nippon NS Pro's... unbelievable feel. They feel like swinging graphite but with the consistency of steel. They are the lightest steel shafts on the market. Well, at least at the time they were. Perhaps there's lighter ones now. They are sweet. The iron heads feel like a cross between forged and cast. I am not a fan of cast clubs and prefer forged but they go out of loft and lie too easy from being so soft. so you have to adjust them a few times per season if you play regularly which is bit of a hassle. The PM 731's are "investment cast" which is as close to forged as I can get. I think I might consider going back to forged next season if I find a good price on some Mizuno MP32's.. Needless to say my commitment is to the mental game then equipment! The Mental Game of Golf Mental Game Golf Blog

Note: This thread is 6371 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!