Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GLax2

Getting My First Set of Irons

18 posts in this topic

I just started playing golf this February, and I've been using my grandpa's old Cobra oversized Senior Irons. I was at my local golf store, and saw a set of barely used Titleist AP1 irons for $420. They are 3-PW and S300 shafts. I have a swing speed of 86 but I've been told its going to increase very soon. I'm 17 and about 6 feet tall if that matters. Is this a good deal?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to get rid of this advertisement? Sign up (or log in) today! It's free!

I don't think it's a good deal. I think you should go to a Walmart, pick up some Jack Nicklaus Golden Bear full set or something similar that's endorsed by a legend for $99 to $129. Pick up a $10 putter of your choice, pick up a dozen Top-Flites, put the money saved toward green fees and roll to the course knowing your equipment is as good if not better than anyone's.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by GLax2

I just started playing golf this February, and I've been using my grandpa's old Cobra oversized Senior Irons. I was at my local golf store, and saw a set of barely used Titleist AP1 irons for $420. They are 3-PW and S300 shafts. I have a swing speed of 86 but I've been told its going to increase very soon. I'm 17 and about 6 feet tall if that matters. Is this a good deal?

Nothing wrong with Cobra Oversized Irons from the 90's.

Don't know the shafts but senior flex may suit you better for the moment.

Tell us more about your game.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by PinnacleGold

I don't think it's a good deal. I think you should go to a Walmart, pick up some Jack Nicklaus Golden Bear full set or something similar that's endorsed by a legend for $99 to $129. Pick up a $10 putter of your choice, pick up a dozen Top-Flites, put the money saved toward green fees and roll to the course knowing your equipment is as good if not better than anyone's.

I respectfully disagree. If spending 420 is not a problem with you then go for it. If you get a walmart set, you will grow out of it and have to buy new clubs anyways. AP1 is a great set to start with and even finish with. If money is going to be a problem then go to walmart in order to save for  green fees and other clubs.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I am on a budget, these fit my budget. Saving for green fees isn't my first priority because the club my grandfather belongs to lets me play for free. The Pro that i get lessons from has been telling me for a few weeks that I need new clubs soon because I'm getting more comfortable with a faster swing. My Handicap is around 30. I feel like new clubs will help me improve because i just don't feel very confident with senior flex shafts.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by GLax2

While I am on a budget, these fit my budget. Saving for green fees isn't my first priority because the club my grandfather belongs to lets me play for free. The Pro that i get lessons from has been telling me for a few weeks that I need new clubs soon because I'm getting more comfortable with a faster swing. My Handicap is around 30. I feel like new clubs will help me improve because i just don't feel very confident with senior flex shafts.

Getting new clubs wont directly make you lower your hcp, but if you are not confident with your current clubs you will never lower your hcp. Also dont forget about drivers, hybrids, woods, and wedges. An up to date driver will help more than up to date irons and your wedges should not be worn out either.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In that case, it seems a decent price for almost new 710 AP1's - saw them for $400 used to $699 new.

But make sure you like them at setup. Twirl them in your hands, look at them, get comfy with them ... or not. There is always another set of clubs.

And if you do get them, don't worry about the 3-5i for now. The S300 are sturdy shafts and mishits won't feel good, especially in the long irons. They always seem to feel worse. lol.

Good luck.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Mr. Desmond

In that case, it seems a decent price for almost new 710 AP1's - saw them for $400 used to $699 new.

But make sure you like them at setup. Twirl them in your hands, look at them, get comfy with them ... or not. There is always another set of clubs.

And if you do get them, don't worry about the 3-5i for now. The S300 are sturdy shafts and mishits won't feel good, especially in the long irons. They always seem to feel worse. lol.

Good luck.

Actually, they are 712's. And I've always seemed to hit my 3i pretty cleanly.

And BHP, i know they're not magic, but when I hit them on the launch monitor they felt very good. I also got a new to me callaway razr hawk in June for my birthday.

Is there anything i should ask the store about them before i buy them?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by GLax2

Actually, they are 712's. And I've always seemed to hit my 3i pretty cleanly.

And BHP, i know they're not magic, but when I hit them on the launch monitor they felt very good. I also got a new to me callaway razr hawk in June for my birthday.

Is there anything i should ask the store about them before i buy them?

It shouldnt be a problem but i would ask if they are real and not counterfit. I doubt a local store would have counterfit clubs but you never know. Also the Razr Hawk is a great driver. My brother has it and he loves it.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

How do I know if the lofts/lie/length are standard?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by GLax2

How do I know if the lofts/lie/length are standard?

Ask the person at the store. If they dont know then they should be able to put it on a machine and it will tell you.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Okay thank you. I'll go back by the store tomorrow and take another look. Is there a way i can tell if the clubs are fake? like a serial number? Also, where in NC are you from bhp?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by GLax2

Okay thank you. I'll go back by the store tomorrow and take another look. Is there a way i can tell if the clubs are fake? like a serial number? Also, where in NC are you from bhp?

The club would just look a little different. Sometimes unrecognizable differences but there is always something. You can call titleist and check the serial number to match to those clubs. If it is a local reputable store, it shouldnt be a problem unless they buy/sell stuff on ebay. I go to school at ECU but when im home im in Charlotte.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by GLax2

I just started playing golf this February, and I've been using my grandpa's old Cobra oversized Senior Irons. I was at my local golf store, and saw a set of barely used Titleist AP1 irons for $420. They are 3-PW and S300 shafts. I have a swing speed of 86 but I've been told its going to increase very soon. I'm 17 and about 6 feet tall if that matters. Is this a good deal?

You are 17 you need to keep gramps irons talent will be revealed with them if you have any, Save your money for a CAR! It is amazing how few golf courses can be played without wheels. Also insurance, chicks (assume you are male), , college, chicks, green fees, chicks, clothes, chicks, big screen TV for video games, chicks etc etc etc, chicks etc etc etc.......................

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by Jon Robert

You are 17 you need to keep gramps irons talent will be revealed with them if you have any, Save your money for a CAR! It is amazing how few golf courses can be played without wheels. Also insurance, chicks (assume you are male), , college, chicks, green fees, chicks, clothes, chicks, big screen TV for video games, chicks etc etc etc, chicks etc etc etc.......................

I have already bought myself a car, and this is an early hanukkah present.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Originally Posted by GLax2

How do I know if the lofts/lie/length are standard?

That's a great price for 712s AP1.

Go to www.titleist.com and print out the specs. When you go to the store, have them measure loft, length, and lie. Check out the serial number on the clubs, call Titleist and see if they are authentic.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

When i called in the serial number to Titleist, they said that originally the clubs were 2* flat and 1/2" long. But at the store he measured them and said they were standard in all ways. Would shortening the shafts have changed anything?

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I've been lurking on these forums, i see everywhere that "those clubs wont magically make you better." I respectfully think y'all are full of stinky. I bought the AP1's today and when i took them to the range i was hiting 20 yards further and a lot more consistently. I'm playing a round tomorrow and hope to finally break 100. I appreciate your help with my previous questions, BHP and Mr D. Thanks.

0

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0