• Announcements

    • iacas

      Create a Signature!   02/05/2016

      Everyone, go here and edit your signature this week: http://thesandtrap.com/settings/signature/.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DFrensdorff

Took the Gripping Plunge

26 posts in this topic

I was in dire need of some new grips, and after some research and YouTube info, I decided to take the do it myself plunge.  You read about the bad experiences, the mess etc, but I decided to try it anyway.  I bought some GP New Decades, a rubber vise grip, some tape, a hook blade, and no odor mineral spirits.  I have no negative to say about it.  Very straight forward and pretty darn easy to do.  What's nice is my grips will now be changed out more often.  For those considering it, don't be scared, it is a very doable endeavor.

Don

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I'm in the process of doing the same for the first time. I have just order GP Tour Wrap 2G grips and waiting for them to come in. Just hoping everything goes as easy as it looks.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It is very easy. I would say the hardest part is getting all of the old tape off. I wouldn't even call it hard, but just a pain sometimes.

I'm 1/2 way through my set now and enjoy the time doing it. Just need it to get warmer in the garage.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I enjoy getting the clubs out when the snow is still on the ground and putting on a new set of grips.  Gets me excited for spring time in New England.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by Ferg

It is very easy. I would say the hardest part is getting all of the old tape off. I wouldn't even call it hard, but just a pain sometimes.

I'm 1/2 way through my set now and enjoy the time doing it. Just need it to get warmer in the garage.


After you cut the grips, if the tape is not easily removed then just soak the butts in hot soapy water for 20 minutes.  It will come right off after that.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by LHGOLFR

I'm in the process of doing the same for the first time. I have just order GP Tour Wrap 2G grips and waiting for them to come in. Just hoping everything goes as easy as it looks.


Don't use tape strips in the golf grip kit from golfsmith (if that's where you bought it from)...for whatever reason i used that tape on a few with the 2g's and the grips rolled on me after a few swings from lack of contact...ended up pulling them off and regripping with some better tape...

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I must say, I felt much the same way before trying my hand at DIY regripping. Glad there's sites like youtube around to help so you can see it done rather than reading about it. I did have the luxury of having my old clubs from high school that I could practice on with some cheap grips until I got the hang of it. Now I regrip my clubs once a year and do it for my friends on occasion.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have a little station set up in my garage and it is kind of like owning a pick-up truck.  Everyone wants to borrow it or in this case, have you regrip their clubs.  I don't mind as I can do a set pretty quick.  As far as the tape strips, I have never had an issue.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought the strips online, but not from Golfsmith...........I haven't had any problem either.

As well, my regular golfing buddies are already in line for a regrip.  I don't know which philosophy to work with yet...."give a man a fish, and feed him for a day" or "teach a man to fish, and feed him for a lifetime".

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it's "teach a man to fish and he'll come over to have you teach him again once a year for the rest of your life".

Originally Posted by DFrensdorff

As well, my regular golfing buddies are already in line for a regrip.  I don't know which philosophy to work with yet...."give a man a fish, and feed him for a day" or "teach a man to fish, and feed him for a lifetime".



0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I live a fair ways distance from the nearest golf store of any quality. Dick's Sporting Goods not to far away, but they take several days to do anything!

I started out putting a new grip on my putter, just to see if I could do it. It went well so I ventured out a little.

Figured I would re-grip my brother's clubs for Christmas, and that went really well!

I will be re-gripping my irons now without any hesitation. It's a pretty good way to pass a cold, rainy, golfless Saturday!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last year I went with the Water-Activated Grip Tape because I was sick of the nasty fumes with the chemical ones.  I had no problems at all during the year with my grips.  I'll never go back to that headache causing mess.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites


Originally Posted by dbwood

I think it's "teach a man to fish and he'll come over to have you teach him again once a year for the rest of your life".

Quote:

Originally Posted by DFrensdorff

As well, my regular golfing buddies are already in line for a regrip.  I don't know which philosophy to work with yet...."give a man a fish, and feed him for a day" or "teach a man to fish, and feed him for a lifetime".

I thought it's "Give a man a fish and you'll feed him for a day, but teach a man to fish and he'll sit in a boat all day long drinking beer".


Originally Posted by idiotsoup

Last year I went with the Water-Activated Grip Tape because I was sick of the nasty fumes with the chemical ones.  I had no problems at all during the year with my grips.  I'll never go back to that headache causing mess.


Do you have a brand that worked for you?   I tried water-activated tape once and it just didn't seem to hold well - the grip gradually rotated a bit on the club through a few months of hitting.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

i started doing this a few years ago - best thing i ever learned to do

i replace grips a lot..more because i switch irons so much, and i HAVE TO HAVE my Tacki MAc Itomics on my irons!!! lol!

i can usually do 4-PW in like 35 mins start to finish now, its a breeze

being they dont sell those grips at golf town, it has saved me a tonn of cash

and at 3.69 a grip, doing them yourself, you cant NOT to replace them at least once a season

very very very easy job

as mentioned above, taking the old tape off is sometimes the hardest part

i just ordered a drip tray too....will save $$ in the long run on solvent

i use the orange smelling golfsmith stuff...works great with their tape too!

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I just did the grips for my father-in-law and he bought this spray called Brampton HF100 tape activator. It is in a spray bottle which makes it a lot cleaner process and there is less dripping. I did his set in 30 minutes because I used his existing tape to build up the grips.
0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

FULL ACK to the OP...

I wanted to give my irons new grips, so I did a short research at our local (and only) golfstore and got the creeps.

EUR 11,- for each grip (that's with TourVelvet Grips, with NDMC it's EUR 21,- per grip!!)

So I gave it a try with an old iron and cheap grip and it worked like a charm.

Since I got 25 NDMC cheap at the bay, I now saved myself about EUR 150,-, and here I already inlcuded the costs for tape and solvent.

greetings

michi

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I re-shafted my 9i and PW so I had to put grips on them.  I tried using the compressed air method.  First grip was a little fussy because I'd never tried it before and 110 lbs of air can blow something up pretty fast so I was nervous.  On the second grip I had more confidence and it went on fast, real fast.  I'll definitely do it that way again, no solvent, no sticky tape, take the grip off in seconds and re-use it on another club.  Slick.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites



Originally Posted by jclifton

I live a fair ways distance from the nearest golf store of any quality. Dick's Sporting Goods not to far away, but they take several days to do anything!


The funny thing is: I have a 'guy' at my local Dick's who does grips for me exactly how I like them. But I was told about him through a buddy and he worked somewhere else before going to the Wal-Mart of sporting goods.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0