IGNORED

"Swing Machine Golf" by Paul Wilson

iacas
Note: This thread is 942 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by pwgolfpro

jd924,

I am well aware of the new ball flight laws versus the old.

My slice sure works exceptionally well with my record being 1 minute 56 seconds from the time I shook the person's hand.  I am not talking about a pull hook either.  The person was hitting a perfect draw from square alignment.  Oh I also shot a cure your slice session in my virtual golf school.  Out of 9 people (who I never met) the fastest I cured a slice in was 2 minutes and 3 seconds and the longest was 13 min.  Again,  perfect draws or straight shots from square alignment.  All on video.

I think I will keep doing what I am doing.

Sure whatever works for you.

You still didnt address your thoughts about eliminating a golf slide on the downswing. Would love to hear your opinion.

• Administrator
Originally Posted by Harmonious

Good explanation, Erik.  I have a neighbor who is after me to help him get rid of his BIG slice.  I will try your method the next time we go to the range. However, if he doesn't start hitting controlled draws within five swings, I'm gonna tell him it's the fault of some guy in Erie, PA..

Uh huh. Good luck with that. :D

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

JD924,

No one asked me to address a slide.  You said you watched one of my videos and it was terrible so why would I tell you it again?  If you need help with something just ask instead of bashing me.  Although you may not like my technique maybe I can provide some information that can help your golf swing.

If you need it again, here is my cure:

From the top of the backswing you need to be thinking about the left knee.  It needs to be moving straight back as you start the downswing.  I get people to imagine and arrow on the back of this knee and forcing it straight back or to put a shaft in the ground about 3-4 inches off the left hip.  As you come down you miss the shaft with the left hip.  So you are not thinking shift to start down.  You are thinking "turn."  The shift will occur if you end up on the tip of the back toe without even thinking about it.

If done properly the left knee will have gone back locking this leg at the end of the swing.  I like the right leg to have come around and is physically touching the left leg into the follow through.  This provides feedback telling the person they have done the position correctly.  If the legs are not touching the stance usually is too wide, they are not shifting their weight and/or the are shifting too much.

Curing a slide is definitely tricky.  It took me 2 months back when I was about 18.  Back in the day I was told to shift to start the downswing.  The more lateral shift you have the more it tilts your upper body to the right in the downswing.  This creates the path too much from the inside.  If the face is square to this path the ball will push.  If it is open it will push/fade and if it is too closed it will duck hook.

Paul Wilson

Thats poppycock. No good player moves the lead knee back and locks it immediately during the backswing and Almost nobody has it locked at impact Horrible advice. Plain to see on video of almost anyone good.

On 12/17/2012 at 7:40 AM, pwgolfpro said:

From the top of the backswing you need to be thinking about the left knee.  It needs to be moving straight back as you start the downswing.  I get people to imagine and arrow on the back of this knee and forcing it straight back or to put a shaft in the ground about 3-4 inches off the left hip.  As you come down you miss the shaft with the left hip.  So you are not thinking shift to start down.  You are thinking "turn."  The shift will occur if you end up on the tip of the back toe without even thinking about it.

If done properly the left knee will have gone back locking this leg at the end of the swing.  I like the right leg to have come around and is physically touching the left leg into the follow through.  This provides feedback telling the person they have done the position correctly.  If the legs are not touching the stance usually is too wide, they are not shifting their weight and/or the are shifting too much.

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Man you are defensive. I did ask nicely about your slide idea but your throwing your arms up screaming everyone is against me like a three year old. All I wanted to ask about was why you thought this was correct, you it answered thanks. You could of done it without the bs.

Originally Posted by jd924

Man you are defensive. I did ask nicely about your slide idea but your throwing your arms up screaming everyone is against me like a three year old. All I wanted to ask about was why you thought this was correct, you it answered thanks. You could of done it without the bs.

You better reread your first posts on this thread.  You were in attack mode from the start.

• Administrator

You better reread your first posts on this thread.  You were in attack mode from the start.

I'd have to agree.

I disagree with the "slide" versus "turn" stuff as well, and were I to post, would say something like what Phil said albeit more nicely and with several photos.

But this thread is about Paul's book, so I'll refrain from doing that. :)

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Maybe my first post yes, but certainly not this one where I got his angriest response.

"Sure whatever works for you.

You still didnt address your thoughts about eliminating a golf slide on the downswing. Would love to hear your opinion."

Phil McGleno,

Did I say the knee was locked at impact?  NO.  I said I want them thinking of an arrow on the back of the knee going back instead of thinking about a lateral shift or they can put a shaft a few inches off the hip and miss the shaft.  So don't mistake what I am saying.

I like the left leg locked once the lead arm is parallel to the ground in the through swing but the person has to start making this move from the top of the backswing as soon as they start down.  This means it is still bent at impact.  I also like the person to end up on the tip of the back toe.  If this occurs the weight had to shift.  So you can get the weight shifting laterally without having to think about it.

Some people like teaching a lateral shift.  I do not.

