IGNORED

Playing better against someone?!?

clg82
Note: This thread is 4811 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I know that is sounds kind of crazy but I find that I play my best golf when I am playing against someone.  Not necessarily competition, but while playing with friends, or even in competition.  Why is this and do any of you play the same way?

Driver: DIABLO EDGE
Hybrid: 5DX
Irons: X-22 Irons 4-PW
Wedge: X-22 51* AW, CG15 54*/58*
Putter: Method 001Ball: Penta TP

I almost always play a little better with a group even if I don't know them.  I think I tend to concentrate more and we all know that any lapse in concentration can turn an easy par into a double real fast.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

nobody likes to loose! even if you say "this round is just for fun" when the guy you playing with/against nails one down the fairway, sticks an approach, or drains a long put you cant help but think that you have to do the same if not better.

Keep it where the mowers go!

I know that is sounds kind of crazy but I find that I play my best golf when I am playing against someone.  Not necessarily competition, but while playing with friends, or even in competition.  Why is this and do any of you play the same way?

This is perfectly logical and doesn't seem crazy at all! When you play with or against someone, you focus more and most of the time that equates to better overall play.

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

For the most part I play better when playing competitive.  WIth exception to a couple of guys who I just really struggle with even though I am actually a better golfer than they are.

What's in my bag:
Driver: taylormade.gifBurner 09 Stiff 9.5*
Fairway Woods: adams.gifRPM Low Profile 3 & 5
Irons: mizuno.gifMP 57 - 3-PW Project X 5.5
Wedges: wilson.gifREG. 588 54* &cleveland.gif 60*Putter: ping.gifAnserBall: titleist.gifProV1x Home Course: Forest Ridge Golf Club

It's just my concentration level. Playing tournament or even a few bucks on the line will get my attention. If I'm just out by myself, very rarely will I play well.

In my FT bag I have:
D3 9.5
XHot 15D 3W
Rescue Hybrids 22 and 17 degree
Apex Edge 5-E 52, 56 and 60 ProV1X

I actually play better alone. I don't know why, but it could have something to do with the fact that me and my friend are always competing to win every round and my focus is just not there.

Frank

taylormade.gifBurner Superfast 2.0 3 Wood, RBZ Tour 2 Hybrid, Burner Superfast 2.0 3 Hybrid
taylormade.gif Burner 2.0 Irons 4-PW
titleist.gif 50*, 54*, 60* Vokey Wedges

taylormade.gif Corza Ghost Putter

I have to agree with everyone. I play better when I play with people, especially people I don't know because I concentrate more.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

For me I play better when I play with someone who is better than me. That type of person brings out my best golf.

On the other hand if I play with someone not as good as me I tend to play at their level which results in a higher score for me.

I tend to play to my level of competition, good or bad.  I usually like to play with at least one person that is better than me so I can have someone to compete with and try to bring out the best in me

I have a harder time playing against my teacher than i do anyone else.  He is 25 and I am 28 and it is hard to play against someone that bombs it 300 down the fairway everytime without me trying to swing out of my shoes lol

Driver: DIABLO EDGE
Hybrid: 5DX
Irons: X-22 Irons 4-PW
Wedge: X-22 51* AW, CG15 54*/58*
Putter: Method 001Ball: Penta TP

Competition seems to bring out the best of me, everytime.

I think, that's because I've been into competitive sports since I was 6, I guess.

greetings

michi

"I have my own golf course and Par is whatever I say it is. There's a hole which is a Par13 and yesterday I damn nearly birdied that sucker." - Willie Nelson

Note: This thread is 4811 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!