IGNORED

Need a Tip: AP2 or ZB?

Note: This thread is 4790 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hi everyone!

I'm new on the sand trap and I need your experienced feedback about my next buy:

I just broke my Pw on the practice range and I figured out it was time to change my beloved (but 9 y-o) Nike Pro-combo's.

So I need your advice about the AP2 and the ZB forged...

I allready tried the AP2 but I'm not totally convinced about them, they are easy to strike with a great forgiveness but I miss a bit of punch that I had with the Nike. I'd like to try the ZB but I can't find them anywhere here in France.

So it's gonna be a blinded buy...

What's in my bag:

Driver: SMT Nemesis 370 9° Eon Competition fitted

3W: Nike T40 15° Stiff

Hyb: Titleist 909H 19° Aldila Voodoo Stiff

3-Pw: Nike ProCombo

Gw: Cleveland reg 588 51°

Lw: Cleveland reg 588 56°

Putter: Scotty Cameron Detour Newport 2.5

Thanks for the tips ;)

It's a personal preference, so we can't really say how the ZBs will feel for you. I would opt for getting clubs you've tried, or maybe go with a different set you can try that feels good. What replies you get here won't give any answers as to whether the ZBs will work for you.

Here is some reading material that might help.

http://www.google.no/search?client=opera&rls;=en&q;=ap2+vs+zb&sourceid;=opera&ie;=utf-8&oe;=utf-8&channel;=suggest

http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/151970-ap2-vs-zb/

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/15707/titleist-zb-vs-ap2/18

http://thesandtrap.com/forum/thread/21258/titleist-zb-forged-vs-ap2

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I think that the ZBs will give you that certain je ne sais quoi that you are looking for...they are a sweet set and I would pick them over the AP2s every day of the week.  I own the 735 cms which is the previous blended set and just love them! It would be nice to hit them first but I took a chance because I knew what I wanted and have been around long enough to know that they would be fine especially with the DG S300s.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I'm currently playing the ZM set, which shares the 8-PW with the ZB set if i recall correctly.  I think the ZB is a great compromise, and would likely prefer it in my own bag as well.

For what it's worth, the musclebacks in the set are about what you could expect.  Very clean looking, good turf interaction, nice solid feel and relatively unforgiving.

In the Bag: TaylorMade R11 TP - TaylorMade R7 TP TS - Cleveland Halo - TM TP 2009 3-PW - Vokey SM 52 - Vokey SM 60 - Rife Barbados CS - ProV1x 

On the Computer:  Analyzr Pro 

Originally Posted by delav

For what it's worth, the musclebacks in the set are about what you could expect.  Very clean looking, good turf interaction, nice solid feel and relatively unforgiving.

That is what I thought when I ordered my 735s and that is exactly what I received.  Blade scoring tools for solid feel and workability, and then a little forgiveness working up the line.  The OP has the 588 gap wedge which should give him a relative idea on how the short irons should be.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I liked the AP2 better than the ZBs, but I think the ZBs look better.

If you like your Nike Pro Combo, why not consider this year's version, the Victory Red Pro Combo irons?  Check out http://thesandtrap.com/b/clubs/nike_victory_red_vr_pro_combo_irons_review for a review of them.

Incidentally, my pitching wedge is from last year's VR blades.  Of course, if you're looking to replace a whole set of irons, picking up just a PW won't help you much.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I went through this decision a couple of years go deciding on the two.  I ended up with the ZBs.  After extensive testing of the two, I just liked them better.  After hitting the newer, 710 AP2, I would prefer them.  I don't know exactly what they changed, but I found I preferred them over the original.  I have no reason (or the means) to switch, but that is my evaluation of the two.  That being said, I have no reason to replace the ZBs I am using, still as good as ever for me.

I will judge my rounds much more by the quality of my best shots than the acceptability of my worse ones.

its a tough decision. i am currently on my second set of the 2009 ZM's i battled whether to switch to the ap2. Had i had the opportunity to do so again i would go with the ap2. When you have your game rolling ofcourse there is nothing nicer than the zbs or zms. but... the ap2 is the best iron out there IMO. the workability is great and they cover up your misses nicely. If youre worried about hitting it lower just beef up your shafts a bit. go with the ap2. thats my advice.

Ping Hoofer Team
TaylorMade Tour Burner TP 8.5* Mitsubishi Rayon Diamana 65 Stiff
Titleist 13.5* 906F Aldila VS Proto 'ByYou' 80-S
TaylorMade TP Smoke Irons 3-PW Project X Rifled 6.0
Cleveland CG 12 ZIP Grooves 54* 58* Scotty Cameron Studio Style 1.5 35' Golf Pride Butter Grip. Titleist...

Note: This thread is 4790 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!