Paul Wilson

Why not? virtually every good player has a lateral shift How else do you get your weight forward at impact? Reasons would help.[quote name="pwgolfpro" url="/t/42960/swing-machine-golf-by-paul-wilson/72#post_792424"] Some people like teaching a lateral shift.  I do not. [/quote]

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

JD924,

Here is your first post to me:

Quote:
I think it's pretty clear Mr.Wilson doesn't know the real ball flight laws. I remember watching him make a video saying to not slide and how terrible it was. Something we know is flat out incorrect.

First, this is insulting.  Next, you are bashing me without know anything about me or what I teach.

How would you feel if someone said this to you about what you do?

Paul Wilson

Maybe my first post yes, but certainly not this one where I got his angriest response.

"Sure whatever works for you.

You still didnt address your thoughts about eliminating a golf slide on the downswing. Would love to hear your opinion."

So why should anyone want to respond to you? What are you looking to find?  Something you can learn to improve your own game, or just something you can ridicule (at a 7 cap it should be the former and not the latter).

First, this is insulting.  Next, you are bashing me without know anything about me or what I teach.

How would you feel if someone said this to you about what you do?

From your posts with iacas and the way you were displaying your knowledge about the golf swing, it appeared to be a safe assumption (that you didnt know the correct ball flight laws). If you think that's "insulting" along with "bashing without knowing anything you teach" your flat out wrong. I've watched your videos, you teach not to slide, we know its wrong. Bringing this to your attention is "bashing" yea okay buddy. I guess you "bash" every student you teach when you find a flaw in his/her's swing.

Originally Posted by Harmonious

So why should anyone want to respond to you? What are you looking to find?  Something you can learn to improve your own game, or just something you can ridicule (at a 7 cap it should be the former and not the latter).

I wasnt "ridiculing" I was asking why he thought that sliding was bad when most would agree it isnt true. But thats enough, get back to the topic of his book.

I've watched your videos, you teach not to slide, we know its wrong. Bringing this to your attention is "bashing" yea okay buddy. I guess you "bash" every student you teach when you find a flaw in his/her's swing.

You got a mouse in your pocket?  Who is this we you are referring to? I haven't read any commentary from you that you have some advanced golf knowledge, so it must that mouse.

I wasnt "ridiculing" I was asking why he thought that sliding was bad when most would agree it isnt true. But thats enough, get back to the topic of his book.

I've at least contributed some opinions/ideas on this thread that directly relate to the subject of Paul Wilson's teachings. Haven't seen any of that from you.

Why not explain why YOU think sliding is a great thing.  Don't hide behind what other members have said or what some book/DVD has said.  Offer some first hand knowledge about the subject, how YOU came to that opinion. Was it through your own practice and experience, and was so overwhelming that you absolutely knew that it was a universal truth for all of golfdom? If so, please share.  If it was just because someone else said it, then just let them say it instead of being a parrot.

Look, I don't have a dog in this race.  Slide, don't slide, I don't think about it one way or another.  But it gripes me when folks enter a discussion only to criticize others who are making an honest attempt to help others.  You can disagree all you like, but have some reason for that disagreement besides we know it's wrong .

For the sake of the thread I'm not going to turn this into why I think sliding the hips is good. I'll keep it short and sweet, every PGA pro or any good golfer for that matter, slides their hips. Its not "being a parrot" its called research and practice. From my own experience, sliding the hips helped me personally rid myself of many swing flaws. There's your "why its wrong" for ya. If you want me to go into more detail pm me. I'm done with this thread.

• 2 weeks later...
Paul, you are on the record as not teaching a lateral slide. Yes? That being said, have you favored in the ramifications on HSP (swing direction), resultant path, angle of attack, and overall launch and flight conditions....especially for the average low ball speed golfer?

Trackman Maestro,

I have always said the shift will occur to the left because you cannot get onto the tip of the back tip without the weight shifting.  If the shift will occur why think about it?  From the top of the backswing you have 1/4 of a second to impact.  If you are thinking "shift" when are you thinking "turn"?  If you think turn knowing full well the shift will occur you kill 2 birds with one stone.

If you solely think shift, you run the risk of shifting too much. The more you shift laterally, the more your upper body tilts back int he downswing. The more tilt, the more the path swings out at the ball.  If you tight the wrists with a severe inside/out path you block it or push fade it.  If you flip it you duck hook it.

There is lateral in the golf swing.  If there was no lateral you would be totally stuck on the back foot as you come down.  I am saying the lateral will happen on its own if you get to the tip of the back toe.

Paul Wilson

• Administrator

I have always said the shift will occur to the left because you cannot get onto the tip of the back tip without the weight shifting.  If the shift will occur why think about it?  From the top of the backswing you have 1/4 of a second to impact.  If you are thinking "shift" when are you thinking "turn"?  If you think turn knowing full well the shift will occur you kill 2 birds with one stone.

The point Joe's making is that the vast majority of golfers don't automatically shift, they turn primarily and leave their weight well on their back foot. Most golfers end up not killing any birds.

Originally Posted by pwgolfpro

If you solely think shift, you run the risk of shifting too much. The more you shift laterally, the more your upper body tilts back int he downswing. The more tilt, the more the path swings out at the ball.

I think Joe would agree with me that far more people shift too little than shift too much, and far more rotate too much than rotate too little, and far more swing too far left than too far right.

Note: This thread is 942 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!