IGNORED

Round Putter Grips

Note: This thread is 910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I just regripped all of my clubs with PURE grips... I ordered 13 and had one more of the same style (the soft wrap) from the demos that they sent me... I ended up putting it on my putter, we'll see how that goes but like I said earlier I doubt my putting will get worse from it.  I'll update here after a few rounds on how it goes.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have always replaced the flat faced grip with round ones. My first putter was an old bullseye style that came with a round grip. When I got my first ping anser, the flat grip just felt wrong. My Odyssey 2 Ball and Cleveland Classic both have Tacki Mac wrap style regular club grips on them.

In my  Warbird Hot stand bag:
nike.gif Dymo2 Str8 fit 10.5 or  HiBore XLS 10.5,  Steelhead Plus 3 and 5 woods,

NP2 3H,  DCI 990 4-PW,  Forged + 54/12,  RAC 58/8,

Classic #1,  NXT Tour or  Burner TP

• 1 year later...

The Grip on any club wont shift if installed correctly, ESPECIALLY on the putter. even if you did swing the putter full speed, a grip put on right wont move.

Yes you can put a round grip on the putter they do make them, you can also put regular club grips on a putter provided they are the smaller .580 inside diameter grips, the tape on the inside isn't masking tape its sticky on one side mildly tacky on the other then using the liquid tape activator that also helps to slide the grip on when your done the activator turns the slightly tacky dry adhesive into liquid then it sets and the grip is set in place.

The tape activator not only activates the adhesive on the tape and sets the grip, it helps you slide the grip on so its a very quick and easy process, and if you mess up the alignment all you have to do is turn it a bit and correct it, without the tape the grip isnt secure and it will twist stretch and be ruined if you use the tape and no activator you most likely wont even get one grip on, and if you do it will be twisted and bunched and ruined, so spend the extra $10 for the right tape and activator and do it right

If you dont use the right tape or use something else the grip will twist and move, and not only will it hurt your swing the grip will stretch and loosen and fall apart alot faster and possibly just come off.

I learned how to putt with an old ben hogan brass blade with a spiral wrapped grip and once I got a new putter with the flat grip it took some getting used to but I love it now the flat sides allow you to have more open palms therefore a lighter grip and a straighter back and forth stroke.

If you pay for a Regrip and the grips are twisted or the putter grip isnt lined up properly make them do it again, All the lines or patterns on the grip should look like they did with the grip off, you will easily notice if the grip is twisted even a small amount. And with the flat putter grip its even easier to see.

If your Missing putts to one direction practice you have one dominant eye and you will tend to optically favor that side check your swing path over a ruler or a line on a piece of paper and of your not going straight back and through work untill you get it right,

Also try getting into your stance stake your putter just off the ground and relax, most will find the putter wants to come in toward the body put from that position I had to trim my putter down to 31" because the 34" would occasionally catch on my shirt.

• 3 years later...
I have an Edel putter with the stock round Edel grip. I prefer it over flat top putter grips. I think alignment is more accurate, and it feels as if the chance of rotating the face offline with your hands is less with a round grip. It's a feel thing...

JP Bouffard

"I cut a little driver in there." -- Jim Murray

Driver: Titleist 915 D3, ACCRA Shaft 9.5*.
3W: Callaway XR,
3,4 Hybrid: Taylor Made RBZ Rescue Tour, Oban shaft.
Irons: 5-GW: Mizuno JPX800, Aerotech Steelfiber 95 shafts, S flex.
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM5 56 degree, M grind
Putter: Edel Custom Pixel Insert 

• 6 years later...
  • Administrator

https://edel-golf-podcast.simplecast.com/episodes/the-hidden-influence-of-putter-grips-on-aim

EPISODE SUMMARY

David Edel answers a question about the grip and why Edel Golf has found huge benefits in golfers using the round putter grip.

EPISODE NOTES

Welcome back to another installment of the Edel Golf Podcast.  One of the things I love so much about doing these is that it allows me to interact with our listeners and customers.

I recently received a question from a listener asking, “What is your experience with grips in the marketplace and why did you design your own?”

As part of developing our putter fitting process, I had to find a way to make round grips interchangeable.  I initially came across round grips from Natural Golf, which was modeled after the one-plane motion of Mo Norman.  Over time, it occurred to me that there was a direct correlation between aim bias and putter grips.  In short, round grips made a lot of sense in this regard.

One day I went to visit my good friend, Mike Schy, in Fresno.  One of his pupils was “one of the best putters in collegiate golf.”  She had been using an Edel putter since she was a junior but as of late, she was struggling with her putting.  I noticed she had switched to a flatted grip instead of the round one she’d always used.  After performing an aim test, we found out she was aiming way left with the flatted grip.  After we switched out the flatted grip for a round grip, she aimed the face perfectly.  It was from this interaction that I learned that the grip on a putter really does affect someone’s ability to aim properly.

“The grip is the first primary connection you have to the putter… and it’s the easiest to change…”  Furthermore, because grips come in different weights, “the counterreaction…. which is also called counterbalance…” plays a significant role in the bigger picture of how we interact with our putter.

Armed with this information, I sent the PGM Program at Mississippi State a bunch of round grips so they could perform a study doing aim tests with two exact putters – one with a flatted grip and the other with a round grip.  Their findings were substantial.  There was a 4.3” difference in aim bias.

This was yet further evidence that confirmed putters with round grips are easier to aim than putters with non-round grips.  Why?  “I don’t believe that the grip should be the alignment system… The hands feel something different from what the eyes see… This produces noise…”  These two perceptive aiming forces produce a lot of conflicting information that makes it difficult to aim correctly for most golfers.

I further learned that “how we hold a putter should dictate what kind of grip we should use…”  For some golfers, a flatted grip might be correct.  For a lot of golfers, however, a round grip makes the most sense.  It was based on this information that we developed our grip fitting process.

Part of that fitting process has a lot to do with the size of the grip.  So “who would need a larger grip and who would need a smaller grip?”  There’s a lot that goes into this but, what we’ve consistently found through research, is that players that exhibit left-aim bias benefit from larger grips because their body’s natural reaction is to close off the hips.  Conversely, players with right-aim bias or relatively square aim, might be alright with midsize or smaller grips.

With this in mind, it’s imperative to remember that when we change grips, we change weight.  And when we change weight, we have to account for lots of other variables.  Fortunately, we do that with both our putter and grip fitting systems.

In the end, “the more we can simplify the putting motion...” the easier it is to become a better, more consistent putter.

I’m the first to admit, there’s a lot of technical information in this podcast.  However, I think it’s important to get the right, scientifically proven information out to the masses so they can better understand what we believe in and, become better putters themselves.

If you have questions, feel free to give us a call or, head over to EdelGolf.com and shoot us a message.  I can’t wait for our next episode and as always, thanks for tuning in!

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 910 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!